Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sliding door closure assist handle.

I should have done it in 2013. It was on my list and I finely did it. I believe it should be done at the factory. I bought aluminum grab handle, counterbored 0.045” to accommodate rivnuts to increased area of contact between the handle and the door’s sheet metal. It works great, I strongly recommend this modification.

Counterbore diameter was within 0.010 of turned down rivnuts’ flanges so some precision in installation was necessary. I installed the first rivnut, 5/16”-18 using the Astro 1442 setter, mounted the handle and using a transfer punch marked the second hole location.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02920.JPG (237.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02924.JPG (243.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02925.JPG (301.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02926.JPG (353.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02927.JPG (425.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02928.JPG (409.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02929.JPG (499.5 KB, 49 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice work. As a non-sliding-door van owner, I have to ask what purpose the handle serves mounted where you put it?

PS. - As a swing door van owner (Chevy Express), I too have mounted an extra door pull high near the window edge. Otherwise, you have to stoop uncomfortable far down to reach the OEM door handle from inside.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Nice work. As a non-sliding-door van owner, I have to ask what purpose the handle serves mounted where you put it?

PS. - As a swing door van owner (Chevy Express), I too have mounted an extra door pull high near the window edge. Otherwise, you have to stoop uncomfortable far down to reach the OEM door handle from inside.
To close sliding door they need to be slammed, loudly slammed, very loudly slammed especially during quiet nights with sleeping neighbors close by. A Sprinter door needs a minimum velocity a few inches before final closure so its inertia will swing the rear of the door towards the van and close. To get that minimum velocity minimum force is needed and often too much for my wife.

To close the door from outside I often push rear of the door and closure is much quieter. This added handle allows us to pull the rear of the door with lower level force from inside.

See the video of closure assist, my assist is manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 12-26-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I think I get it. It's the ever important final slam than is required to shut the door securely and generate maximum sound levels. I pity the 2019 chassis owners with self-closing doors. How will they ever overcome the loss of that satisfyingly loud manual slam?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I think I get it. It's the ever important final slam than is required to shut the door securely and generate maximum sound levels. I pity the 2019 chassis owners with self-closing doors. How will they ever overcome the loss of that satisfyingly loud manual slam?

The big question in an RV is where the self closing mechanism is located, and how much of the van has to be disassembled to repair or replace it.

There are a whole lot of mini van owners that found out the could spend $5K replacing two door cables because most of the side interior had to be removed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I have used this modification for a while now and I love it. It allows easier and much quieter door closing. This modification should be provided by Mercedes or any manual closing sliding door van manufacturer from the factory. I should have done it years ago. My wife loves it.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I was in a very empty campsite, once, when a couple clear on the other side (a quarter mile away?) was having an argument in their Sprinter.

Amidst the yelling and cursing was a constant stream of roll-roll-roll-SLAM noises all night long.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:16 AM   #8

I did the same thing, but used a suitcase handle from Amazon selecting the hinged type for about $10. Used 1/8" pop rivets.... not as neat as looking as yours but does the job. Also, I stuffed the door full of pink insulation... makes for a nice sounding door closing thump.
Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #9

Wait ... wait, you put insulation in the sliding door and THAT muffled the door slam? INGENIOUS!!!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:10 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Transits have the same issue, I might have to copy this idea.