Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #21
Bronze Member

agreed....that link shows a 2WD front bearing & I'd worked with a 4WD unit.....learned the hard way to install the best stuff I could get my hands on (Eaton comes to mind....not sure) & buy a 30 (something) MM hex socket....
gpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Go View Post
gpdc, these assemblies come as a unit you bolt on, no torqueing of the actual wheel bearings necessary, at least by the installer! Take a look at the link that hbn7hj provided: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There would be a torque on the assembly, which bolts in from the rear through the knuckle. Unever or wrong length bolts there can distort the housing around the inside bearing sometimes, causing early failures. I would also assume the wheel lugnut tightening might distort the outside edge of the housing and affect the outer bearing, as wheel as rotor runout.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #23
Bronze Member

RAUSCS: PEI destination would be great.....and as of today, Canada is still closed....
Thats a really great trip you've outlined.....go for it!...do the ferry thing on the way back south to see the Old Sow whirlpool....Bay of Funday has 47' tides average, 53' max....check out the "bore" effect in Moncton....crazy....it's where the world record surfing distance was set....+20 miles...Confederation Bridge was built onshore & moved ou to the Islan I dunno how....oh man, I wish we could go back there tomarrow......
BOOSTER: your comment 'bout clean, non rusty mating surfaces is right on the money...methinks the basic problem with early bearing failures originates right around the corner from the Kung Flu source.........
Old 09-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Hey GPDC, thanks for the ideas. I'd never heard of the Sow Whirlpool, sounds like really something to see.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:15 AM   #25
Bronze Member

rauscs: think of the Bay of Fundy as a giant bathtub held in Paul Bunyans (? sp)arms....back & forth, back & forth....repeat.....if you're a racer, there's a small paved track near the north shore due north of the bridge & its incredible the racing....MAKE SURE you get some of their blueberry vodka ......our next trip up that way will take us to Cape Brenton N&E of Halifax...warmest river, so they say...
we're in CNY....exploration device is a '98 RT V200
Old 09-27-2021, 01:24 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Though this is a discussion of early front bearing failure, I wanted to add this posting on lubricating the bearings for longer life. Yes, these bearings are "sealed" and not designed for lubricating, but they can be lubricated. Numerous web postings site significantly longer bearing life when lubricated. I have lubricated mine twice now (at 60k and 125k miles), and I am at 130,000 miles on my 2006 210P with the wrong offset Roadtrek aluminum wheels. I do it when I am doing a major brake servicing: lube caliper pins, flush brake fluid, rotate tire, etc.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ings-2305.html
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #27
Gold Member

FWIW

My 02 Chevy owners manual states:

Short Trip Driving:
Every 15000 miles repack Front Wheel Bearings

Long Trip Driving:
Every 30000 miles repack Front Wheel Bearings

If you have an earlier model van and have not read or do not have the owners manual you should be aware of this.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:15 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
FWIW

My 02 Chevy owners manual states:

Short Trip Driving:
Every 15000 miles repack Front Wheel Bearings

Long Trip Driving:
Every 30000 miles repack Front Wheel Bearings

If you have an earlier model van and have not read or do not have the owners manual you should be aware of this.

You have a previous generation Chevy that has the repackable wheel bearings in the front. The next generation is 2003 up has unit bearings in hubs that are not repackable but can, sorta, be greased.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You have a previous generation Chevy that has the repackable wheel bearings in the front. The next generation is 2003 up has unit bearings in hubs that are not repackable but can, sorta, be greased.
Correct 2002 and earlier. I should have been more clear on that. Also, there are two zerks that somewhat “hidden” so to speak. One is on the passenger side front inner fender wall that is for the idler arm shaft and the other on the driver side up in the front frame pretty well hidden by a hose and wire loom. I believe this is for the steering shaft or pitman arm. I may be off on the nomenclature of these two items.

When I greased these two items watery thin grease eventually started coming out telling me that they had been neglected for a long time. Hopefully not much damage done.

Just mentioning this as I am not certain if this is specific to 02 and earlier models as well. I do not have access to the factory service manuals to confirm.
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:32 PM   #30
Gold Member

Replacing everything in the front end of the O2 CRT190P. Will be using AC Delco OE quality on the rotor/hubs and bearings. I'll watch things closely on the next adventure and report
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote