Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #901

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
My Toy Hauler
Attachment 6448
That's what I want to do. Did you happen to add any helper springs and do you find the hitch handling the load ok or did you reinforce it? Looks great!
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #902
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
That's what I want to do. Did you happen to add any helper springs and do you find the hitch handling the load ok or did you reinforce it? Looks great!
No helper springs or Sumos or Timbrens. That bike only weighs 200lbs. If you look closely, you will see two blue straps that are attached to the carrier and the upper door hinges. When they are pulled tight they take a lot of the weight off the hitch and also eliminate almost all the rocking.

I think I'll be fine as is but if I wanted to carry anything heavier, I would look into reinforcing the hitch.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #903
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
No helper springs or Sumos or Timbrens. That bike only weighs 200lbs. If you look closely, you will see two blue straps that are attached to the carrier and the upper door hinges. When they are pulled tight they take a lot of the weight off the hitch and also eliminate almost all the rocking.

I think I'll be fine as is but if I wanted to carry anything heavier, I would look into reinforcing the hitch.
This looks really cool, great idea with the straps on the hinges. I'm also considering carrying a 200lbs motorbike on the hitch of a B or B+ but was concerned about it with the carrier being a bit too close to the weight limit on some of the RVs I was considering (like the Winnebago Trend) I think the Travato hitch limit is a bit higher though.
Do you have a reference for the carrier you're using?
tooTallforB? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #904
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooTallforB? View Post
This looks really cool, great idea with the straps on the hinges. I'm also considering carrying a 200lbs motorbike on the hitch of a B or B+ but was concerned about it with the carrier being a bit too close to the weight limit on some of the RVs I was considering (like the Winnebago Trend) I think the Travato hitch limit is a bit higher though.
Do you have a reference for the carrier you're using?
It's a Harbor Freight, which I have no reason to recommend even though they have recently redesigned them because they were having some failures. There are many on eBay and Amazon for around the same $100-$150 price range.

The weak link in all this is the hitch. The Promaster/Ducato is a monocoque and has no true frame rails to bolt a hitch to. Being extended and having tanks and what all in the way also doesn't help with the mounting. That hitch, and probably the one on a Trend, is only bolted to the ends of the "frame" and has no cantilevered support arms. Those are what get added when people say they reinforce the hitch. Unfortunately, those arms are still screwed to sheet metal although it must be better than the stock hitch.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #905
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman View Post
I agree in that there is no place to hang out in the 59k. I only use my bed to sleep in and don't want to sit in bed all day. In my apartment I have a sofa bed because I think normal beds take up too much space. This problem is multiplied in a class B. I don't get these vans with the twin beds in back and no normal seating besides the two chassis seats. I much prefer the dinette in the 59g, or a rear sofa bed in the sprinters. The least important thing to me is the beds, but I am able to sleep on anything. I want space to sit - not in bed.
I guess that kinda defines the saying “different strokes for different folks”,
I hated my ERA 70a with rear beds and tiny “skinny” bath. Yea it had a small bench seat behind the driver seat (which swivel with passenger to create a seating area - if you can call it that, it was tight and portable table was useless anyway.)

I had a 2017 Winnebago ERA 70a (which had the rear twin bed also convertible to larger bed). I like the twin setup - easily to climb out of than when full.

I hated my bathroom setup in the WB 70a. Also at almost 24’ it was still pretty big when parking (sticks out in most spots in parking lots). So I wanted shorter van and larger bath (at least where you stand in shower), 70a very narrow.

So recently I took the hit and traded in my 2017 ERA 70a on a 2019 Travato 59k.

I am much happier with the use of space. The rear bath (still a wet bath) but has a lot more room in it for shower. I like the twin beds better with the isle all the way between them - easy egress to to bathroom -(btw they can still be made into one large bed - but I never do that since I pref the ease of use getting in or out of the single.)
And I like the open floor plan & lots of windows in the Travato. The ERA was kinda narrow inside like in a submarine. It’s a matter of preference. Quality wise on the cabinets and build is same - both by Winnebago. Both have 200w solar packages.
The fridge is smaller than the ERA but I haven’t missed it. And I actually prefer the compressor type how it is always the exact same temperature. My ammonia 3 way would swing some depends on outside temps.
My Travato is just shy of 21’ which I find has made it much easier on fitting in parking spaces.

My only regret is the promaster gas 3.7 doesn’t have as good of torque as my diesel sprinter had (it down shifts a lot on hills where the sprinter would just power through). Fuel economy is also slightly less. Being honest with my drive style, I got an overall average mpg of 16/17 in my sprinter and now same speeds and style I get 14/15 with Travato.
I’m curious about the promaster diesel and how it performs.
Regarding the generator. I much prefer the gas one in my Travato over the propane one in the ERA.
I like the convenience of just filling the van gas tank to fuel the generator, not worry about finding a propane fueling station. Also I think the gas one is slightly more fuel efficient.

Although 2 years older The value of my ERA was probably about the same as the Travato. The whole transaction cost me just over $6k to swap.
And longevity wise, I suspect the ERA will hold value higher and longer than the Travato.
Was it a smart move? Value wise maybe not so much.
But I was not happy with the ERA so comfort wise the answer is yes.
I am a much happier camper now!
In the end, my happiness trumped the decision.
It was a $6k+ lesson for me (more after taxes and new registration costs). But what is the price of happiness? I’m old and you can’t take it with you when you check out! LOL

Sorry for the long story - the sleeping arrangement was an important consideration in my choices. I really like the Travato 59k layout. (I considered the leisure travel Wonder with front beds also).

In any case this is not my first venture in RV’s I have had 3 different travel trailers 1 being a 5th wheel toy hauler, I much prefer the smaller van life and ease of use.
I just thought I would share my opinion on these.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #906
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Sorry for the long story - I just thought I would share my opinion on these.
I enjoyed reading your reasons for making the switch! Congrats! Would have really sucked if you had regrets.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #907
Platinum Member

Default Glad it all worked out for you...a class B is a compromise on space.. but has other b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
I guess that kinda defines the saying “different strokes for different folks”,
I hated my ERA 70a with rear beds and tiny “skinny” bath. Yea it had a small bench seat behind the driver seat (which swivel with passenger to create a seating area - if you can call it that, it was tight and portable table was useless anyway.)

I had a 2017 Winnebago ERA 70a (which had the rear twin bed also convertible to larger bed). I like the twin setup - easily to climb out of than when full.

I hated my bathroom setup in the WB 70a. Also at almost 24’ it was still pretty big when parking (sticks out in most spots in parking lots). So I wanted shorter van and larger bath (at least where you stand in shower), 70a very narrow.

So recently I took the hit and traded in my 2017 ERA 70a on a 2019 Travato 59k.

I am much happier with the use of space. The rear bath (still a wet bath) but has a lot more room in it for shower. I like the twin beds better with the isle all the way between them - easy egress to to bathroom -(btw they can still be made into one large bed - but I never do that since I pref the ease of use getting in or out of the single.)
And I like the open floor plan & lots of windows in the Travato. The ERA was kinda narrow inside like in a submarine. It’s a matter of preference. Quality wise on the cabinets and build is same - both by Winnebago. Both have 200w solar packages.
The fridge is smaller than the ERA but I haven’t missed it. And I actually prefer the compressor type how it is always the exact same temperature. My ammonia 3 way would swing some depends on outside temps.
My Travato is just shy of 21’ which I find has made it much easier on fitting in parking spaces.

My only regret is the promaster gas 3.7 doesn’t have as good of torque as my diesel sprinter had (it down shifts a lot on hills where the sprinter would just power through). Fuel economy is also slightly less. Being honest with my drive style, I got an overall average mpg of 16/17 in my sprinter and now same speeds and style I get 14/15 with Travato.
I’m curious about the promaster diesel and how it performs.
Regarding the generator. I much prefer the gas one in my Travato over the propane one in the ERA.
I like the convenience of just filling the van gas tank to fuel the generator, not worry about finding a propane fueling station. Also I think the gas one is slightly more fuel efficient.

Although 2 years older The value of my ERA was probably about the same as the Travato. The whole transaction cost me just over $6k to swap.
And longevity wise, I suspect the ERA will hold value higher and longer than the Travato.
Was it a smart move? Value wise maybe not so much.
But I was not happy with the ERA so comfort wise the answer is yes.
I am a much happier camper now!
In the end, my happiness trumped the decision.
It was a $6k+ lesson for me (more after taxes and new registration costs). But what is the price of happiness? I’m old and you can’t take it with you when you check out! LOL

Sorry for the long story - the sleeping arrangement was an important consideration in my choices. I really like the Travato 59k layout. (I considered the leisure travel Wonder with front beds also).

In any case this is not my first venture in RV’s I have had 3 different travel trailers 1 being a 5th wheel toy hauler, I much prefer the smaller van life and ease of use.
I just thought I would share my opinion on these.

We had a small teardrop trailer for three and a half years before we got the Sprinter...
Setting up the teardrop trailer was a huge chore and when ever we switched locations...well I didn't like it.....

On the other hand....we could detach the car and be perfectly mobile with the trailer as the home base....

Again...trade offs...

Didn't know that most Winnebago Era Class B's had the two twins on either side of the coach.... when we first looked at Class B's.... I thought that the Airstream Interstate Lounge was a great setup... soon discovered that it's not safe sitting sideways if you in an accident..

We looked at so many Classes of RVs...some with the front Murphy bed and others that were Class B + models..... like the Navion.... drove it and it felt like a floating boat to me....

None of the Class B's, in my opinion, are designed for spending excessive amounts of time inside when you reach your destination.....we found out that traveling in very cold weather kept us inside more than we liked... even with the convertible sofa bed ( see picture), it's pretty small quarters.... like you, I have many times described my rig as a small rolling submarine...

The rear sofa is electric and just folds down flat to a king size bed ...we use a mattress topper with the sheets pinned to the topper... and the whole thing rolls up when we're not using it and stored overhead...

What is GREAT about the Class B's is the ability to tour and go places that a Class A or C vehicle cannot easily go... and I've parked my Class B in the city... urban areas... where the population is high....not my favorite thing...but, is possible....

Here's a few pictures of the inside of my RV...

More of a three season vehicle...it's great traveling in, but way too small for living in.... although I understand people do it.....I just wouldn't want to....

Enjoy your Travato..... I love the way my turbo diesel engine performs when it's running fine... trouble is I've had three incidents with the check engine light...in 18 months...
Conversly, I've had my car almost 5 years...it's two years older and twice the mileage of my RS Adventurous.... engine light has NEVER come on.

Kind of hurts me to say this ... but, in terms of being on the road....I have a lot more confidence in my 2010 Subaru Outback...than I do of the RV.... just returned from a 7,500 miles round-trip ...no issues at all... I'm not taking about house issues... just referring to engine performance.....

Anyway... good luck...and I agree with you 1,000 percent... you can't take it with you... that was the whole reason I purchased my RS...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113723.jpg (228.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113656.jpg (238.3 KB, 31 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote