Old 06-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Imagine a regen event occurring at a campsite .......

I read a lot of B related forums a groups but don't recall any discussion about regeneration. It must be happening out on highways. A lot of these Class B units have low mileage compared to commercial vans though.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The Sprinter engine is not new.
It is not new in North America. (10+ yrs?)
Just a note: 10+ year old NA Sprinters didn't have the pollution controls we're talking about. Someone with greater knowledge of Sprinters will know what year this stuff was introduced.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
The manufacturers (ALL manufacturers) have specific instructions on engine care.

Idling is specifically permitted by the manufacturer,
with specific instruction on intervals and remedies.

If you have worries, the worries should be of something outside of the manufacturer's specifications.
I think this is just what this all started with, as MB has been extremely uncommiting, inconsistent, and very squishy on giving the customers the recommendations and specifications for idling and DPF questions. Customers really have no idea if they are within the recommendations or not.

If you read the European forums, manufacturers, and mechanics information, they are talking about all the same issues as this, but across a much wider range of vehicles because they have more available diesels.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Imagine a regen event occurring at a campsite .......

I read a lot of B related forums a groups but don't recall any discussion about regeneration. It must be happening out on highways. A lot of these Class B units have low mileage compared to commercial vans though.
I don't think it would be an issue because it is highly likely the MB doesn't allow a regen unless the vehicle is moving.

If it could happen, a class B would be the worst vehicle in the world to have it happen to, I would think, sitting in the woods over all kinds of combustibles, roaring along at high idle for a long time, and with exhaust hot enough to cause severe burns.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #65
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't think it would be an issue because it is highly likely the MB doesn't allow a regen unless the vehicle is moving.

If it could happen, a class B would be the worst vehicle in the world to have it happen to, I would think, sitting in the woods over all kinds of combustibles, roaring along at high idle for a long time, and with exhaust hot enough to cause severe burns.

Both you and markopolo have been in this circular function for years. When are you going find an exit?

At the meantime thousands more MB diesels have been sold around the World in various applications, including RV by multiple builders in North America.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Just a note: 10+ year old NA Sprinters didn't have the pollution controls we're talking about. Someone with greater knowledge of Sprinters will know what year this stuff was introduced.
Rethinking that ---- the pollution control we're referring to might have been introduced about 10 years ago - time does zip by.

The first commercially produced Class B to use idling the engine as source for electrical power would have happened in 2012 iirc. Just a few units would date back that far.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Both you and markopolo have been in this circular function for years. When are you going find an exit?

At the meantime thousands more MB diesels have been sold around the World in various applications, including RV by multiple builders in North America.
Me? Never
Old 06-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:

This is not a circular function, it is a valid discussion as to if there is a problem or not, and what other brands of diesels say about it.

Maybe we will find an exit if you actually post all the specifications and recommendations that you say exist for Sprinter idling, DPF, EGR, etc care. As of right now, there is just about as much absolute information that there is not a potential issue as there is that is a problem, IMO. And in both cases it isn't much information.

Interesting that you refer to years worth of circling, when you just joined. You also have a very familiar writing style, statement pattern, and broad statements with no backup. Could it be you have been here in a previous life?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #69
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
This is not a circular function, it is a valid discussion as to if there is a problem or not, and what other brands of diesels say about it.

Maybe we will find an exit if you actually post all the specifications and recommendations that you say exist for Sprinter idling, DPF, EGR, etc care. As of right now, there is just about as much absolute information that there is not a potential issue as there is that is a problem, IMO. And in both cases it isn't much information.

Interesting that you refer to years worth of circling, when you just joined. You also have a very familiar writing style, statement pattern, and broad statements with no backup. Could it be you have been here in a previous life?

I just joined, but have read many old posts.

Interesting that you feel threatened LOL

It is ok to seek the truth, we all do.
but it seems your purpose is to be in a circular function.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Nope, not threatened at all. Just prefer some data with opinions, or insults.

Just what is a "circular function" and what purpose would it have?

All problem solving or decision making will go down some "rat holes" and then go back and pick up on another path. It can happen many times and usually gives very good results.

What is way, way, worse is to pick a solution and then try to justify it by anecdotal information or just plain not admit it is just an opinion and not on data.

There just plain is not information to say Sprinters will, or will not, likely, plug up a DPF early in a class b the runs the engine with an engine generator on a regular basis.

You may disagree, but call it an opinion and accept that others may have another opinion, based on the same incomplete information.