Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #1

Default Cell booster

Hi all
We have been thinking of adding a cell booster (Sure Call or WeBoost) to our 2004 PW XL TS. Installation might be challenging because the roof is fibreglass and we can’t afford to add much height to the camper or storage will be impossible.

The camper has a Wineguard tv antenna which can be raised up and down. I thought it might be possible to use that for mounting a booster. Or maybe a whip antenna mounted to a rear door? We’d like to be able to use the booster while travelling as well as parked.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Strider1
Strider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have bought a few Wilson amplifier cell-boosters for work (WeBoost manufacturer) and they are great. You should give them a call and get them to spec out what you need. It does seem that you will want an Omni directional antenna since you will be moving. We just did our 3 floor office building with 2 repeaters per floor all tied in together. The gold plated windows block a lot of signal...
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My Weboost unit with the short 3” magnetic mount roof antenna works well both traveling and stationary. I would buy it again. We have had many times where we went from no usable internet to good access after we turn it on. It runs a little warm and probably has a moderate electrical draw.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

Default Booster

You could also mount a pair of high gain direction yagi antennas on the tv mast for when you are parked. Two are needed at 90 degree angle for a MIMo setup.
andrewtschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I have bought a few Wilson amplifier cell-boosters for work (WeBoost manufacturer) . . .
On the other hand, when our rather expensive Wilson cell repeater/amplifier failed, they refused to service it . . . "buy a new one," we were told.

We're done with companies that don't support what they manufacture.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We have a WeBoost. They are pretty much a standard on ARVs. I don’t know how you can tell if they are working or not.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #7

I have mounting brackets connected to hood of van. You can then affix a compatible high gain trucker style antenna to your amplifier! I have fiberglass body on my van as well. Alternatively if can try attaching to bumper or spare tire carrier... Or even the hitch
LimboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We have a WeBoost. They are pretty much a standard on ARVs. I don’t know how you can tell if they are working or not.
If you can locate the powered unit you can unplug the power adapter and check the cell phone signal. Our WeBoost Drive X RV Signal Booster provides a 1-2 bar boost.
RogerY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Check out https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ before you buy anything. They have reviews of all the latest cellular equipment and plans. They also talk about which equipment might serve your needs. They only sell consulting services no products, but what they have for free is very good.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #10

Thanks Everyone!
Strider 1
Old 08-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #11

Hi Folks
Just a heads up….
So i got a WeBoost Reach Rv and had the external antenna mounted on the Wineguard tv antenna that can be raised and lowered from in camper. (. 2004 PW XL TS). However, unit comes ONLY with AC power source. In order to use unit, it requires and AC outlet, which in my camper, only operates when on shore power or generator.
I contacted Weboost about the misleading information (that it can be used while driving or parked) and they finally agreed to send either a hard wire kit or a cig lighter adapter plug but they are out of stock for weeks.
Very disappointing after spending so much money!
Old 08-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I'm surprised they wouldn't include a DC connector. Your fastest remedy would be to use an inverter.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote