Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2023, 04:45 PM   #61
Gold Member

Should have been more clear. This is a 2005 Versatile. Both pics are the outside storage drawer on the driver side at the very back. The mouse hole is on the left. The plug is on the right.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:16 PM   #62
Platinum Member

No really decent manual but 2004 stated cord is stored in compartment behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. That would put the cord from the transfer switch coming in from the where the red bonnet is on the cable so that looks to be a fixed entry from under the van and over to the transfer switch on the other side of the van.

The other end would be a mousehole through to the wheelwell probably directly to the rear of the van at the tire. The cord would get fished out the hole to use and would have no plug on it as it is attached right to the van.

This would make putting socket for a plug in the mousehole opening as it would get direct spray and debris thrown on it by the tire continuously.

I think that you would be best served by removing the permanent wiring in the compartment and move the cable from the transfer switch to a rear a bumper install of the receptacle and use the cord as a loose item that you store in the same compartment, but will have no wiring in. Previous posters showed how the bumper connection looks in place on other brands of vans, but it would work similarly on the Roadtrek.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
Should have been more clear. This is a 2005 Versatile. Both pics are the outside storage drawer on the driver side at the very back. The mouse hole is on the left. The plug is on the right.
FWIW, several years ago Mobilife in Kitchener Ontario did a great job inserting a permanent exterior female plug in the mouse hole of our 2012 RT Ranger's passenger side storage compartment. They have been repairing RTs since the '80's and will know your rig's design. You could give them a call. The mechanic's name is Jeff, a good guy with tons off RT repair knowledge.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
FWIW, several years ago Mobilife in Kitchener Ontario did a great job inserting a permanent exterior female plug in the mouse hole of our 2012 RT Ranger's passenger side storage compartment. They have been repairing RTs since the '80's and will know your rig's design. You could give them a call. The mechanic's name is Jeff, a good guy with tons off RT repair knowledge.

Did your original cord come out on the passenger side? If so, that is pretty unusual, I think.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Did your original cord come out on the passenger side? If so, that is pretty unusual, I think.
Yes, it was definitely the passenger side. There is no driver's side storage compartment on our 2012 190 Ranger.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:38 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, it was definitely the passenger side. There is no driver's side storage compartment on our 2012 190 Ranger.
Correction to my previous two posts ... it was the left side not the right side. Apologies to anyone reading my posts.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:40 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Correction to my previous two posts ... it was the left side not the right side. Apologies to anyone reading my posts.

I kind of thought that might have happened as you did the same conversion as we did our 07 190P. First time was with a twist lock and second time was with a Smartplug.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:52 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I kind of thought that might have happened as you did the same conversion as we did our 07 190P. First time was with a twist lock and second time was with a Smartplug.
Yup ... lol
Old 04-18-2023, 11:01 PM   #69
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have a picture. I am trying to decide exactly how I want to do mine, therefore asking for all the pics I can get.

r/Bob
Old 04-19-2023, 12:48 AM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have a picture. I am trying to decide exactly how I want to do mine, therefore asking for all the pics I can get.
r/Bob
I'll take some tomorrow; you may have to be patient since this will be the first time I attach photos to a post. Please note that the 30 amp power inlet locking unit was inserted at the inside back of the driver's side storage compartment (not the right side), and it is a male plug (not female). We open/raise the exterior shower door to secure (screw on) the shore cord female twistlock to the male locking unit.

We had the unit put on in 2019 and, to date, it has worked flawlessly.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:00 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll take some tomorrow; you may have to be patient since this will be the first time I attach photos to a post. Please note that the 30 amp power inlet locking unit was inserted at the inside back of the driver's side storage compartment (not the right side), and it is a male plug (not female). We open/raise the exterior shower door to secure (screw on) the shore cord female twistlock to the male locking unit.

We had the unit put on in 2019 and, to date, it has worked flawlessly.
Are you talking about a Smartplug, the topic of this thread? There is no twistlock or screw on. We had one installed on the side because the hole was cut already before installing and on our second van under the back bumper as others have shown. This is our first installation on the side of the van and the second one in the back underneath left of the back step bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Smartplug.jpeg (264.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg Electrical SmartPlug.jpeg (185.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg Mies Back Sorage.jpeg (265.6 KB, 6 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:14 PM   #72
Gold Member

Thanks for the pics. I would really like to put under the bumper or the side. My current location is in the drawer at the rear. Unstat in my opinion. Anyway, I am talking about a smart plug. I have a tire carrier on the left rear of my RT. Again, I really am not into tire carriers. That's another subject for later. I will look again at the bottom of the bumper.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #73
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Davydd;146452]Are you talking about a Smartplug, the topic of this thread? There is no twistlock or screw on.

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. I would really like to put under the bumper or the side. My current location is in the drawer at the rear. Unstat in my opinion. Anyway, I am talking about a smart plug. I have a tire carrier on the left rear of my RT. Again, I really am not into tire carriers. That's another subject for later. I will look again at the bottom of the bumper.
To Davydd: Nope, I was referring to the "twist lock screw" on system installed on my rig in 2019; I stand corrected ... again.
To Bangorbob: It looks like you got the pictures you needed, so I'll stand down on sending you mine.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you have it concealed in a drawer I would leave it there unless you can utilize that drawer for something else. The advantage of the Smartplug is you can connect in a lot easier than what you currently have and probably would not have to mess with the existing wiring.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #75
Gold Member

Davy, Here are a couple pics of the set up on my 05c210v. The plug is on the right and the mouse hole is on the left. Gotta run the power cord thru the mouse hole across the drawer in order to plug in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT Shore Connect.jpg (166.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg RT Mouse Hole.jpg (211.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Davy, Here are a couple pics of the set up on my 05c210v. The plug is on the right and the mouse hole is on the left. Gotta run the power cord thru the mouse hole across the drawer in order to plug in.

That makes things a bit clearer, but what is on the other side of the mousehole? Is that in the wheelwell opening our in a storage compartment?

If you could post a pic of the that other side it would be helpful.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #77
Gold Member

Here are the pics. A mudflap is riveted in place just in front of the mouse hole. Don't know if the mud flaps are original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse Hole Mud Flap.jpg (192.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Top of Mud Flap.jpg (260.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 02:24 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here are the pics. A mudflap is riveted in place just in front of the mouse hole. Don't know if the mud flaps are original.
Pretty sure the mud flaps are original as my 2006 210P has the same flaps.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #79
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Pretty sure the mud flaps are original as my 2006 210P has the same flaps.
Are they riveted to the box near the mouse hole?
Old 04-21-2023, 01:05 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are they riveted to the box near the mouse hole?
You can see a mud flap screw/washer to the left of the opening. There are other screws, but not that many (I didn't count). The flap is thick and stiff.

This view shows a good perspective of the setup. The entry hole has a screw in cover that you see resting on the drawer. The cord is fed across the entire width of the compartment. Many times I attach the cord without feeding it through the hole, and leave the drawer partially open.

If I were to install a Smart Plug I might move the hookup point outside the storage compartment. Perhaps just on the outside area of the present location or on the rear bumper.

Not sure I see a need to do this as the present setup works fine. I did just clean my electrical plug connections with Deoxit and a bristle wheel on my Dremel (which works great BTW).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek Water Electrical Compartment.jpg (149.7 KB, 6 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote