Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 03:15 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Remote monitoring of engine parameters

SteveJ,
In one of your threads you mention "I run a phone app with an app that monitors the on board computer so I can monitor the transmission temps "..... could you tell us how you go about doing this and what the name of the apps are? I think it could be really helpful in troubleshooting problems that arise on the road. Thank you
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
SteveJ,
In one of your threads you mention "I run a phone app with an app that monitors the on board computer so I can monitor the transmission temps "..... could you tell us how you go about doing this and what the name of the apps are? I think it could be really helpful in troubleshooting problems that arise on the road. Thank you
I use OBD fusion, have for about 6 years. The app itself costs a few $. I have Android, I would ASS U ME it's available on Apple.

It requires a dongle(it runs on Bluetooth) to plug into the OSBII port of the car/vehicle, somewhere around $10-15 on Amazon. This port is mandatory on '96 and newer vehicles. Older stuff will not work with the OBD.

For trans temps you will need a non stock "PID", I think that it is under personal PIDs. An email to the maker of this app will return an answer within a day, at least that has been my experience, with a definitive answer on how to do it all. It is quite simple.

When transferring to a new phone everything is pretty seamless except the trans temp has to be set up again(IIRC).

I haven't done it yet but it is supposed tp be easy to switch vehicles.

This app has a gazillion different ways to set up one or multiple pages of gauges. Aside from trans temp I have coolant temp, speed, current MPG, intake air temp, RPM, and a big one, throttle percent. The throttle percent gauge is extremely helpful in maintaining transmission torque converter lock up when climbing grades.

There are other apps out there that seem to work fine. I have no experience with them.

All in for less than $20, this has been by far the best value mod that has been added to the Roadtrek, and soon to the Safari Trek.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Gold Member

Further to Steve’s reply above, some OBD connectors are hardwired (like Scangauge) to a proprietary display. The wireless OBD dongles we are talking about here that send the data to a phone app can be Bluetooth or wifi. I’ve tried both and definitely recommend bluetooth as it is lower power usage on your phone or tablet than wifi.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertiboo View Post
Further to Steve’s reply above, some OBD connectors are hardwired (like Scangauge) to a proprietary display. The wireless OBD dongles we are talking about here that send the data to a phone app can be Bluetooth or wifi. I’ve tried both and definitely recommend bluetooth as it is lower power usage on your phone or tablet than wifi.
Torque Pro with the ELM-327 OBD plug works also.
And also very low priced. $20 ish for whole shebang.
As Bertiboo suggests, Bluetooth is preferable.
Going to try Steves setup now; sounds really decent.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Just wondering if anyone using apps have compared the reported transmission fluid temperature to any other device like a Scan Gauge?

I mention it because, on a Ford I had, I tried a few Torque app equations that I found on forums but the reported temperatures were different than what my Scangauge or Forscan (Ford specific) app reported. It seem that folks were assuming the equations worked because it reported a temperature within the possible range of temperatures.

Forscan reported the exact same temperature as Scangauge so I concluded Torque app was wrong.

It'll be interested to hear what others have found when comparing the temperature reported from different devices and apps.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We use a Scangauge plug in to OBD port but permanently mounted. Works well.

I personally like all my monitoring stuff to be built in so no hassles or redoing it all if I get a new phone.

Re using the TPS position to control downshifting issues. I used to do that also with the Scangauge but found it was a bit inconsistent as the shiftpoints are both TPS and speed dependent. On the later models of Chevies, post 2006, they are also drive by wire, so the pedal position and TPS position don't necessarily change the same. I switched to using the engine "load" readout on the Scangauge as it appears to display the % engine load as being the amount of load on the engine compared to max output it could be doing at that rpm and conditions. It seems to give a much better prediction of downshifts coming.

As a sidebar, most of our downshifting complaints are gone now anyway, as I got a tuner and change the downshift and lockup points in the programming. Much less downshifting on typical rolling hills and such.

Re Marko's question on consistency between gauges I have compared the Scangauge to the data log collection side of the tuner I have which reads the PCM directly and the temps were the same. I also have added a transmission pan oil gauge just to see how the computer temp matched the temps we are used to seeing on gauges in the past. The computer temp runs consistently higher but gets to be very close to the same on long, even load, level sections of driving. The computer temp climbs much faster when we go up a hill than the pan temp does, but doesn't drop as fast as it goes up when we are back level. Some of these differences are probably also being generated because we have only stand alone big trans coolers and not in the radiator any more, plus a bypass thermostat in the system. Our trans temps stay within about 15*F almost all the time centered around about 175 degrees.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=booster;121291]
As a sidebar, most of our downshifting complaints are gone now anyway, as I got a tuner and change the downshift and lockup points in the programming. Much less downshifting on typical rolling hills and such..."

Which Tuner did you get?
My Edge Evolution Tuner bit the dust and want to get something that can switch Modes on-the-fly.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=RoadToad@live.com;121294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
As a sidebar, most of our downshifting complaints are gone now anyway, as I got a tuner and change the downshift and lockup points in the programming. Much less downshifting on typical rolling hills and such..."

Which Tuner did you get?
My Edge Evolution Tuner bit the dust and want to get something that can switch Modes on-the-fly.

The one I have is an HPtuner, but it won't do what you want as it is a full flash programmer. No on the fly changes or without the laptop when stopped. I do have the option to program the normal and tow haul differently and use the tow haul switch to go back and forth on the fly.

I think the Bullydog will let you do what you want. IIRC with them you buy the monitor with some built in tunes in it and then you can buy the software for your computer to do the major changes. You can then load those flashes into the monitor which you can install them from without a computer. I don't think you can do it all on the fly though, but not sure what can or can't be done while driving as that wasn't anything I needed to do.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:09 AM   #9
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=booster;121300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad@live.com View Post

The one I have is an HPtuner, but it won't do what you want as it is a full flash programmer. No on the fly changes or without the laptop when stopped. I do have the option to program the normal and tow haul differently and use the tow haul switch to go back and forth on the fly.

I think the Bullydog will let you do what you want. IIRC with them you buy the monitor with some built in tunes in it and then you can buy the software for your computer to do the major changes. You can then load those flashes into the monitor which you can install them from without a computer. I don't think you can do it all on the fly though, but not sure what can or can't be done while driving as that wasn't anything I needed to do.
Am thinking the tow -- haul option would be all we'd need.
Thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:42 AM   #10
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=RoadToad@live.com;121309]
Quote:

Am thinking the tqw -- haul option would be all we'd need.
Thanks for the input.

You may want to take a look through this discussion on the changes I made on our van with the tuner.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...icks-7158.html

It has most of the before and after programming tables for shiftpoints and converter lockup points. It will also give you a look at how the HPtuner is programmed.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:50 AM   #11
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=RoadToad@live.com;121309]
Quote:

Am thinking the tqw -- haul option would be all we'd need.
Thanks for the input.

You may want to take a look through this discussion on the changes I made on our van with the tuner.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...icks-7158.html

It has most of the before and after programming tables for shiftpoints and converter lockup points. It will also give you a look at how the HPtuner is programmed.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #12
Silver Member

Default SteveJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I use OBD fusion, have for about 6 years. The app itself costs a few $. I have Android, I would ASS U ME it's available on Apple.

It requires a dongle(it runs on Bluetooth) to plug into the OSBII port of the car/vehicle, somewhere around $10-15 on Amazon. This port is mandatory on '96 and newer vehicles. Older stuff will not work with the OBD.

For trans temps you will need a non stock "PID", I think that it is under personal PIDs. An email to the maker of this app will return an answer within a day, at least that has been my experience, with a definitive answer on how to do it all. It is quite simple.

When transferring to a new phone everything is pretty seamless except the trans temp has to be set up again(IIRC).

I haven't done it yet but it is supposed tp be easy to switch vehicles.

This app has a gazillion different ways to set up one or multiple pages of gauges. Aside from trans temp I have coolant temp, speed, current MPG, intake air temp, RPM, and a big one, throttle percent. The throttle percent gauge is extremely helpful in maintaining transmission torque converter lock up when climbing grades.

There are other apps out there that seem to work fine. I have no experience with them.

All in for less than $20, this has been by far the best value mod that has been added to the Roadtrek, and soon to the Safari Trek.
Thanks for the info. OBD fusion enhanced diagnostics doesn't list dodge vehicles as being supported. I checked out the JScan OBD for dodge and it doesn't list a 2001 Van as being supported either. Does any Dodge Roadtrekers know what will work on my 2001 dodge Roadtrek. Going up a slight hill my dodge downshifts two gears lower and I'm affraid it's going to throw a rod.. I'd like to get an app that will let me change the shift points to downshift to the next lower gear and read tranny temps etc. Thanks for any help as this is all new to me.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I transferred the OBD Fusion over to the '97 Chevy P30 chassis on our Safari Trek. No joy on the trans temp, it shows no data. Pretty much no help from their support.

I'm searching for another solution. I really want the trans temp info when driving.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
Platinum Member

What engine is in your coach? Probably has the 4L80E transmission so I think the Roadtrek you owned had the same transmission.

My '97 van has the 4L80E transmission and uses the VPW protocol & not the CANSF protocol with my Scan Gauge. https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...-specific-vpw/

I probably tried some apps via BT but don't remember if any worked.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
What engine is in your coach? Probably has the 4L80E transmission so I think the Roadtrek you owned had the same transmission.

My '97 van has the 4L80E transmission and uses the VPW protocol & not the CANSF protocol with my Scan Gauge. https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...-specific-vpw/

I probably tried some apps via BT but don't remember if any worked.
Engine is the 7.4, trans is the same 4l80e. I do have a trans wiring diagram so when I get under it for the fluids change out I'll be inspecting that area and playing with connections. I do have a remote sensor type of meter for doing up BBQ that I can temporarily install until something more permanent comes along. I plan on attaching the sensor to the hot line from the trans and wrap it up in some foam insulation.

I'm not really wanting to put in a separate gauge for trans temp even though it is not terribly difficult and there is a tap on the trans for the sender.

Having fun with the new beast, though it does hurt a bit at the gas station. Today's project is installing a 500 watt PSW inverter, a 40 amp MPPT controller, and a battery monitor. Yee haw. It came with an old Heart 10 MSW inverter charger that I'm leaving in as it seems to have a decent profile for flooded batteries.