Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2023, 02:18 AM   #1

Default Dodge Class B 2000 model year rear suspension

Hi folks:

I made a deal to purchase a 2000 American Cruiser, which is built on the Dodge 3500, with the 5.9 liter engine. I'm not finding a whole lot using the search feature on that particular RV brand, but I do know that Roadtrek, as well as Pleasure Way built on that same chassis.

My concern is the very short (127.5) in. wheelbase. The particular Motorhome I'm considering is the "X" model, which in this case means they extended it an extra foot beyond normal. I believe it's something like 21 ft. maybe 21.5'. I'll post a couple of pictures for reference.

On top of this extra length, American Cruiser also attached a rather high fiberglass top, and it's completely populated with solid oak (heavy) cabinetry. It reminds me a lot of the Chinook. I will also post a picture for reference.

Lastly, the company put the 31 gallon freshwater tank behind the wheels, in fact, It extends almost all the way back to the back door. On top of that you've got the three cubic foot refrigerator of the absorption style on the same side, and on the opposite side is an air conditioner. All of this stuff is behind the wheels, so essentially it's hanging off the back.

I'm also told that on the Dodge 3500 van the front and the rear wheels are not in alignment. The rear wheels, if I recall correctly, are inset a bit from the front wheels. This can be remedied with spacers, although I'm not sure if it requires extended studs, but I would think so. Separate issue there.

My main question here is what is this going to do to the stability of the van? On the Roadtrek 210, which would be the same length, I believe it has a 155 inch wheelbase (Chevy chassis). And if I recall the earlier ones from 2000 were a 200 model, which suggests it was actually 20 ft not 21 ft.

In model year 2001 American Cruiser went to a Dually rear end, so if this was not required it begs the question why they would do that. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of owners of the American Cruiser here and particularly not of the longer "X" model

There are quite a few Class B's built on the Dodge chassis though, so it seems like owners of Roadtreks or Pleasure ways could provide some feedback. I do not know where Roadtrek and Pleasure Way installed their water tanks, but given that the gas tank is about in the middle of the van I would think it's towards the rear, not the front.

I have a couple more days to back out of my current deal so I would appreciate any feedback. It's possible an air suspension system may fix any issues, but I'm not sure how expensive that would be to install. I really don't want to have to start spending money immediately on a brand-new purchase though. I like the layout of this particular van, but I can already tell it's going to be tough to get any help as I think there were only 300 of them made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgif-4-f775bc25b9.jpg (229.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ezgif-5-5575a16a5a.jpg (258.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg ezgif-5-8e2724d62a.jpg (231.1 KB, 22 views)
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote