Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #21
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescook View Post
Are any of these built on a cut-away-chassis, like the one in the photo that I linked to?

Are they still called B+ despite the small size?

Size is not the determinant.

Class B = built from a panel van

Class C = built from a cut away chassis

These narrow Class C are trying to catch on. There were quite a few at last year's Hershey show. You'd never know, it might be a hit.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #22
Platinum Member

One of the big factors in buying a B not C for me is the all Mercedes engineered steel van body that has believable structural integrity. Almost learned this the hard way when we blew an inside rear tire on a class C in about 1990. Went back to the RV side to see clear through to the ground where the tire tread blew through the 1/4” plywood wheel well built by the RV company. Very unsafe construction.

But we also love the mobility and been able to compromise on the size with 2 adults and one dog. Not for everybody, but it works for us.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
One of the big factors in buying a B not C for me is the all Mercedes engineered steel van body that has believable structural integrity. Almost learned this the hard way when we blew an inside rear tire on a class C in about 1990. Went back to the RV side to see clear through to the ground where the tire tread blew through the 1/4” plywood wheel well built by the RV company. Very unsafe construction.

But we also love the mobility and been able to compromise on the size with 2 adults and one dog. Not for everybody, but it works for us.

This sentence says it right here...

One of the big factors in buying a B not C for me is the all Mercedes engineered steel van body that has believable structural integrity.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #24
Platinum Member

European makers have a number of those narrow class "C"s. Even Airstream is charging nearly a quarter of a million dollars for one. It would be interesting to see those not just in the "Cadillac" market, but in the "Chevy" market as well. However, unless they "C"s have a fiberglass or automotive-grade, one piece metal roof, I wouldn't bother buying one, because the rubber roofs are always a loose twig away from leaking.

I have seen one custom class "C" handle the tire blowout by using Line-X on the wheel well. However, I agree with you 100% about safety. If I see a class "C" in a wreck, oftentimes the whole body of the vehicle is off the chassis. Class "A"s as well, unless you buy one that originally came as a bus and built to automotive tolerances.

If I wind up in a rollover in a "B", I know what will happen, because the "B" chassis has been in crash tests, and I can pick up the video via YouTube. A class "C" may completely collapse, similar with an "A". Even "C"s with fiberglass roofs may not be strong enough to handle the weight of the vehicle if it is upside down.

tl;dr, class "B"s are the best around for safety, barring some of the high end Prevost or Newell diesel pushers.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default This is great to know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
European makers have a number of those narrow class "C"s. Even Airstream is charging nearly a quarter of a million dollars for one. It would be interesting to see those not just in the "Cadillac" market, but in the "Chevy" market as well. However, unless they "C"s have a fiberglass or automotive-grade, one piece metal roof, I wouldn't bother buying one, because the rubber roofs are always a loose twig away from leaking.

I have seen one custom class "C" handle the tire blowout by using Line-X on the wheel well. However, I agree with you 100% about safety. If I see a class "C" in a wreck, oftentimes the whole body of the vehicle is off the chassis. Class "A"s as well, unless you buy one that originally came as a bus and built to automotive tolerances.

If I wind up in a rollover in a "B", I know what will happen, because the "B" chassis has been in crash tests, and I can pick up the video via YouTube. A class "C" may completely collapse, similar with an "A". Even "C"s with fiberglass roofs may not be strong enough to handle the weight of the vehicle if it is upside down.

tl;dr, class "B"s are the best around for safety, barring some of the high end Prevost or Newell diesel pushers.
class "B"s are the best around for safety, barring some of the high end Prevost or Newell diesel pushers.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I think that everyone has to realize that in a hard crash or especially a rollover, it isn't the structure that is going to get you in most cases. It will be the flying debris inside the body that causes you the bodily harm. I would guess that none of the interior, heavy, parts would pass any kind of impact testing without breaking loose, and none of the stuff inside them is ever locked down.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think that everyone has to realize that in a hard crash or especially a rollover, it isn't the structure that is going to get you in most cases. It will be the flying debris inside the body that causes you the bodily harm. I would guess that none of the interior, heavy, parts would pass any kind of impact testing without breaking loose, and none of the stuff inside them is ever locked down.
I think Roadtrek crash tests their models to make sure that everything they have added doesn't wind up in the driver's/passenger's lap. You are right about the debris. There are some interesting/horrific crash test videos of class "C"s on YouTube worth looking at.

Of course, there is one other thing not mentioned which is a plus for class "B"s. Even though the rig has a high initial cost, both the cost of ownership, and the cost per mile is inexpensive. An Euro van with 16-19 MPG isn't bad, all things considered. Tires are relatively cheap compared to truck tires.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think Roadtrek crash tests their models ............
Give us a link to some info if you can.

I don't see any NHTSA ratings on either the base vans or completed Class B's on their site: https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings . My guess is that there's no requirement that they be tested.

I have seen the photo of rollover testing of a Roadtrek with a fiberglass roof. The vehicle did not rollover and passed their test.

It is disturbing to watch videos of what happens to the interiors of RVs in probably relatively low speed crashes.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think Roadtrek crash tests their models . . .

I doubt Roadtrek has done any crash test.
If they have done any, they would put it on youtube for sure.
(unless the test result is not good)

The only factory crash test I can find on Youtube is by Winnebago.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Give us a link to some info if you can.

I don't see any NHTSA ratings on either the base vans or completed Class B's on their site: https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings . My guess is that there's no requirement that they be tested.

I have seen the photo of rollover testing of a Roadtrek with a fiberglass roof. The vehicle did not rollover and passed their test.

It is disturbing to watch videos of what happens to the interiors of RVs in probably relatively low speed crashes.
NHTSA never tests anything but manufacturer's stock vehicles, and I agree all bets are off when a vehicle is heavily modified. In the case of RV's, modifications to structure (Roadtrek lowers floors and moves gas tank filler location), the added weight, and the great potential for flying debris and even flying structures adds many unknowns (except we can assure they are not good for passengers). However, "You pays yer money and you takes yer chances" as the saying goes.

When looking into a class B on the Chevy Express chassis, I was glad to see Roadtrek did some crash testing after their modifications. The most recent test of the Chevy Express on NHTSA's website was for '2010 (the year before mine). I was pleased to see a 5-Star rating for driver & passenger.

See pic-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash Test NHTSA 2010 - last yr rated.JPG (128.2 KB, 11 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #31
Platinum Member

All the pix I have seen of the Roadtrek rollover testing were old Dodges.

Has anyone seen anything from them on testing other models? I have looked and not found anything, so I wonder if the have done anything on the Chevies.

I would guess there would be no need to test the non modified roof models, as the OEMs do that, and I don't think that Roadtrk had anything in the Dodges when they tested them. It appeared they were only testing roof integrity.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #32
Platinum Member

I think a lot of the testing often referred to comes from the 1999 model year brochure: http://www.roadtrek.com/wp-content/u...model_year.pdf
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #33

Default Had a gasser A

Paid for storage when not using the A, enjoyed it but my b (99 great west classic supreme) is so much easier to use and parks in driveway when not in use.
Guzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
Paid for storage when not using the A, enjoyed it but my b (99 great west classic supreme) is so much easier to use and parks in driveway when not in use.
Off topic...........but you must be riding one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (232.4 KB, 18 views)

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #35
Silver Member

Default class B fits for 2 people

We had a tent trailer, then did tent camping so we could pull our boat.

If we were going with anything that doesn't have the flexibility of a B, we'd get another trailer. Kids are grown - only looking to accommodate 2 people.

The biggest compromise for us remains the fact that our B cannot pull our boat - a 20' bow rider that weighs about 3700 lbs dry with the trailer. We have had to give up on camping with our boat. Our solution is to rent a cottage if we want to take the boat. Nicer with the boat tied to a dock anyway.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Off topic...........but you must be riding one of these?
Great bike, almost got one but the dealer was just too far. Did a very short eight on the dealer parking lot, well, next life for me unless getting one with a side car.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post
We had a tent trailer, then did tent camping so we could pull our boat.

If we were going with anything that doesn't have the flexibility of a B, we'd get another trailer. Kids are grown - only looking to accommodate 2 people.

The biggest compromise for us remains the fact that our B cannot pull our boat - a 20' bow rider that weighs about 3700 lbs dry with the trailer. We have had to give up on camping with our boat. Our solution is to rent a cottage if we want to take the boat. Nicer with the boat tied to a dock anyway.
Sounds like you need a B with more tow capability. What vehicle do you have?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #38

When we were deciding I really wanted a B, but lack of storage outside was an issue then, so decided on a 30' Lazy Daze class C. Loved it purchased it with 40k miles on it and sold her with just under 200k miles. We currently "camp" and travel in our 2002 Dodge Conversion Van. Hope to find a B or B+ in the future when we can be on the road more often than we can now.
disccopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #39
Silver Member

Yes... We had a small trailer when the kids were with us. We have another smallish trailer now. We don't need lots of room so we always felt like B people. We bought our B a couple of years ago and love it. Problem is we have a couple of cats who really like to camp and we haven't figured out how to take them in the B.

So we have both - the trailer for longer trips with the cats - and the B for shorter trips when we leave the cats at home.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Default Did you ever consider anything other than a class B?

I feel in love with vans back in the 70’s. We brought out first van from a utility auction. My husband customized the interior with wall to floor shag carpeting & a bed & couch. It slept 5. We brought a class C because we were camping with 3 teens & 2 adults. I also brought a high top conversion van.
Life happened, hubby got sick, kids moved out so sold everything. I decided to get back into camping again. A class C was to big for just me & the dog. I found the perfect B. I wanted it to sleep 4. So I can take my grandson with me. I also wanted a toilet & shower. It’s perfect for me when my Jeep is in the shop as I can do my errands with my campervan.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote