Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Default Re: Class B Market Share, Sales and Shipments

Those numbers still look awfully suspect to me. You realize they add up to over 96% market share. Are we to assume Sportsmobile, Leisure Travel Vans, Great West Vans, Advanced RV, Safari Condo and others are less than 4% of the market? Or are the numbers just relative number between the four companies listed? Also, since the list shows Thor Industries and not just Airstream could it possibly be listing Thor's Citation and Siesta Class B+s which, BTW, go up to 32 feet long? After all Thor does separate them out distinctively from their Class Cs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Maybe I'm blind, or just not seeing them, but other than the local Airstream dealership, I have yet to definitely remember seeing a single Airstream Interstate "in the wild". I've seen Roadtreks here and there. However, I've yet to see a GWV, Advanced RV, or any of the more exotic brands. I've definitely seen Sportsmobiles. One place that is a couple miles from my work has 15+... but that's the Sportsmobile factory in Austin.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #83
Platinum Member

I think the yearly totals are something like 3,000 for B's now? If so, that would give the other manufacturers 120 units. How many do those smaller players build?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Leisure Travel kicks out a fair amount. Thor has to be more than Airstream in that report. I base my observations on travel from all points in the United States, a lot of miles and not just where I live and you simply do not see Airstream Bs to the extent they could possibly be 1 in 5 Bs. Absolutely no way. On any given trip I'll see more Sportsmobiles coming out of three factories than Airstreams. If that report is accurate then Airstream owners are probably broke paying the price they pay and parked at home.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #85
Platinum Member

My guess is that Sportsmobile is not included in the stats. The stats are for retail sales most probably based on dealer supplied info. That would leave Sportsmobile out. Likewise, Safari Condo with limited (if any) U.S. sales is probably not included.

Re: Airstream

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/11/ai...form-industry/

Quote:
Through August 2013, Airstream’s Class B Motorhome retail registrations were up 38.2%, outperforming the industry which reported 16.5% growth for the same period, according to Statistical Surveys Inc. The retail success for Interstate follows record sales in 2012, Airstream said.
and this: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/11/ai...e-at-l-a-show/

Quote:
The company noted that Statistical Surveys Inc. named the Interstate the No. 1 selling Class B motorhome model in the U.S. from January to August, increasing market share in the touring coach segment by nearly 30%.

“The growing number of people who are inspired to get out and on the open road in an Interstate is exponential compared to when we first introduced this exciting product,” said Airstream President and CEO Bob Wheeler. “Our focus on ‘best-in-class’ products and dealer support continues to be our foundation for success.”
and this older info:

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...&t=2413#p13216

Quote:
The Interstate boasts over 50 best in class features that distinguish it from its competitors. As a result, the Interstate has experienced tremendous growth in the US market, commanding 17 percent market share through September 2012. Interstate sales are up 72 percent year over year in the United States, leading Airstream to discuss opportunities for expansion in Canada.
Still, that is more than 500 new Airstream Interstates on the road this year. We're bound to start seeing them soon. Probably 1000 or more units on the road in the last two years.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #86
Platinum Member

The Interstate boasts over 50 best in class features that distinguish it from its competitors.

That alone is enough to believe everything Airstream puts out is a bit embellished.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #87
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

The first Interstate we've ever seen was at our B-Social this last September in Kansas. Haven't seen one since.

I'm still with DavyDD on his feeling that Thor is including their B+'s in their total. Embellishment is the proper word for their claims.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #88
Platinum Member

Another thought I have is that the only reason Roadtrek is still no. 1 is that their name has become generic, like Kleenex. New folks in the market don't know any better and think Roadtrek is THE class B campervan.
Based on what we've seen from buyers of RT's that were built the last few years, they are very problematic units

Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #89
Platinum Member

I think Roadtrek keeps the top spot every year for many reasons.

- They have the largest user base recommending the products to others.
- Generally speaking the units are good quality.
- The user base is very helpful online, very supportive of new owners and their questions.
- My guess is that they have they largest dealer network.
- They offer many choices in models - Something for everyone.

Re: Airstream market share

I don't think Winnebago, Pleasure-Way or Roadtrek would allow the Airstream (Thor) count to be published every month if they though it included small Class C RV's. I'm sure those companies pay attention to the stats. Plus the stat company has confirmed by email that the total only included Class B's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek current models.jpg (37.2 KB, 796 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Found an interesting article, partial review of one, an actual road trip to the Grand Canyon from Los Angeles, evaluation of the 2013 Interstate.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/19/2013 ... xt-review/
There are some more pictures available with some interesting comparisons of the size and length of a Sprinter based unit to a parking space and a class A motorhome. You have to click the main page's picture, to get to the whole pictorial collection, which may open in a separate browser window. It did for me.
Looking at the pictures, I'm still not sure I'd recognize one on the roadway if it were passing by in the opposite direction. Maybe it's the dark color. It should make them stand out, you would think? The price as tested stood out for me.
I keep thinking, just because we haven't seen many of them, doesn't mean they aren't out there somewhere. Maybe they sell better in a specific geographic area to a narrower demographic.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Roadtrek is working hard on the "Kleenex" concept and it is working. I can't fault them for that. That is just good marketing. Winnebago similarly has established its own similar reputation in the motorhome market. Airstream has captured the imagination of the trailer market with being in other companies commercials and now even on New Belgium Brewery's Accumulation IPA ale. All those efforts translate into sales that evidently spill over into the B market.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #92
Platinum Member

I would agree on the "Kleenex/Zipper/Xerox" school of marketing. I have read on the RT FB group (there are multiple, but there is one official group) that they are looking into a Transit based offering, but GVWR and OCCC are big issues, especially with a gasser. When the PM was mentioned, it was scoffed at. I think they want to avoid joining the soon to be fray of European companies trying their hand in the US RV market (since the PM is on this side of the pond now, and it is a matter of copying some CAD files and setting up shop with some CNC equipment for the most part.)

Even though the Dodge offering is very common for upfits, here in the US, the Transit has a few nice features. AFAIK, it has dual rear wheels so it can haul more, a higher clearance, making it easy to locate tanks and machinery underneath, RWD, which can be upfitted to 4WD/AWD,

There is one thing I tip my hat to Roadtrek for: They actually crash test their Bs. I think Bigfoot was the only other "B" maker that actually would do this. I know Sportsmobile has also done crash tests for their pop-tops, but not sure if they have done it with production Sprinters. So, in a wreck, I know that I won't end up having furniture slamming into my skull in a RT, which is a big selling point to me.

In any case, I'm just glad there is some attention paid to the "B" market. For about a decade it has pretty much languished, becoming ever more a niche product.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I would agree on the "Kleenex/Zipper/Xerox" school of marketing. I have read on the RT FB group (there are multiple, but there is one official group) that they are looking into a Transit based offering, but GVWR and OCCC are big issues, especially with a gasser. When the PM was mentioned, it was scoffed at. I think they want to avoid joining the soon to be fray of European companies trying their hand in the US RV market (since the PM is on this side of the pond now, and it is a matter of copying some CAD files and setting up shop with some CNC equipment for the most part.)

Even though the Dodge offering is very common for upfits, here in the US, the Transit has a few nice features. AFAIK, it has dual rear wheels so it can haul more, a higher clearance, making it easy to locate tanks and machinery underneath, RWD, which can be upfitted to 4WD/AWD,

There is one thing I tip my hat to Roadtrek for: They actually crash test their Bs. I think Bigfoot was the only other "B" maker that actually would do this. I know Sportsmobile has also done crash tests for their pop-tops, but not sure if they have done it with production Sprinters. So, in a wreck, I know that I won't end up having furniture slamming into my skull in a RT, which is a big selling point to me.

In any case, I'm just glad there is some attention paid to the "B" market. For about a decade it has pretty much languished, becoming ever more a niche product.
Does Roadtrek still crashtest their vehicles? All the pix or videos I have seen had models that were over 5 years old, maybe quite a bit older.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #94
Platinum Member

Marco, I still say that Thor is counting B+'s in their total. You know Thor "claims" they are no. 1 in every class, A, B & C.
Balderdash....

Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #95
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster

Does Roadtrek still crashtest their vehicles? All the pix or videos I have seen had models that were over 5 years old, maybe quite a bit older.
I was told on the FB group that they still do so. I cannot attest to the poster's veracity though.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #96
Platinum Member

I don't fully understand a converter crash testing a van. The van maker is pretty much responsible for the crash testing and van safety. If it is to test anchorages and fastenings of cabinets, fixtures, seats and shelves I would think less costly testing could be done for that without destroying a vehicle. Maybe one whole van test for those with fiberglass body parts if construction methods changed, but for a unibody Sprinter?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Well anyway after another late night Stilton cheese snack I came up with a name of a new Class B company in my dreams. Guaranteed to supplant Roadtrek for Kleenex.

I think I'll hang onto it for now.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #98
Rok
Platinum Member

When we first started looking for a Class B unit one of the places we visited was the local Airstream Dealer (which really wasn't all that local--it was about a 45 min drive each way). Anyway, the Interstate was a nice looking unit, and had a few nice features, but it was about the same as offerings from other companies--only more expensive.

While we were in the lot, we asked if we could look at some of the Airstream travel trailers. I'll have to say that I was impressed with the stunning quality that was apparent when you stepped in one of them. Everything is top notch with the Airstream Travel Trailers. They are definitely a premium product, with a price to match, but they appear to be worth every penny of it. Had we walked into an Interstate and got the same impression, we would have been sold immediately. We would have found the extra money for the higher price tag, and we would have accepted the hour-and-a-half of overhead time everytime we needed service. Alas, the Interstate, while being a nice unit, is not head and shoulders above its competitors like the AS Travel Trailers seem to be. It certainly doesn't warrant the extra expense--at least in our opinion.

.........Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Roadtrek is working hard on the "Kleenex" concept and it is working. I can't fault them for that. That is just good marketing. Winnebago similarly has established its own similar reputation in the motorhome market. Airstream has captured the imagination of the trailer market with being in other companies commercials and now even on New Belgium Brewery's Accumulation IPA ale. All those efforts translate into sales that evidently spill over into the B market.
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #99
Platinum Member

You hit the nail on the head. At an RV show, one dealer had an AS model and a PW model right by each other. Yes, the AS veneers and attention to detail was outstanding, but forgoing highly polished cabinets for the PW's floor plan wasn't that much of a step down in usability, and for $20-40k difference in price, the PW was worth it. The ironic thing is that the same dealer had a PW Lexor also on display, and the price jump between that to the Plateau was less than the difference between the Plateau and the Interstate... and moving from the Chevy van platform to the Sprinter platform makes a world of difference in usable interior room.

Not that an Airstream is bad, but for the price, I'd "settle" for an ERA and use the difference for boondocking gewgaws, RV accessories, and other stuff.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #100
Platinum Member

"Under the hood" or the stuff you don't see (wiring, piping, equipment, tanks, etc.) I think I would trust Pleasure-way over Airstream. When I was first shopping for Bs it just seemed that way to me. Pleasure-way just had way more B experience. Airstream went through a lot of impractical floor plans such as mid bed plans with the Sprinter before finally just throwing in the towel and cold copying Roadtrek. Airstream has the marketing clout, image, aesthetic design sense and just good advertising presentation over the others. Airstream was the first to dump the gaudy RV like swoops and swirls exterior decaling I never liked on a B.