Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2022, 06:04 PM   #1

Default looking for rear axle assembly 2007 Chevy 210P Roadtrek

Looking for a rear axle assembly.....Hubby is doing some repair and maintenance on our 2007 210P Roadtrek. Back story, the previous owner had a high speed rear tire blow out and evidently the rear whole axle was replaced with a Ford instead the Chevy Express 3500 GT5. The van runs great but there is a bit of a whine coming from the rear end. We are looking for a 2007 Chevy Express Van 3500 2wd GT5 (not a cutaway or a dually) single wheel rear axle. Specifically 1 ton rated, 10.5 ring gear, 4.10 ratio, full float. He removed and serviced the generator located behind the rear axle and wants to do the axle swap before reinstalling the generator. We have already tried local salvage yards and have done exhaustive internet searches in the US and Canada. If any of you mechanically inclined owners have any other suggestions on where to look, we'd appreciate the help.
rstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarr View Post
Looking for a rear axle assembly.....Hubby is doing some repair and maintenance on our 2007 210P Roadtrek. Back story, the previous owner had a high speed rear tire blow out and evidently the rear whole axle was replaced with a Ford instead the Chevy Express 3500 GT5. The van runs great but there is a bit of a whine coming from the rear end. We are looking for a 2007 Chevy Express Van 3500 2wd GT5 (not a cutaway or a dually) single wheel rear axle. Specifically 1 ton rated, 10.5 ring gear, 4.10 ratio, full float. He removed and serviced the generator located behind the rear axle and wants to do the axle swap before reinstalling the generator. We have already tried local salvage yards and have done exhaustive internet searches in the US and Canada. If any of you mechanically inclined owners have any other suggestions on where to look, we'd appreciate the help.

You will be hard pressed to find a GT5 in a 10.5". It gets even harder if you want the G80 Govlock option on it. You are much more likely to find an GT4 which is 3.73 gears. Since you should have the axle gone through before putting it in to make sure it is good and to set gear lash, you could easily at not horrible cost, do a gear swap to the 4.10 gears which can be done without removing the pinion if the pinion bearings are still good, which is like even at 150K miles on a 10.5.

Try different search terms, particularly on ebay but don't make a long string of them all at the same time. Do the vehicle make and model rear axle and then things like Dana 70s, Dana 10.5", full floater, and anything else you can think of. I did that for a long, long, time on ebay and finally found one that had all of the items including GT5 and G80 but it came from the N.E. and was very rusty so backing plates, rotors, etc couldn't be used and the hubs faces were rusty enough to make getting decent runout very hard even with more angled shims that is desirable. That was also nearly 10 years ago. It will be harder now.

Good luck, I haven't regretted doing our 2007 190 ever. I did finally replace the hubs this year while they were still available and with the good bearings but that was not inexpensive but better runout on the rotors now.

A lot of the 2007 9.75" axles were bad from the factory. Ours failed at about 12K miles and then again at just over 20K after a warranty rebuild. It appears the castings were bad so rebuilding again would useless and since I needed to get a complete axle anyway I upgraded.

Did your axle break or just get chewed up by a bad wheel bearing? It is very likely, I think, that the bad bearing would have contributed to the blowout because it would make the axle run very hot which also make the wheels and tires run hot.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

the 2007 210p is on a 2006 chev chassis ?

Have you tried Arizona Differential on 36th Ave in PHX ?

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #4

Default AZ diff

thanks Mike.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #5

thanks for sharing your insights. We are going to continue the hunt for a used axle assembly after our warm weather trips this year. Cheers!
Old 03-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Here you go, I think. Quite a few with 3.73 GT4 option and reasonable cost. Do a gear swap and checkout and should be ready to go back in.

https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-...atio,-opt-gt4)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:28 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Here you go, I think. Quite a few with 3.73 GT4 option and reasonable cost. Do a gear swap and checkout and should be ready to go back in.

https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-...atio,-opt-gt4)
Interestingly enough one of the results close to me, this one, is a semi-floater, probably a Dana 60s. It's obvious as they have a picture of the rear axle and it is flush with the wheel, doesn't stick out like a full floater would.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear axle assembly gt5