Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Window Film to Block Solar?

I would like to reduce solar heating through my Roadtrek's 3 roof windows. I usually leave the windows covered so I am not worried if it blocks a lot of light.

What is a good window film to block solar heat?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I would like to reduce solar heating through my Roadtrek's 3 roof windows. I usually leave the windows covered so I am not worried if it blocks a lot of light.

The best is probably still the 3M Crystalline. We got it on our door windows probably 8 years ago and it blocks more heat than any other film I have seen, including the high end ceramic I had put on my 96 Buick Wagon.

It is expensive, but IMO well worth it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post

The best is probably still the 3M Crystalline. We got it on our door windows probably 8 years ago and it blocks more heat than any other film I have seen, including the high end ceramic I had put on my 96 Buick Wagon.

If you don't worry about visibility just use aluminum foil. Best heat reflection around, I think.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:27 PM   #4
Gold Member

I used aluminum foil on mine. cleaned the glass good, left it wet then hand squeeged the foil in place. Been there 5 years with no problem.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We had all our windows done with ceramic tint and it makes a tremendous difference. But more effective and cheaper is blocking the sun on the OUTSIDE using an awning or shade material like Phifertex/Soltis/Sunbrella. When parked we cover all our windows with shade cloth held on by magnets. Fortunately we don't have any roof windows.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

My top windows are covered with Reflectix. from the 1 roll at home depot I cut with scissors panels to fit the front door windows ( open door, place panel, close door), the rear door windows, the windows beside the bed and the top windows- these stay in place all the time. The windscreen is covered by a common sunshade made of same material, I also have an exterior windshield Adco cover I sometimes use.

inexpensive and easy.

When driving the removed covers are stacked between the seats to help with the drivetrain heat
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

If you don't worry about visibility just use aluminum foil. Best heat reflection around, I think.
booster -
What transmission level did you choose for Ceramic on the side windows? A 20% or 35%? Did you do the back windows as well? Looks like a great product and well worth the expense.
I've assembled a double layer Reflectix for the front while parked. But tinting the sides would be nice while on the move. I note some of the heat transmissiblity is of the ceramic tint "on par" with an aluminized external shade screen ~ 69-70%, so less junk to carry along in a small space.
TIA.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:44 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
booster -
What transmission level did you choose for Ceramic on the side windows? A 20% or 35%? Did you do the back windows as well? Looks like a great product and well worth the expense.
I've assembled a double layer Reflectix for the front while parked. But tinting the sides would be nice while on the move. I note some of the heat transmissiblity is of the ceramic tint "on par" with an aluminized external shade screen ~ 69-70%, so less junk to carry along in a small space.
TIA.

Cheers - Jim

On the Buick wagon, which has the ceramic on it, I went with 20% on front seat side windows and the tailgate window, and 40% on the rear doors and luggage area (big windows).

Neither of those blocking is as good as the 3M Crystalline we have on the front doors of van, and that is also 20% I think as that is what is legal here on front door windows No tint on anything else in the van. Crystalline is expensive to be sure, but it really is that much better than all others I have seen and felt for the heat coming through with my hand.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Excellent. Now, to prepare for the shock of the "Sticker Price." Thanks Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
Fortunately we don't have any roof windows.
The roof windows are one of the best things on our van. They let in a lot of natural light and brighten up the interior like nothing else. They crank open and will vent heat. The interior is cooler because they are there.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote