Old 07-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Team

The smart way to buy tools for your RV is to wait for a sale on one of those complete tool kits at Sears (or equivalent). You usually don't have to wait long, and you get a nice case to keep them in.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I never carried full tool kits as most of the wrenches, sockets, etc. would never be used. Look around your B and see what you need to adjust and tighten screws, change a light, drain a water heater (anode rod), turn a bolt, and so on, and make sure you have those tools. You certainly would not want to buy a socket set that included up to a 1-1/8" socket for an anode rod just to have that one.

I have all the tools at home and that is where I mostly work on and maintain my B. Whenever I encounter a need for a wrench and use it from my complete set, I go to the hardware store and buy a second one to throw into my B tool box and leave my complete set intact. You will often find you might need the No. 1 and No. 2 Robertson screw drivers. Figure out which Allen wrenches you will need. You will probably definitely need the 1/8" one.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #13
Platinum Member

if travelling- just budget a stop at a sears to buy a toolset if need be- and travel with striped down.

tools don't much matter if you don;t know how to use

multimeter

cell phone

roadside assistance plan

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Davyyd has a point. If you are not mechanically inclined then a lot of the tools I listed will be useless. I have no problem changing my own alternator or radiator if I needed to, but others would not. Keep that in mind when buying tools.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Davyyd has a point. If you are not mechanically inclined then a lot of the tools I listed will be useless. I have no problem changing my own alternator or radiator if I needed to, but others would not. Keep that in mind when buying tools.
Keep in mind too those kind of things you probably might never do on the road. However, I do keep the tools needed for changing out a headlight or a tail light, tightening cabinet screws, opening up panels, etc.

You should carry spare bulbs, fuses, etc. Duct tape mostly for comfort. With my old 2005 Sprinter I did carry a spare turbo resonator and the tools needed to change it out and never had to. Other than that, I have never carried many spare parts figuring I would buy them if needed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm pretty good at learning on the fly but should probably start with a small toolkit and pick things up along the way. I'm contemplating an AUL vs other road side assistance. The AUL has so many restrictions - I wouldn't be allowed to make any repairs myself even if I knew how. Any advice on a good roadside assistance plan? Are there any forums or web sites that have a running list of reliable Rialta mechanics across the US?
I've googled but haven't hit one yet.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #17
Bronze Member

I'm of the Davydd school and carry minimal tools. My small kit has a screw driver with interchangeable bits, extra fuses, vice grips, duct tape, bailing wire and zip ties. I also carry a spare turbo charge hose and will add a spare fuel filter for next year's anticipated Alaska trip.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #18
Gold Member

Instead of the duct tape, pick up some green tape from the auto parts store. Strong, no residue, sticks to most anything and stays there.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 AM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Here's all the tools you need...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13716215_1059730167407347_4748194863541412571_n.jpg (107.0 KB, 15 views)
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:06 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Thanks BBQ - that gave me a chuckle.