Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2023, 01:32 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sliding Door Stopper for manual sliding doors; and and an installation tip

I searched for previous comments on this, and found one a few years old on a different design, so I thought I would just bring this up again.

Short Story: It works great.

I just installed the OpenGlass Van Mods Sliding Door Stopper on my Ford Transit based Coachmen Beyond. This is a simple, subtle mod that allows the door to be stopped part way open. This makes it easier to close from both outside the van and inside, as the reach is reduced. Great on sloped driveways too.

This is not especially new, but the team at OpenGlass have made several improvements. They lowered the height a little the peaks are 3mm. The center trough is 1mm. Also, they elongated the trough a bit to allow you to get up just a little momentum when closing, making it really easy to get the roller over the peak.

Options:
There are other brands of this stop. I went with this one as it is applied via 3M VHB tape rather than epoxy (I like reversible tweaks), they anodize the surface which should help in our salt ridden winter roads, and they milled out a space for the tape (normally 1mm in itself) so that the tape does not add extra thickness.

Just one placement tip. I have used 3M VHB for various projects. It works great, but it stick RIGHT AWAY so you can't fine tune position once it touches the surface. (This is one advantage to the epoxy approach) So I taped a spacer to the wall to make sure the stop was aligned with the rail as well as spaced correctly for the roller. Another placement tip: Handle it with a tweezer once you take off the release liner.

A few photos below for anyone interested.

JonMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Agreed they do work great. We added one to open the sliding door only to the width between the door cabinet and the entrance width for those windy days you want some ventilation but not the full on door opened up. We opted for epoxy over VHS tape though.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote