Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 03 Roadtrek 200P (Chevy)side door handle hard to open

2003 Roadtrek 200P. Side door handle/door VERY difficult to open.

Greetings, upon VIN lookup The chassis is called a 2002 Chevy Express Ext "cutaway" . It's an extended 3500 with one (single) side door that opens like a regular door. No slider.

I have to actuate the exterior handle and pull pretty hard on the door to get it to open. With most doors, you pull/operate the handle, and they usually "pop" right open. With this one, you have to pull the handle all the way out and then tug on it a bit. To an untrained person, they would think it is locked. (I did the first time).

Any thoughts on what needs replacing or adjusting?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door handle 1.jpg (33.2 KB, 15 views)

PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

so exact same door mechanism as on a billion other chevy express vans- I'd look at some youtube clips- for linkage fixin' tips
often the guys putting speakers in doors will have great tricks to pull panels and get in there

likely lube

GM used plastic clips on door linkages - if parked facing the sun, like AZ, the plastic clips will break- all the clips in my 2001 GMC pick up have been swapped over time with metal carb linkage clips from the "Help!" section of autozone

mike

mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

First, check the hinges. They may need a shot of spray lubricant.

Second, remove the inner door panels and check the linkage for dried grease, un-hooked return spring and, as mentioned above, the guide clips.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

tighten linkage. lube.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I don;t think that this door used Chevy parts as it did not come from the gm factory with it.

Our side door,2000 200 versatile, requires a slight push on the door to open. More so in the cooler weather, less in the heat. I opened up the door to adjust the outside handle position to remedy this issue but it eventually slipped out again. It shifts slightly forward enough to cause this.

I chose to leave as is as I like the fact that it seems "locked" without having to bother locking it. And I'm lazy(er um efficient with my bodily exertions).

Traveling right now with newer item from the list in my sig, staying at Hickory Creek Army Core park near Fayetteville, AR for a few days.
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW73NH View Post
2003 Roadtrek 200P. Side door handle/door VERY difficult to open.

Greetings, upon VIN lookup The chassis is called a 2002 Chevy Express Ext "cutaway" . It's an extended 3500 with one (single) side door that opens like a regular door. No slider.

I have to actuate the exterior handle and pull pretty hard on the door to get it to open. With most doors, you pull/operate the handle, and they usually "pop" right open. With this one, you have to pull the handle all the way out and then tug on it a bit. To an untrained person, they would think it is locked. (I did the first time).

Any thoughts on what needs replacing or adjusting?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks.
On our 210 Popular, that side door and the rear doors are Chevy. If your doors are not fiberglass I think they also are Chevy.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

It has to be an original factory door.

Because it is not easy (and expensive) to make an automobile door frame and its associated latches (read safety).

No RV upfitter would go to the expense to make a custom door for its RVs.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

It has to be an original factory door.

Because it is not easy (and expensive) to make an automobile door frame and its associated latches (read safety).

No RV upfitter would go to the expense to make a custom door for its RVs.
Perhaps you should actually look at a door on the 200 series. They are not a Chevy part, they are fiberglass. So yes, someone went the the bother and expense to fit a "custom" door.

Not meant to be conflicting but simply after accuracy.
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Chevy express vans shipped factory with a slider or double doors for the side entry. If there is just a single door then it has been modified from factory.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Chevy express vans shipped factory with a slider or double doors for the side entry. If there is just a single door then it has been modified from factory.
Roadtrek gets regular vans from Chevy for their 190 and 210. They add 18 inches to the box frame to support the additional 210 length. For both models they only use the forward side door and use both rear doors.

On the 210 considering all the fiberglass work on the coach I wonder why they don't just start the build from a cutaway chassis.

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door handle, door handle sticks, side door hard