Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default How Safe are Adapters?

So I知 wondering how safe adapters are. I知 seeing some campgrounds have 50 amp and just curious how safe using an adapter to go from 50 to 30 is. Or using a 30 to 15 to plug in at home. I realize it can be done but is there anything to worry about/look out for?
Old 08-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
So I知 wondering how safe adapters are. I知 seeing some campgrounds have 50 amp and just curious how safe using an adapter to go from 50 to 30 is. Or using a 30 to 15 to plug in at home. I realize it can be done but is there anything to worry about/look out for?
As long as you are going down, it is perfectly safe. The other direction might be problematic.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My Van came with a 50/30 plug adapter
I've never used it, but the previous owner must have had a use for it.

Campgrounds we've been to the "50 amp sites" are generally longer and more expensive, they also tend to not be shady.
but we've never run into an all "50 amp" campground.

I made an adapter for use at home as my outside outlet by the driveway is on a 20 amp breaker.

I've never exceeded that.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Pennsylvania state parks seem to be putting 50A (no 30A) outlets in newer handicap sites, at least in some cases.

(You are allowed to take handicapped sites if they are the only ones available)
Old 08-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you use an adapter, make sure it is a good one, as there are poorly made ones from China. The inside wiring is of smaller gauge and will create heat problems. In one campground in Missouri, they were 50 amp only but supplied you with an adapter for 30 amps. Use an adapter with a short cord instead of the round plug of 30 to 15amp.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

At home, a 15A wall outlet to 30A RV adapter typically means only 15A to the coach. You could trip the breaker at the house/garage panel. You can't overload the 30A cord itself. If plugging into a 20A outlet then there's a possible risk of fire at the 15A adapter due to 20A current through it.

A 30A pedestal outlet to 15A cord adapter does present the possibility of 30A on a 15A cord and that presents a fire risk.

50A RV is really like separate 120V 50A and 120V 50A as far as I know. Two hots, one neutral and one ground. Rated 50A due to common neutral wire. The breaker would trip at 50A. You can measure 240V across the two hots but the two hots go to two different 120V load centers in an RV wired for 50A service. A 50A to 30A adapter does present the possibility of 50A on a 30A cord but the risk seems small as the RV would have a 30A breaker.

The 30A outlets at campgrounds tend to get the most use and get worn out and loose & sometimes even look a bit melted. I use the 50A adapter if the 30A outlet looks suspect.

Edited.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
A 30A pedestal outlet to 15A cord adapter does present the possibility of 30A on a 15A cord and that presents a fire risk.
That is true. I keep a long 20A extension cord for times when I need an extra-long run, but it has a built-in breaker for that reason.

More often, I am using a 30->15 adaptor and the 30A cord, in which case the cord is fine and you are protected by a 15A breaker.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That is true. I keep a long 20A extension cord for times when I need an extra-long run, but it has a built-in breaker for that reason.

More often, I am using a 30->15 adaptor and the 30A cord, in which case the cord is fine and you are protected by a 15A breaker.

avanti, you're going to know the answer:

Could one carry two 50/30 adapters? You plug in and no power, pull out the other adaptor that seizes the 'other' 120 volt circuit that may be working. Maybe that can't happen (neutral, ground).
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
You plug in and no power

at that point stop

unless it is just the breaker needs turned on, there is a problem and there is risk in attaching anything ( or anyone) you like to it

I carry a meter and check power before plugging in
I have found errors
Mike
Old 08-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
at that point stop

unless it is just the breaker needs turned on, there is a problem and there is risk in attaching anything ( or anyone) you like to it

I carry a meter and check power before plugging in
I have found errors
Mike
You could still do that, right?

Is it possible that one of the 120 circuits works and the other does not?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
You could still do that, right?

Is it possible that one of the 120 circuits works and the other does not?
I agree with MK:
What you describe is certainly possible, but I would try very hard to avoid using an outlet that was so obviously misbehaving.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The outlets for 50 amps are really just 220v outlets with neutral like you would see for a stove or water heater. The setup allow you to have a stove, for instance, with 220v elements and 110v controls and lamps, etc.

In an RV plug the outlet end to the RV goes to basically the same thing as the mains in your house. 110v to each of the hot poles that are 180 degrees phased and neutral to the neutral bar and ground to ground bar.

In and RV you have make sure the two hots never come in contact with each other as that is 220v if they come off the opposite poles. You also have to look out because it is somewhat common to have both poles into a box, but only one neutral back. Opening that neutral can make the two poles combine to a 220v series circuit through anything plugged into them.

House wiring was done very similarly before the days of Romex as it was really nice for the electricians to run the the two hots and one neutral in conduit and be able to easily split off the circuits downstream. I was shocked, not literally, to find our house kitchen wired this way to get two 20 amp 110v circuits with a 12/3 Romex cable from the main box. Normally there would be a not in or by the box that it is 220v possible, but it wasn't there.

All the 50 to 30 amp adapters do is leave of the hots out, but you still can get 50 amps on the side that is left.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I agree with MK:
What you describe is certainly possible, but I would try very hard to avoid using an outlet that was so obviously misbehaving.
avanti, maybe that is why I've never noticed that there was a choice about which 120 the adaptor uses. Wonder if the manufacturers use the same one or 50/50 chance...........

Thanks.

Bud
Old 08-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The outlets for 50 amps are really just 220v outlets with neutral like you would see for a stove or water heater. The setup allow you to have a stove, for instance, with 220v elements and 110v controls and lamps, etc.

In an RV plug the outlet end to the RV goes to basically the same thing as the mains in your house. 110v to each of the hot poles that are 180 degrees phased and neutral to the neutral bar and ground to ground bar.

In and RV you have make sure the two hots never come in contact with each other as that is 220v if they come off the opposite poles. You also have to look out because it is somewhat common to have both poles into a box, but only one neutral back. Opening that neutral can make the two poles combine to a 220v series circuit through anything plugged into them.

House wiring was done very similarly before the days of Romex as it was really nice for the electricians to run the the two hots and one neutral in conduit and be able to easily split off the circuits downstream. I was shocked, not literally, to find our house kitchen wired this way to get two 20 amp 110v circuits with a 12/3 Romex cable from the main box. Normally there would be a not in or by the box that it is 220v possible, but it wasn't there.

All the 50 to 30 amp adapters do is leave of the hots out, but you still can get 50 amps on the side that is left.

Thanks booters, but I can't seem to stop.

Two Bs pull in next to each other with 2 50 amp only pedestals, but only one works. How could you power both B's with the one 50 amp outlet?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #15
Platinum Member

unless you know electricity you'll not know when a situation is fatal, or easily fixed.

a bad pedestal requires it be serviced, then checked

anything beyond "the breaker is off" needs to be checked.

I've been shocked due to other's thinking/hoping they knew what they were doing
I've seen people shocked- it is always negligence

If unsure walk away.

the only "safe" in your scenario above is plug 1 B into the known working safe circuit.
plug the second B into the first's outside outlet.
Don't use microwave or A/C

so better to contact the person responsible for stuff working at the park

Mike
Old 08-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks booters, but I can't seem to stop.

Two Bs pull in next to each other with 2 50 amp only pedestals, but only one works. How could you power both B's with the one 50 amp outlet?

Who is "booters"

The only way I can think of would entail having two cords, on to each van that went into a box. Each cord would a hot/neutral/ground. In the box you bring in an RV cord with the 50 amp plug on it. It would be hot1/hot2/neutral/ground.

Wiring would be:

Neutrals from all 3 cords tied together

Grounds for all 3 cords tied together

Hot1 to one van hot

Hot2 to other van hot

You would still need to put some overcurrent protection on the van cables as they each would have 50 amps available.

Easiest would be to just wire the 50 amp cord into a two breaker box and hook up the two other cords on to each breaker.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Who is "booters"

The only way I can think of would entail having two cords, on to each van that went into a box. Each cord would a hot/neutral/ground. In the box you bring in an RV cord with the 50 amp plug on it. It would be hot1/hot2/neutral/ground.

Wiring would be:

Neutrals from all 3 cords tied together

Grounds for all 3 cords tied together

Hot1 to one van hot

Hot2 to other van hot

You would still need to put some overcurrent protection on the van cables as they each would have 50 amps available.

Easiest would be to just wire the 50 amp cord into a two breaker box and hook up the two other cords on to each breaker.

Thanks, sorry about the name and appreciated the 'big grin'.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #18
Gold Member

Wow! If you want an answer, you can definitely get one on these forums. A simple yes or no would do guys. Haha. Seriously, appreciate it.