Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 100
Default 03 Roadtrek 200P (Chevy)side door handle hard to open

2003 Roadtrek 200P. Side door handle/door VERY difficult to open.

Greetings, upon VIN lookup The chassis is called a 2002 Chevy Express Ext "cutaway" . It's an extended 3500 with one (single) side door that opens like a regular door. No slider.

I have to actuate the exterior handle and pull pretty hard on the door to get it to open. With most doors, you pull/operate the handle, and they usually "pop" right open. With this one, you have to pull the handle all the way out and then tug on it a bit. To an untrained person, they would think it is locked. (I did the first time).

Any thoughts on what needs replacing or adjusting?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door handle 1.jpg (33.2 KB, 15 views)
__________________

PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 881
Default

so exact same door mechanism as on a billion other chevy express vans- I'd look at some youtube clips- for linkage fixin' tips
often the guys putting speakers in doors will have great tricks to pull panels and get in there


likely lube

GM used plastic clips on door linkages - if parked facing the sun, like AZ, the plastic clips will break- all the clips in my 2001 GMC pick up have been swapped over time with metal carb linkage clips from the "Help!" section of autozone

mike
__________________

mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
jmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 122
Default

First, check the hinges. They may need a shot of spray lubricant.

Second, remove the inner door panels and check the linkage for dried grease, un-hooked return spring and, as mentioned above, the guide clips.
__________________
Joe
jmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
gklugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 236
Default

tighten linkage. lube.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 392
Default

I don;t think that this door used Chevy parts as it did not come from the gm factory with it.

Our side door,2000 200 versatile, requires a slight push on the door to open. More so in the cooler weather, less in the heat. I opened up the door to adjust the outside handle position to remedy this issue but it eventually slipped out again. It shifts slightly forward enough to cause this.

I chose to leave as is as I like the fact that it seems "locked" without having to bother locking it. And I'm lazy(er um efficient with my bodily exertions).

Traveling right now with newer item from the list in my sig, staying at Hickory Creek Army Core park near Fayetteville, AR for a few days.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW73NH View Post
2003 Roadtrek 200P. Side door handle/door VERY difficult to open.

Greetings, upon VIN lookup The chassis is called a 2002 Chevy Express Ext "cutaway" . It's an extended 3500 with one (single) side door that opens like a regular door. No slider.

I have to actuate the exterior handle and pull pretty hard on the door to get it to open. With most doors, you pull/operate the handle, and they usually "pop" right open. With this one, you have to pull the handle all the way out and then tug on it a bit. To an untrained person, they would think it is locked. (I did the first time).

Any thoughts on what needs replacing or adjusting?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks.
On our 210 Popular, that side door and the rear doors are Chevy. If your doors are not fiberglass I think they also are Chevy.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

.

It has to be an original factory door.

Because it is not easy (and expensive) to make an automobile door frame and its associated latches (read safety).

No RV upfitter would go to the expense to make a custom door for its RVs.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
.

It has to be an original factory door.

Because it is not easy (and expensive) to make an automobile door frame and its associated latches (read safety).

No RV upfitter would go to the expense to make a custom door for its RVs.
Perhaps you should actually look at a door on the 200 series. They are not a Chevy part, they are fiberglass. So yes, someone went the the bother and expense to fit a "custom" door.

Not meant to be conflicting but simply after accuracy.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Bruceper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 635
Default

Chevy express vans shipped factory with a slider or double doors for the side entry. If there is just a single door then it has been modified from factory.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Chevy express vans shipped factory with a slider or double doors for the side entry. If there is just a single door then it has been modified from factory.
Roadtrek gets regular vans from Chevy for their 190 and 210. They add 18 inches to the box frame to support the additional 210 length. For both models they only use the forward side door and use both rear doors.

On the 210 considering all the fiberglass work on the coach I wonder why they don't just start the build from a cutaway chassis.
__________________

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door handle, door handle sticks, side door hard

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.