Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Some advice on a Chevy Suspension Upgrade

I have a 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular on a Chevy Express 3500 chassis. Weights on the scale are: Front axle 3980 lbs, Rear axle 4820 lbs, Total 8800 lbs. Ground to fender - front: 33.75 - rear 35

Big problem

The van is very low, it scrapes on driveways, speed bumps, road kill, you name it. I need to get it up far enough to drive around town without worry.

I want to be able to take the van off-pavement but not off-road. There are a lot of forest service roads in my area (Southern California) and they are all off-limits to me. My needs in this area are modest, I don’t want a mean, lean rock climbing machine. I’d just like to be able to trundle down a dirt road without fear. I am willing to turn back if things get too rough.

Other Problems

Ride up front is very truck-like. I would like something smoother.
Ride in the rear is like a bouncy carnival ride. I would like to be able to ride passengers back there on occasion.
The handling feels a little drifty. Not too bad. I don’t want it worse than it is now.
Airbag leveling at a campsite would be nifty.
I have read the various Bible-sized threads about lifts on these Chevies and gained a lot of useful info. I have learned a lot, but the more technical aspects of suspensions are over my head.

I am thinking that bringing it up 2” (or more like 3?) will bring it to stock height and do what I want.

Biil Erb at Valley Spring Works is 6 hours away for me so I am considering going up there and placing myself in his capable hands.

Here is my preliminary parts list
Bilstien shocks all around. These seem to be universally loved
New coil springs up front from Erb
Airlift bags with the internal bump stop
Onboard compressor with remote
Possibly some beefing up of the rear leaf springs by Erb

I know Erb is the man when it comes to springs but I don’t know if I should get the airbags installed there. Opinions? Installing airbags is far less technical so I do have options on my area for that.

Thanks for your help, I have learned quite a bit just from reading the existing threads. Very educational and helpful.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote