Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Attention California Class B Owners

CA Smog Certs
I've come across a nicely priced 2001 PW registered in FL (2001 Dodge Ram Van LWB). Has anyone had any issues in CA getting these type of out-of-state vans (or any class b) smogged? The EPA sticker is a 49-state sticker. Thanks
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #2

For a vehicle that year as long as the vehicle OBD II monitors are all clear, there is no check engine light and there are no illegal modifications to the vehicle it will pass smog in California. You can check the OBD II monitors with a scan tool.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

People who bring vehicles into CA have problem with "new" vehicles-

a used vehicle ( It was defined as 7500 miles) is not a problem

as above, as long as it is in good operating condition, no trouble codes and has not had the emissions gear modified.
( unlikely but it happens)

as part of the purchase I would have it inspected locally to ensure no problems once home

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
as part of the purchase I would have it inspected locally to ensure no problems once home
Yes. I would also go so far as to suggest that the sales agreement contain an addendum warranting that the emissions system has not been illegally modified. It is not always easy to determine whether this has done and, sadly, it is not that uncommon.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
For a vehicle that year as long as the vehicle OBD II monitors are all clear, there is no check engine light and there are no illegal modifications to the vehicle it will pass smog in California. You can check the OBD II monitors with a scan tool.
Thanks. FL no longer does smog tests so illegal modifications is definitely something to look for. I'll be using a local inspector...if I get that far in the process. I'll ask about that OBD II scan

This is a high-mileage van with a recent engine rebuild. Owner has several years worth of maint records. Hoping the rest of the drive train, etc is ok. House interior looks great in pics and the price is nice too. Worthy of more follow-up
Old 01-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #6

O.P. didnt mention if vehicle is in CA or FL? CA law states that Seller must include valid(90 days) Smog certificate when selling. Complicating this, I've found some "mechanics" dont always replace all the emission equipment when doing a rebuild-especially in a van where engine access is difficult.. As pointed out above, make the Sale contingent on vehicle passing smog(or take a chance and get DEEP discount for AS-IS sale)
rekkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:04 AM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekkerT View Post
O.P. didnt mention if vehicle is in CA or FL?...CA law states that Seller must include valid(90 days) Smog certificate when selling. Complicating this
Vehicle is in FL. However the maintenance records show a couple of emission checks during maint. I see sensors replaced at one time also. I guess the owner didn't get wild with it haha

Quote:
I've found some "mechanics" dont always replace all the emission equipment when doing a rebuild-especially in a van where engine access is difficult..
Good point. It turns out the engine was replaced with a remanufactured engine 4/9/2018 at 214,322 miles.

Quote:
As pointed out above, make the Sale contingent on vehicle passing smog(or take a chance and get DEEP discount for AS-IS sale)
Since the vehicle is in FL that may be difficult. I'll ask inspector what he can do. Perhaps I can have owner attest to no modifications to system. (the owner is a dodge/chry dealer)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:20 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
Verhaps I can have owner attest to no modifications to system. (the owner is a dodge/chry dealer)
I'm having a hard time imagining a new vehicle dealer willing to offer a vehicle for sale with a modified emissions system. Anything questionable goes off to auction. You can ask by e-mail and you'll have a record of their answer.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #9
Gold Member

The maintenance records show the emissions components were checked a couple of times as a matter of course. Everything looks good and I put in an offer contingent on inspection -- waiting for them to accept or counter (they will need to de-list it until after inspection). I've got an RVIA inspector ready to go and he will include engine scans for emission codes as part of the regular package. I've never purchased a vehicle out of state, nor online. My nerves are shot

Old 02-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #10

Along with what is already been said you might possibly have an issue a year or two down the line when you go for a CA smog check and the tech sees the CAT is 49 state and not CA-compliant? I know I've had issues with a different vehicle that is a CA vehicle and has a CA-compliant CAT whose number is no longer on the approved list, and I've had to prove it was legal the year it was installed.

I would think if you get the van it should be as simple as going to a local exhaust shop and having them replace the CAT with the appropriate CA-compliant version.

Eric W.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Cal-compliant cat regulation is stupid. There is no difference other than they have paid CA to 'certify' their cat. That being said, I've never seen a smog shop check the numbers on a cat, either on my cars or my 2004 PW. If it passes OBDII, which it does if there is no check engine light and you haven't recently cleared codes, and it passes visual, then you are good. Of course if the emissions sticker under the hood, says the original equipment is a 49 state cat... I'm not sure. You might have to go through the DMV to get a modification waiver to bring it into compliance.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #12
Site Team

Under the federal Clean Air Act, the emissions systems of all vehicles must be maintained in the same configuration under which the vehicle was originally certified. Any modifications are illegal unless they themselves have been certified, which is expensive and difficult, and therefore rare.

"49 state" vehicles can be registered as used cars in CA once they have 7,500 miles on them.

I don't know what a "CA-compliant CAT" is.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
Silver Member

FWIW Ten years ago purchased a 1998 Roadtrek 190 in Oregon. Had no problem with smog test in California.

Great photo of your potential purchase. I like the lines of the soon to be classic class B motorhomes.
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #14

Thumbs up class B

nice looking unit. good luck!
cruisin america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #15
Bronze Member

A California-cat is basically a catalytic convertor that the company has gone through the process of certifying in CA.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/aftermarket-catalytic-converters
The California Bureau of Air Resources can offer certification for engine modifications. I've never done it, but I'm sure it's a bureaucratic (it's even in the name) nightmare.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote