Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #1

Question Replacing tv in 2009 PleasureWay excel

Wanting to replace old tv in my PleasureWay Excel. How do I go about this since it is custom made in a cabinet.
jston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

post a pic of what you have in the excel

I have a 2006 Lexor

this $130 Samsung T22C350ND I mounted on the swinging door

it allowed me to get rid of the digital converter boxes and is DC native, has media player and usb- we can play downloaded movies from a thumb drive. we use a headphone out for the audio into the van's system

mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I found out Samsung does not make 19” tv anymore. So what can I do except remove frame on swinging door to mount another 19 inch tv?
Old 12-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Look for something similar- It was about 5 years ago I bought mine at costco

Suggest you look for something which is DC native ( uses a wall wart transformer for home use) then operation doesn't require use of an inverter- most devices of this type run on 14 volts dc- which will work in your van - nominally 12 volts

digital native- to do away with convertor boxes on the antenna

audio? my original tv used a 1/8" stereo headphone type jack to feed the RV audio system-
find a tv which uses same if that's what your RV has ( remember I have a 2006- I don't know what your 2009 has)

a media player with usb is a great feature

as for mounting I adapted some metal brackets- newer TV's have a standard spacing for mounting on the set, screwed in the wood on the backside of the door

this 22" ( or 21.5) is the largest which could fit- notice it is not centered to the door and overhangs on the left

good luck with your search

this lg of a similar size shows it's DC native- the rest you'd have to search out

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-22LJ4540-led-tv#

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Have you considered an LED DLP projector which has low power consumption. I have LG PA77U with 35" screen, both mounted to ceiling. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...33#post-356818
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The short answer is I couldn't find a drop in replacement for mine, and the replacement process was more than I expected, but not beyond my abilities.
I replaced mine with an inexpensive TV of the appropriate size from Best Buy. All TVs have a built in digital tuner nowadays.
Of course, most don't have a DC plug in the back.
This model supposedly has a 12v version, and when I opened it up I found pins conveniently marked '12v'. I bought a connecter with wires and attached to the pins. The other end I soldered onto the existing power cable after cutting off the connector. Then I spent half of a day on the table saw and with hand tools modifying the wooden frame, which I removed from the RV, to nicely mount the TV. It works great.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have an 09 PW Lexor TS. I'm not sure why you even want to replace it. I like keeping things stock. Replaced the power board several months ago and it works perfectly. I also bought a small 12V rechargeable TV. It sits in the cabinet, held on with Velcro straps. I simply flip it over when off-grid. 12V is charged via a portable 100 watt solar I slap on above the windshield. Takes about one minute up/down. All JMO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
Bronze Member

The main reason I replaced mine was that it was older and did not have a digital tuner. It made my antenna worthless and the only thing I could do with it was watch dvds. Now I can tune in any digital channels that are available in the area and plug in a chromecast if I want (as long as I have reception I can use my phone as a hot spot) and watch Netflix.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

LOL, An analog to digital converter cost me about $20. No need to replace the TV. I have the same antenna and get up to 30 channels or more, at least from most locations. The new TV didn't add any more channels then the $20 converter would have.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #10

Thanks, do you have a pic of your project?
Old 12-31-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Yes! I looked at converters first. But, I didn't find a DC powered one and the nearest AC plug only works on shore power or generator...and I didn't want an ugly cord hanging down plugged into the outlet.
BTW, I also changed out the 'original' AM/FM radio for a nice android powered display that also displays the backup camera I installed.
Original isn't always the best. Sometimes it's just old and outdated.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
The main reason I replaced mine was that it was older and did not have a digital tuner. It made my antenna worthless and the only thing I could do with it was watch dvds. Now I can tune in any digital channels that are available in the area and plug in a chromecast if I want (as long as I have reception I can use my phone as a hot spot) and watch Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Yes! I looked at converters first. But, I didn't find a DC powered one and the nearest AC plug only works on shore power or generator...and I didn't want an ugly cord hanging down plugged into the outlet.
BTW, I also changed out the 'original' AM/FM radio for a nice android powered display that also displays the backup camera I installed.
Original isn't always the best. Sometimes it's just old and outdated.
Sorry, this makes no sense. At least on mine. TV plugs into 110, just like the analog converter. 2 outlets on the inverter, one for the TV and one for the analog converter Yes, of course you need to be plugged in, or gene running. Are you saying yours is 12V and no need for 110? Kind of confused with your original wording. No ugly plug hanging on mine, it's in the cabinet. Read the wording reasons as to why you replaced it. LOL maybe we both need a drink!
Old 12-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Correct, the old TV ran off 12v. I added a 12v plug to the new TV so that it would also run off 12v. All the 12v wiring and the audio amp are wired up for where the TV is mounted on a swinging faceplate. There isn't room for much of anything else, there. The nearest 110 outlet is near the floor.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #14
Silver Member

2008 PW Lexor. Similar to Mkguitar, I replaced with a 21.5 inch Samsung. I took a 1x12" wood pattern shelving and cut to fit the opening allowing it to be screwed in from the inside. Then I took a TV Swing arm mount and attached to the 1x12. You can use a DVD player mounted inside the TV cabinet or use a laptop which I do. I also replaced the stock inverter with a 1000w. Pure Sine Wave inverter. Square sine wave inverters may harm computer and other hi-tech equipment. I seldom put the antenna up and still get great reception as long as the antenna booster is on. CAUTION: be sure to turn the booster off after using as it will drain the battery.

Happy New Year and I hope you find your solution.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote