Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2023, 11:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Starlink Flat Mount

NE8MX8 RJ 45 Cable connector (markertek.com)

NE8FDX-Y6-W Waterproof RJ 45 panel connector (markertek.com)

Starlink flat mount. Star-mountsystems.com

Stainless roof mount brackets (four) L Foot 3 hole. amsolar.com

35mm Stainless rocker foot mount set (four) amsolar.com

Seachoice Cable Outlet Amazon, West Marine

The Neutrik connectors do not require a crimper.

This group isn’t too interested in Starlink but thought I would share anyway. I finally finished the flat mount system on a class B. Park, not under trees, or other obstructions, flip a switch and you are on line.

I have one 100AH lithium battery and one 90AH FLA battery. We will see if it is enough.

Current draw 4-5 amps. Convert to direct 12 volts and you can reduce that to 2-3 amps, I think. I chose not to do that.

The mounting feet are tape mounted but since it was difficult to get the double feet to sit flat I did use very short screws to help. Mounts were covered with Eternabond tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.jpg (243.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0911.jpg (151.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0915.jpg (173.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0912.jpg (191.4 KB, 17 views)
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Park, not under trees, or other obstructions, flip a switch and you are on line.
I was under the impression you needed an unobstructred view of the horizon -- is that not the case? I just looked at the map on their website -- do they now have service everywhere in the continental US? You make it sound very easy and dependable, I had not realized that it was that far along.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Starlink wants a 100 degree view of the sky but it will work with less. I’ve used it for over two years with a removable roof antenna. They have arrived, but $150/mo is not cheap.

This is my first foray with a flat mount. I’ll be traveling the next few weeks and will let you know how it works. Park in a large parking lot, all is well, park in an RV park with a lot of trees, maybe not.

It will not work in my driveway due to a tree. Move to the street and all is well.

This was a lot of work. Should you damage your antenna when you cut it up you are out $600. It just isn’t feasable to carry an antenna in a class B. Roof mount takes no space.

It works everywhere and always has. They just wouldn’t sell you one everywhere. Now they will.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:28 AM   #4
Site Team

I for one am certainly interested. However, I am trying to wait for the new, relatively tiny dish. Received FCC approval awhile ago, so...

We really like trees, so I am thinking that I want a portable dish.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:36 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Had a wrong part number for the panel mount connector in the original post. Edited

The flat mounts can be made quickly removable but you need a ladder.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Greetings from the base of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. This is perfect for the flat mount roof antenna. Broadband is available here so it isn’t needed.

Can anyone remember the DataStorm antenna? $6500, 65lbs +, roof mounted for dial up speeds (specs from memory, don’t remember the monthly rate.) Only saw it mounted on class A RVs. At the time broadband was not available so internet communication has come a long way. Having a Datastorm System was a rare and big deal.

Now a $1000 can get you a system that fits on a class B and works very, very well, just not under trees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0917.jpg (325.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-17-2023, 06:18 AM   #7
Platinum Member

New flat mount dish from Starlink

https://diyrvliving.com/new-starlink-dish-nov-23/

I cannot find the source info from Starlink and it is not available to purchase on my account. I assume it to be true with more information to come.

Best news is you now have a dish you can aim at an opening in the trees without modifying it. According to the link it is a little larger and uses more 110v power.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Been a week on the road and all is well. I’ve had to reboot a time or two to get a connection back.

Mooch docking over Thanksgiving it runs 24/7 reliably. Overnight in Las Vegas broadband was faster. Worked perfectly in the no cell service areas of Nevada. It is turned off when moving. The SPX connector into the router seems to need reconnecting occasionally. It is the only SPX connector left. If it causes much more trouble it will be replaced with RJ45.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Just returned from 2 1/2 weeks of travel from Phoenix to Seattle and back.

Solid heavy rain from Seattle almost to Sacramento. Starlink connected every evening even though the waterproof connector is facing forward. It must really be waterproof!

The system turns on the heater in rain. I think it has to do with signal attenuation as the heater is just an increase in signal power. I left it on but it is a one to two amp increase in 12 volt power.

A single 100AH lithium battery is enough to run it for an evening. Total current drain with heater and lights was about 5 amps. I would start the generator at 80% battery if it was not bothering anyone.

The Starmount case developed an arc before it was even installed. Anyone that thinks they know how a phased array antenna works would see a problem with that. Anyone that really knows how one works may understand why it does not seem to be a problem. Speed was 150mbs at midnight in Quartzsite even with the bend.

Next time I take it down I’ll shim the antenna flat inside. It worked very well. I expected problems with the rain, there were none. Attached is a picture of the arc in the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0920.jpg (204.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-18-2024, 07:22 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Another trip, all worked well. Phoenix-Dallas-Phoenix. I use it for traveling with overnight stops, not for multiple day stays beside a lake under trees so it works for me.

The unpause feature seems to be instant with no complications. The pause feature takes effect at your next billing date. In many locations broadband is good enough. The other places I may get three bars but data is very slow or impossible. Flip the 300 watt inverter on that powers the Starlink and all is well. I travel solo and am off the road by dark so it is an important part of my entertainment and worth the money.

I believe the 12 3/32” vent holes in the bottom corners of the Starmount are important. Not so sure the wide area washers under the heads of the bolts holding the cover on are necessary. Will check tomorrow for plexiglass cracks. Been through a lot of rain with no problems. Just an FYI.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:57 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Very nice, detailed report. Thank you.

Interesting the number of roof-mounted solar panels - guess those folks must not stay under trees? If that's the case, seems like they'd be interested. Of course the price of admission is high and the recurring costs. Just have to weigh the benefits I guess.

Thanks again for the details.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Congratulations on the StarLink mounting job, as I did enjoy reading your post. Hope that want be the last on the subject! More picks and step by step instructions on wiring connections to your Class B. Thanks for sharing. I think if I do one, I would, only add a front wind deflector to cut out as much vibrations as possible. Great JOB!
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote