Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2023, 10:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Cab overhead shelf options.

I decided to add a cabin overhead shelf for my NCV3 Sprinter van. Options include:

1. White Top Adventure, aluminum, powder coated has option for front or rear curtain rack or rod. https://www.whitetopadventures.com/....eadliner-shelf

2. RB Components Raised Overhead shelf, aluminum, powder coated, https://rbcomponents.com/products/sp...nt=42642754064

3. Radius outfitter https://radiusoutfitters.com/produc....iABEgJr6PD_BwE

4. My design with Radius Outfitter like cut-out raised to access factory shelves which I use often.

I am 6’2” after spine surgery so ingress and egress from the van to the driver seat is important. Ideal for me would be a Radius Outfitter shelf with the middle cutout at RB’s raised height.

I sent an email to Radius Outfitters asking if they plan to introduce their shelf allowing access to factory shelves.

Please share your thoughts.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #2

Default Head banging decision

My shelf was a constant head banger when we first purchased the van. Once being a significant neck/spine jolter!
Being this would be a new addition to your van and you’ve likely developed some unconscious habits concerning entry to the seat from the cabin I would opt for the shelf that would proved the best alternative of space AND accessibility.
There are options, DIY and overpriced aftermath, for solutions to pad that headbump area. Depends on how quickly we learn to duck sooner I guess as to what works for each of us.
Texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasnielsen View Post
My shelf was a constant head banger when we first purchased the van. Once being a significant neck/spine jolter!
Being this would be a new addition to your van and you’ve likely developed some unconscious habits concerning entry to the seat from the cabin I would opt for the shelf that would proved the best alternative of space AND accessibility.
There are options, DIY and overpriced aftermath, for solutions to pad that headbump area. Depends on how quickly we learn to duck sooner I guess as to what works for each of us.
Thank you for your post. I am currently thinking about the following options:

1. Copy this design - https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i.../#post-1334727

2. Design a shelf from 1” 80/20 or ˝” tent poles and a cargo net. Shelf would be mounted at a steep angle with rear edge at 6-8” from the headliner max and front lowest possible but allowing full access to the factory overhead shelves.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Change of plans. I purchased Shuksan"s cab shelf for our 2013 Sprinter. Why I decided on Shuksan:

1. It is mounted high allowing full access to over sun visor pockets. In discussion with the shop owner, he shared that full utilization of these pockets was his design goal.
2. Strong construction with double bend of rear enforcement
3. Rounded corners in case of head hit
4. Front L-track will allow a few hooks
5. Rear curtain bar which could be used for towels.

The shelf was extremely well packed, it fits the headliner contour very well, overall fit and finish excellent.

I regret that I didn’t add this shelf earlier, was too concerned about ingress and egress. I mounted the shelf yesterday and tested how easy was to get in and out, no issue.

I will add pictures later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHUKSVAN.jpg (165.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-02-2023, 11:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Change of plans. I purchased Shuksan"s cab shelf for our 2013 Sprinter. Why I decided on Shuksan:

1. It is mounted high allowing full access to over sun visor pockets. In discussion with the shop owner, he shared that full utilization of these pockets was his design goal.
2. Strong construction with double bend of rear enforcement
3. Rounded corners in case of head hit
4. Front L-track will allow a few hooks
5. Rear curtain bar which could be used for towels.

The shelf was extremely well packed, it fits the headliner contour very well, overall fit and finish excellent.

I regret that I didn’t add this shelf earlier, was too concerned about ingress and egress. I mounted the shelf yesterday and tested how easy was to get in and out, no issue.

I will add pictures later.
Great choice! I installed the same one in my new Sprinter last week. I researched a number of these shelves and like you found the Shuksan to be the best for my use.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Does the Sprinter have side airbags that these shelves will interfere with? I was going to add one to our Transit but they would mess with the airbag deployment.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:05 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
Does the Sprinter have side airbags that these shelves will interfere with? I was going to add one to our Transit but they would mess with the airbag deployment.
Side airbags are up to top of side windows, about 8" below a shelf. Scroll down to safety page to see the airbags picture. https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...cient-vanagon/
Old 11-03-2023, 01:40 AM   #8
Platinum Member

We have the overhead cab shelf. Duffle bags with clothes fit nicely because they can be squished down to fit the curvature of the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mies with Turned around Seats & Tables.jpeg (328.3 KB, 11 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 04:33 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Are these LED lights?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mies with Turned around Seats & Tables.jpeg (379.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 04:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Yes. All the lights are LED. That pink light at the baseboards can be any color with a dial. That is just a thing ARV does I guess for effect. There are panels of six touch buttons everywhere including each bunk bed that can control all the lighting and the water pump at the Silverleaf control panel, kitchen counter and bathroom.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Overhead shelf is finished. I added the curtain for short nights, the windshield and front windows curtain take more time to attach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZBY01213.jpg (116.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ZBY01214.jpg (112.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ZBY01215.jpg (117.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ZBY01216.jpg (213.4 KB, 3 views)