Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #41

Default Different size RVs

I’ve owned and camped in every different category of MH, RV, trailer, tent, etc. over the years. When my husband passed, I bought an older class B van and loved the ease of driving, parking, and having every convenience. But the overhead bed was just not tall enough for anyone to sleep in and when the sofa was made into a bed there was no floor space forcing people to crawl over to get to the bathroom.

I bought a 10 year old Winnebago View B+ this season and feel like I hit the jackpot! I now have the room to bring a girlfriend or grandkids along because it’s basically a class C but only 7’ wide so it drives more like a van than a boxy class C. I camp a lot in the Colorado mountains so traveling on narrow, winding roads happens a lot. I knew I would never be comfortable driving a boxyClass C so I had ruled out everything but a Class B van. I had no idea they made such an easy to drive RV with ample room!
nnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:07 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyCappello View Post
I feel in love with vans back in the 70’s. We brought out first van from a utility auction. My husband customized the interior with wall to floor shag carpeting & a bed & couch. It slept 5. We brought a class C because we were camping with 3 teens & 2 adults. I also brought a high top conversion van.
Life happened, hubby got sick, kids moved out so sold everything. I decided to get back into camping again. A class C was to big for just me & the dog. I found the perfect B. I wanted it to sleep 4. So I can take my grandson with me. I also wanted a toilet & shower. It’s perfect for me when my Jeep is in the shop as I can do my errands with my campervan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnewman View Post
I’ve owned and camped in every different category of MH, RV, trailer, tent, etc. over the years. When my husband passed, I bought an older class B van and loved the ease of driving, parking, and having every convenience. But the overhead bed was just not tall enough for anyone to sleep in and when the sofa was made into a bed there was no floor space forcing people to crawl over to get to the bathroom.

I bought a 10 year old Winnebago View B+ this season and feel like I hit the jackpot! I now have the room to bring a girlfriend or grandkids along because it’s basically a class C but only 7’ wide so it drives more like a van than a boxy class C. I camp a lot in the Colorado mountains so traveling on narrow, winding roads happens a lot. I knew I would never be comfortable driving a boxyClass C so I had ruled out everything but a Class B van. I had no idea they made such an easy to drive RV with ample room!
The only perfect RV is the one that's perfect for you.

Sounds like both of you have your perfect RV. Enjoy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #43

My husband and I continue to look.

We want an RV because I have food allergies, and eating in a restaurant is right out.

The one I would like is a Pleasureway XLTD.

The problem is that Class B fridges are not large enough to hold my food and the raw food for the two dogs.

We have to find room for my mobility scooters, plus 4 dog crates and their gear. Plus a dog bath (I can't bend over to do it on the ground.)

There's also the issue of where to put a cage for the 14 pet rats that is out of reach of the dogs. Rats can be noisy at night.

And my husband wants to be able to fit in a jog-a-dog for the dogs.

I figured out how to put an ARB Elements freezer on the back of a Pleasureway or other B+.

My scoot MAY fold up enough to go in one of the external storage bay.

Where the jog-a-dog and the rats are going, I do NOT know.

I designed my own version of an XLTD, but made about 4' longer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone who builds custom B+ of the type I'd like -- and I probably couldn't afford a custom one anyway.

We also looked at some Newmars, but decided that the slightly larger Newmars really are not as efficiently designed as smaller ones. To get what we need would take a combination of the Newmar Canyon Star 3911 and the 3927. The 3911 is handicapped accessible, and the 3927 has a "garage," which, air conditioned, would make a great place to put the job-a-dog, the dog bath, my scooter, and the rats. But they don't make a 3927 with an Accessible bath and wheelchair lift. And I'm sure that on a vehicle that big, the fuel economy would be the pits.
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #44
Platinum Member

I very briefly considered a wide-body B+ but I quickly realized that only a true class B would suit my needs. My main reasoning is that I don't want to be limited on where I can go. I'm also pretty minimalist so I don't like to take a bunch f stuff with me when I travel. I find it just weighs me down. To me, the best travel isn't about having all the comforts of home with you, it's about having new experiences that aren't tied to your stuff.

I don't even own a RV yet, but I've done so much research over the last couple years that I pretty much know exactly what I want at this point. I'm just waiting to save up enough cash to make my purchase because I don't do debt.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
My husband and I continue to look.

We want an RV because I have food allergies, and eating in a restaurant is right out.

The one I would like is a Pleasureway XLTD.

The problem is that Class B fridges are not large enough to hold my food and the raw food for the two dogs.

We have to find room for my mobility scooters, plus 4 dog crates and their gear. Plus a dog bath (I can't bend over to do it on the ground.)

There's also the issue of where to put a cage for the 14 pet rats that is out of reach of the dogs. Rats can be noisy at night.

And my husband wants to be able to fit in a jog-a-dog for the dogs.

I figured out how to put an ARB Elements freezer on the back of a Pleasureway or other B+.

My scoot MAY fold up enough to go in one of the external storage bay.

Where the jog-a-dog and the rats are going, I do NOT know.

I designed my own version of an XLTD, but made about 4' longer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone who builds custom B+ of the type I'd like -- and I probably couldn't afford a custom one anyway.

We also looked at some Newmars, but decided that the slightly larger Newmars really are not as efficiently designed as smaller ones. To get what we need would take a combination of the Newmar Canyon Star 3911 and the 3927. The 3911 is handicapped accessible, and the 3927 has a "garage," which, air conditioned, would make a great place to put the job-a-dog, the dog bath, my scooter, and the rats. But they don't make a 3927 with an Accessible bath and wheelchair lift. And I'm sure that on a vehicle that big, the fuel economy would be the pits.
Unfortunately. it doesn't sound like you're ready for the road. Can't imagine all those pets and it's the first time I've heard of taking rats in an RV. Forget the mess and smells (we've had rats as pets when our kids were small and kept their cages very clean, still, the smell is unavoidable and in the small confines of a motor home it would be worse). Then, there's the problem of how do you leave pets in the RV for even an hour and keep them safe from overheating in summer? You'd require full hookups 100% of the time to ensure their safety. To me, that's not the freedom you need on the road.

Add your mobility needs and your looking at something very large. A "b" won't work for you and if a much larger custom class c is beyond your budget, how could you afford a Newmar?

Be realistic about what is best for you and your pets and those needs may be mutually exclusive in some regards. I wish you luck.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
I very briefly considered a wide-body B+ but I quickly realized that only a true class B would suit my needs. My main reasoning is that I don't want to be limited on where I can go. I'm also pretty minimalist so I don't like to take a bunch f stuff with me when I travel. I find it just weighs me down. To me, the best travel isn't about having all the comforts of home with you, it's about having new experiences that aren't tied to your stuff.

I don't even own a RV yet, but I've done so much research over the last couple years that I pretty much know exactly what I want at this point. I'm just waiting to save up enough cash to make my purchase because I don't do debt.
If you're a true minimalist, then a class B should definitely work for you. It's the only rig that truly lets you go anywhere, park anywhere. We are not what you'd call minimalists, yet our 20' class B works for us and our 70 lb. dog. Because he is my wife's service dog, he goes with us at all times so we don't have the problem of leaving him in it unattended (except for an occasional dash for food or restaurant take-out). We seek places he can go with us, and if he can't go, we don't go.

Unfortunately the current demand is keeping RV prices high, even used ones. Keep saving and looking and you'll find one when the time is right. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #47

Of course RV type is a very personal decision that is likely best begun with your intended usage. We had a travel trailer years ago when the kids were small and traveling with us...worked well. Several years ago we sold our high-end (Coach House) Class B+ or C- and opted for a truck camper and haven't looked back. The versatility is exceptional, and for a couple it works out great. We opted for a non-slide, hard slide model with a 4 wheel drive truck that can get us to most off-road locations if we desire. I highly recommend folks include truck campers in their RV decision calculus...
Keithmaryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithmaryq View Post
Of course RV type is a very personal decision that is likely best begun with your intended usage. We had a travel trailer years ago when the kids were small and traveling with us...worked well. Several years ago we sold our high-end (Coach House) Class B+ or C- and opted for a truck camper and haven't looked back. The versatility is exceptional, and for a couple it works out great. We opted for a non-slide, hard slide model with a 4 wheel drive truck that can get us to most off-road locations if we desire. I highly recommend folks include truck campers in their RV decision calculus...
Glad you're happy with it. Picture would help us envision your rig.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Glad you're happy with it. Picture would help us envision your rig.
Yes pic please.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #50
Silver Member

My medium to long-term goal is to own a Class B, but I decided to start with a well-equipped fiberglass-sided travel trailer (20' overall length, 7' width, 3088 lbs unloaded) to see if the RV lifestyle fit my needs, before investing in a B van. It didn't take long for me to decide that the answer was a resounding YES! My TT will be going up for sale at the end of the year. My daily driver/tow vehicle will be downsized to a 4 cylinder passenger car or light crossover, which will get much better fuel mileage for daily use and cost about half the price.

While really enjoying the agility and convenience of my small TT, a Class B should be a further improvement in the RVing experience. Moving around often as I do on my RV trips, constantly hitching and unhitching every few days is a real pain.

Currently, my top choices for my 6'2" frame are the Winnebago Travato 59K/KL and the Roadtrek Zion. The PW Lexor FL, the Coachman CrossFit 22C and the new Fleetwood IROK FSL also interest me although I'd prefer not to deal with the noise and maintenance of a rear-mounted Onan generator.

Any thoughts from the Class B hive-mind would be welcome.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Love my Class B...big advantage is the fact you can drive it and park it anywhere 99% of the time! Plus I avg. about 16-17 mpg!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
My medium to long-term goal is to own a Class B, but I decided to start with a well-equipped fiberglass-sided travel trailer (20' overall length, 7' width, 3088 lbs unloaded) to see if the RV lifestyle fit my needs, before investing in a B van. It didn't take long for me to decide that the answer was a resounding YES! My TT will be going up for sale at the end of the year. My daily driver/tow vehicle will be downsized to a 4 cylinder passenger car or light crossover, which will get much better fuel mileage for daily use and cost about half the price.

While really enjoying the agility and convenience of my small TT, a Class B should be a further improvement in the RVing experience. Moving around often as I do on my RV trips, constantly hitching and unhitching every few days is a real pain.

Currently, my top choices for my 6'2" frame are the Winnebago Travato 59K/KL and the Roadtrek Zion. The PW Lexor FL, the Coachman CrossFit 22C and the new Fleetwood IROK FSL also interest me although I'd prefer not to deal with the noise and maintenance of a rear-mounted Onan generator.

Any thoughts from the Class B hive-mind would be welcome.
Making a short list of your "must have" features will help you eliminate some models and help you focus on the several you would want.

In my case, I decided to purchase a used model '2011 & up. I'm also 6'2" so I made a minimum 76" bed a mandatory feature. That eliminated short Sprinter's and side-ways sleepers of any model.

I also eliminated ones with aisle/non-enclosed baths and kept my search under 21' length so I could park it in my driveway. I strongly preferred a compressor fridge and gas rather than diesel.

These may not be your preferences, and are just an example of how to start to narrow down the wide-wide world of class b's. The really hard part is shopping for the best deal. Unfortunately, the popularity of RV's in general have sent prices sky high (even for used models). But you'll find your RV, just have patience.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #53
Platinum Member

A 76" sideways bed is possible in the PM, even with insulation in the wall.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
A 76" sideways bed is possible in the PM, even with insulation in the wall.
I'll believe that when you show me a spec sheet that claims it. If you did in your build, you should sell your idea to Hymer, Pleasure Way, and Winnebago because a side to side sleeper is the most efficient use of bed space in a class b. Apparently they haven't figured it out. The Revel doesn't count because they widened the window area and raised the bed height.

These specs show 75.6" width at beltline.
https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/promaster/specs
Old 08-18-2018, 12:59 AM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's interesting you mentioned truck campers because that's where I started researching before ever considering a class B. Initially, I was dead set on a truck camper because I already own a 4x4 truck and I like the idea of being able to go off-road and camp further away from civilization. The ability to go pretty much anywhere I want is an essential aspect of RVing to me. Also, the cost advantage compared to a B van is massive. However, once I really got into it, I realized that the top heavy nature of truck campers makes driving on uneven terrain pretty dangerous. It's much worse than a high roof van. There are popup campers available, but they have their own set of compromises... they're not insulated well and are unusable in the down position, but perhaps the biggest compromise with a truck camper, and the thing that ultimately turned me off of them, is the fact that they stick out like a sore thumb, making it impossible to stealth camp in urban areas and this is something I plan to do often.

That said, while not right for everyone, I believe a truck camper is a great relatively low cost way to get into camping, especially if you already own a capable enough truck.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #56

[/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 08-18-2018, 01:09 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
[/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
Wow! That is one of the nicest and most spacious looking truck bed units I've seen. You must get a lot of looks traveling in it.

Do you lift and store it when not traveling, or do you leave it on the truck?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #58

...and as you can see from the pic I posted of my truck camper rig -- it certainly isn't stealthy...

However, we chose a relatively large model (without slide outs) to meet our desires -- Queen bed always available, shower and small tub, 3-burner stove, oven, a/c, furnace, microwave, dinette, on-board generator, etc. But, there are much smaller truck campers (and less expensive) available that don't require a 1-ton truck to carry them. I highly recommend the on-line Truck Camper Magazine for very good and honest information. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Although a bit top heavy, we believe our rig is pretty nimble compared to Class A or C motor homes, certainly more so than most RVs being towed...and we love the versatility of easily dismounting the truck camper to have a stand-alone truck. We haven't yet, but look forward to towing our boat to enjoy new fishing locations.

As I pointed out earlier...choosing a RV is really a personal choice -- so far, this one's been great for us.

Keith
Old 08-18-2018, 01:26 AM   #59

We often leave it on the truck as we don't use it as a daily drive...but taking it off really isn't difficult -- and the more often you load it back on the quicker it gets.

BTW, there are also truck campers with 1 to 4 slide outs that make them incredibly spacious (and heavy)...some have faux (electric heat) fire places, king beds, sofas, and two recliners -- all in the back of a large pickup which is just crazy when you first see one.

We chose a non-slide model to keep the weight down (3,520 pounds) and to keep the systems more simple. Also, Northern Lite is one of only two truck camper manufacturers that use a two-piece fiberglass shell which eliminates leaks, adds strength, and is easily usable in freezing temps. If you want to see interior pics check them out on this site:

https://www.northern-lite.com/

Keith
Old 08-18-2018, 02:01 AM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
BTW, there are also truck campers with 1 to 4 slide outs that make them incredibly spacious (and heavy)...some have faux (electric heat) fire places, king beds, sofas, and two recliners -- all in the back of a large pickup which is just crazy when you first see one.Keith
Slide outs on truck campers. I did not know that.