Old 05-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #41
Platinum Member

The prices have dropped a lot, I think, since I last looked at them probably 5 years ago. Hodges Marine has the full kit of the white plastic inlet and 30' cordset for $216 with free shipping. That would give us 5' more cord and cold weather rollup on our Roadtrek, so very tempting to be sure. Should be easy install for us as we are already modified to a twist lock.

They are currently backordered and stating delivery in June to early July, but no hurry for us anyway.

We have been looking at extra flex cord for ours and at 30' you can get over $100 very quickly, if you can find any at all in small quantities.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
No, you didn't misunderstand George's question. George was an early pioneer when he bought his when only available for boats and had to modify the cable for his RV. I just mentioned you can now buy the Smartplug 30A cable you don't have to modify and I thought it was superior to my previous RV cables I had in the past. I don't know how much you save by modifying the end of an existing cable you already had.
About 5 years ago, we were moving and my cable modified to Smart Plug was accidentally packed in storage so I bought a black RV Smart Plug cable. It is indeed more flexible and easier to coil. In addition, it has a little blue LED power indicator which I like lot, at glance I can see if the cable is powered.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Easily available may not be correct. I went to replace mine and went to Lowes and HD and found one which LOOKS very similar and was listed as 30 amp 120 volts but, unfortunately, it did not fit. I returned it and went to a wholesale electrical distributor who pulled out the Hubbell catalog and found that there is an RV specific connector which is much like another model: same diameter, same pins,Execpt that the little offset on the ground pin was different. He didnt have one so I ended up at Camping World. I could have saved a lot of time by going to an RV supply first.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Sorry if it was my earlier post sent on a goose chase

My RV uses a connector type L5-30
Rated for 30A 125 volts
( the pedestal end is a TT-30)

Home Depot carries the for $19

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS...530R/303108445

Camping World for $17.47

https://www.campingworld.com/hubbell...-plugs-outlets

This is the "R" version for receptacle

the "P" version is a plug ( if making an extension)

For 30 amp load use 10/3 wire

Amazon has a number of end connectors and full cable sets as well

mike

mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote