Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Domestic refrigerator/freezer

Has anyone replaced their refrigerator/freezer in a Roadtrek 200? Was it difficult/expensive?
Linda Whinnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Yes. Do you have the smaller under counter unit or the larger one that is in the Versatile. I replaced the larger one with a bit of help from a neighbor. It was just under $700 about 5 years ago. I'm sure it's quite a bit more now.

Thought about a replacement cooling unit, whether gas/electric or a 12 volt compressor? Or a replacement 12 volt fridge?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanks, Steve! I have the 200 Popular with the fridge under the counter. I was concerned about how to get it through the doorway and whether I would need to remove a door on the fridge or the Roadtrek or take it through the front door. How did you get yours out and the new Dometic fridge in?
Old 10-31-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

For my under counter Dometic (RM2310) I had to remove door anyways to get at the flange screws. It does give you some more clearance. I went through side door on Dodge 3500 chassis. Close but doable. I had one person helping with the lifting and guidance.

What model are you replacing your fridge with?

glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:36 PM   #5

I currently have a Dometic brand. My Roadtrek is on a Chevy 3500 chassis. I haven’t shopped for a new refrigerator yet. I figured I would need to replace it with the same brand. Any recommendations?
Old 10-31-2022, 11:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Does it work at all and is it beyond repair?
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Replacing refrigerators has been discussed quite a bit on this forum. As SteveJ implied above, a lot depends on what you want/need. Some like the idea of going to an electric compressor fridge. You don't need propane. Just runs off of shore power or your batteries. But to be able to do this, you need enough battery capacity and the ability to charge the batteries.

Do you know the model # of your Dometic? If you do, you can find spec information which would give you the size of opening that you have in the cabinetry. Regardless of if you decide to go with a compressor fridge, it would help you decide on a possible replacement. Somewhere out there there is a Dometic chart that lists what model(s) Dometic makes that replace, size-wise, their old ones.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Cross your fingers when it comes to dimensions. I replaced the fridge in our 200 Versatile with a Norcold that was allegedly identical. It was actually about 1/2" taller. It fit but I had to slightly rebuild the top of the opening.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I have a pretty good thread about our Dometic replacement in your 2006 RT Adventurous (Sprinter). It was expensive, about $2500 including dealer installation. But that is because we chose to stay with a 3-way since we boondock a lot. We also upgraded the model to one with removeable freezer compartment (that give a us option of having about 20% more fridge space instead of fridge/freezer).

Here is our thread...some good info there.
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post123425
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote