Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
Silver Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 56
Default Pro Air 12 Volt A/C

Coachmen is now offering the Pro Air 20K BTU 12 Volt A/C on the 2019 Galleria instead of the Dometic Low Profile13,500 A/C, which is no longer offered. It's a very expensive option, but it's either that or no A/C.

Anyone have experience with this 12 volt powered Pro Air unit?
__________________

DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Coachmen is now offering the Pro Air 20K BTU 12 Volt A/C on the 2019 Galleria instead of the Dometic Low Profile13,500 A/C, which is no longer offered. It's a very expensive option, but it's either that or no A/C.

Anyone have experience with this 12 volt powered Pro Air unit?
Roadtrek offers the Pro Air but it is an under chassis unit and the one I saw in operation had an outside noise level that seriously competed with the noise of an Onan generator.

The Pro Air option offered on the Galleria is a different breed of cat. It is roof mounted with five speeds and is apparently even quieter in operation than the conventional Dometic AC it replaces. If demanded by the customer, the Galleria can be optioned with the 120V Dometic AC but IMO the 12V roof top Pro Air design is the much better choice.
__________________

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Silver Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 56
Default

Thanks cruising7388. I was told by one of the managers at the Coachmen factory that the Dometic unit is no longer offered, and that the 12 volt Pro Air is quieter and more powerful; although I can't find anything from Coachmen that gives any details on it.

At $3,375 it better be really something; and while they removed the Dometic unit from the Convenience Package, they did not reduce the package price.
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:22 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Thanks cruising7388. I was told by one of the managers at the Coachmen factory that the Dometic unit is no longer offered, and that the 12 volt Pro Air is quieter and more powerful; although I can't find anything from Coachmen that gives any details on it.

At $3,375 it better be really something; and while they removed the Dometic unit from the Convenience Package, they did not reduce the package price.
This is a new release. Coachmen is unique in that they implement rolling changes during a model year while typically most builders release them with a new model year. But LTV does this by adding a .5 suffix to a model year for rolling changes.

Roadtrek charges $4420 for their Pro Air but it's a 30k BTU unit and unless you need a meat locker environment, IMO it's overkill. I think the 20k BTU Pro Air now offered on the Galleria hits the sweet spot. Since it is a 12V unit, it looks directly at the batteries and avoids the conversion losses inherent in inverters and DC-DC converters. The Crossfit now is available with the Xantrex battery system which was introduced on the Galleria so I wouldn't be surprised to see the the Pro Air design migrate to the Crossfit and ultimately to other B upbuilders.

There are some tradeoffs. Eliminating roof air for an under chassis unit can shave about 8 inches inches off height which can help tucking one of these coaches into a garage. Also, this relocation opens up space for additional rooftop solar panels.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Silver Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 56
Default

In addition to the Pro Air A/C, the 2019 Galleria has a list of new options on the Sept 24 Price List - some potentially very interesting, although quite expensive. Hopefully, Coachmen will sometime soon provide literature with details of what they are and and what they do.
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1
Default Is 30AMP Necessary?

If you have a Galleria with the 12v ProAir A/C but you do not have a Lithium Galleria, is it necessary to have 30Amp (or generator) to run the A/C or can it safely be done if you are plugged in to a 15Amp service? Since the A/C runs on 12v, it seems that you wouldn't need 30Amp.
da1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1ton View Post
If you have a Galleria with the 12v ProAir A/C but you do not have a Lithium Galleria, is it necessary to have 30Amp (or generator) to run the A/C or can it safely be done if you are plugged in to a 15Amp service? Since the A/C runs on 12v, it seems that you wouldn't need 30Amp.
I've looked at the Coachman Galleria brochure and it's not clear how the standard 330AH AGM batteries get charged when plugged in. It does indicate a 2000W inverter, but it does not say if it is also a charger. I would assume it is.

My 200W Magnum inverter/charger will put out 100A DC from charger with a 15A AC input. That should be enough to run the ProAir 12V DC A/C system in all but the warmest conditions according to their spec sheet attached. But you would not be able to handle much of an additional 120VAC load in the van when plugged into a 15A 120VAC circuit. Pretty much the way my standard 120VAC A/C systems works now, when I'm plugged into a 15A AC source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ProAirElectra-Kool.JPG (127.0 KB, 39 views)
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 617
Default

Hi Boxter,

I don't understand. The amps used is determined by the outside temperature or inside? Not the compressor on or off? Obviously ignorant here, please help.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi Boxter,

I don't understand. The amps used is determined by the outside temperature or inside? Not the compressor on or off? Obviously ignorant here, please help.

Bud
The ProAir data is for "ambient", since the whole unit sits on the roof outside I assume they are listing those current draws for the outside temps listed in the sell sheet I attached.

- - Mike
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The ProAir data is for "ambient", since the whole unit sits on the roof outside I assume they are listing those current draws for the outside temps listed in the sell sheet I attached.

- - Mike
I still don't understand. How are amps used determined by ambient temperature. Is it based on assumptions about compressor use over time, compressor on and off.

Bud
__________________

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.