Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #101
Platinum Member

My Dometic 3-way fridge was acting up when on propane on most recent trip. The propane would start and then go blinking mode (not working). I am wondering if this was related to being level. I have gone by the notion that if its level enough to sleep comfortably, the propane mode on the fridge should be OK. But on this trip we parked and slept in sister's house so I did not level it up.

Is out of level tolerance in all axes or is it more sensitive laterally or longitudinally?

Since getting home to my level driveway, propane seems to be working fine. I am cautiously optimistic, as I do not relish the expense or disruption of a fridge changeout. I would also be inclined to stay with a 3-way, since there is no surplus space to expand battery capacity.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Full timer for over a year. Got 2 chargeable fans, one in the fridge and one charging. Changed them out about 2-3 times a day. Fridge ice cold, even in 100 degree weather
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Default Permanent inside fridge cooling fan

I found a very compact, quiet set of fin fans that are hardwired into 12v and attach directly to the fins with appropriate space for circulation. Now at $50 this is not much more expensive than some of the battery fans, but they are set and forget. The panel has an off switch.

I mounted it upside down to put the switch at the top- less chance that something bumps into it and turns it off. It is held to the fins by 4 alligator clips.

I took the power from the furnace 12v (same place as I got power for the external fans). The power goes down the condensate drain to the back of the fridge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089BWZ3PX...p_mob_ap_share
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1201201211_HDR.jpg (155.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1201201212_HDR.jpg (182.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #104
Platinum Member

My Dometic continues to behave erratically on propane, sometimes working, sometimes not. I did purchase this really neat 12v inside fridge fan system and it definitely helps, and draws very little current. It attaches to the fins with alligator clips and has an on/off switch. Takes up very little space. I installed it upside down so the switch would be at the top instead of the bottom where it would have a greater chance of being bumped off by shifting food.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089BWZ3PX/

I finally gave up and ordered a new Dometic 3-way. I appreciate the discussion on low-draw compressor fridges, but I do value the ability to run on propane, and do not have the space to up my battery capacity to support multiple days even on the low draw compressor models. I went with a RM8501 because it is very close to perfect size match. Another feature I like is the freezer compartment on this unit can be removed. We rarely travel with frozen food anyway and even a little more fridge space is a plus. I ran the power from the back up the interior drain line.

I will have the shop add a 12v line to a terminal block to power my interior and exterior aux fans, which I will install on the new fridge. I originally borrowed that power from the furnace power line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1201201211_HDR.jpg (155.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1201201212_HDR.jpg (182.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 01:07 AM   #105
Platinum Member

Default New Fridge

I got the RV back and I really like the new Dometic 3 way. I wound up with model RM8505, which unlike the 8501, has the option to automatically flip between 120v, 12v, and propane (120v when available, 12v when engine is running, propane when stationary and no 110). It also locks propane option out for 15 minutes after engine is turned off to avoid flame ignition while refueling.

Other features I like:

1. Exact fit to the space previously occupied by the RM7401, no vehicle mods needed.

2. Equipped with an exterior air circulation fan on back. I am also retaining the forced draft fan arrangement previously described.

3. Freezer compartment snaps out to make the fridge bigger.

4. Much nicer shelving and door compartments.

5. Sturdy locking mechanism that can be disabled if you're going to be stationary for a while, and also has a standoff position that latches the door slightly ajar to prevent mildew when its shut off.

6. Audible alarm if door left open.

Downside, it was expensive, but worth it to have retained the flexibility of having propane. Will update regarding performance after next voyage.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:43 AM   #106
Platinum Member

Update after several trips...the new fridge works well. I used with freezer compartment a few times but appreciate the larger "fridge only" configuration. The automatic switching is ok but is not to my priorities...I prefer to run on 12v when rolling and its programming calls for propane when available. No bigee, the control panel is easy to use manually on the front. Also there is not separate locking on the door, just a very solid latch that as I said can be switched to a slightly open mode when not in use. Good inside lighting.

The performance of the unit is very consistent across the 3 modes, so less dinkering with the temp setting. So even though I have augmented it with 4 computer fans on the back and 2 inside, their draw is small.

Regarding the aux fans, I had the shop install a 12v hot terminal block behind the fridge from the actual 12v feed to the fridge to power the add-ons off the same circuit.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #107
Platinum Member

The downside of 3-way refrigerators is if you run it on 12v while underway and fail to switch on 120v shore power or propane when stopped you can run down an AGM battery of less than 200ah and deplete quickly. I did that a few times just stopping for lunch or mid-way touring in under an hour. You have to be really disciplined to not forget to switch over. One way Compressor refrigerators running on 12v use way less energy and perform better in my experience. However, I have lithium ion batteries with greater amp hour capacity than most Class Bs so I can boondock 3 days off grid without worry.

On my current van I downsized my refrigerator with an Isotherm Freeline 115 liter capacity. I think that is about 4.6 cf vs 6.8 cf I had before. Less beer but still retain a freezer that will hold a half gallon ice cream carton or 4 frozen pizzas. I could have put in a larger refrigerator but valued a 17” high notched space for storage under more.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #108
Bronze Member

Totally agree, we installed GoPower Elite, 360 watts, 2000 watt inverter, 4 AGM batteries. When the dometic died we just put in a standard mini-fridge. The dometic was 3.0 cubic feet, the mini-fridge in same space is 4.6 cubic feet. The solar and battery bank have no problem running the fridge.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #109
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think everyone needs to remember that propane is not an all or nothing type of thing. We hear about driving with the propane on, for and against, regularly, but in the real world that is ONLY because of the absorption frig. Nothing else needs to run while you are driving so you just leave the propane off until you need heat, hot water, cooktop, or gas grille. We have camped this way for years, and I would guess our propane gets turned on maybe 2% of the time we are away from home and only when parked. The compressor frig allows that very nice option and safety way of use,
There's the argument for a 3-way...I use 12v going down the road and leave the propane valve on unless I am travelling where it must be closed. I can switch it between modes on the fridge console. I can use automatic switching but need to override the priority to run as I described above. The engine alternator more than handles the 12v load and since getting new fridge the 12v performance is just fine. But it will suck the coach batteries down if I leave it more than a couple of hours. The new fridge has a safety feature - it senses when the engine is turned off and switches to 12v for 15 minutes so that there is no open flame ignition while you are refueling.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #110
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
There's the argument for a 3-way...I use 12v going down the road and leave the propane valve on unless I am travelling where it must be closed. I can switch it between modes on the fridge console. I can use automatic switching but need to override the priority to run as I described above. The engine alternator more than handles the 12v load and since getting new fridge the 12v performance is just fine. But it will suck the coach batteries down if I leave it more than a couple of hours. The new fridge has a safety feature - it senses when the engine is turned off and switches to 12v for 15 minutes so that there is no open flame ignition while you are refueling.

Does it go back to propane after 15 minutes?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #111
Platinum Member

Yes. I think I would've made it 30 minute lockout,to allow for a run to the head first!
Old 07-23-2023, 05:11 PM   #112
Platinum Member

I replaced my original Dometic an my Roadtrek Adventurous (Sprinter) with a new Dometic 3-way. I appreciate the discussion on low-draw compressor fridges, but I do value the ability to run on propane, and do not have the space to up my battery capacity to support multiple days even on the low draw compressor models. I went with a RM8501 because it is very close to perfect size match. Another feature I like is the freezer compartment on this unit can be removed. We rarely travel with frozen food anyway and even a little more fridge space is a plus. I ran the power from the back up the interior drain line.

I had the shop add a 12v line to a terminal block to power my interior and exterior aux fans, which I will install on the new fridge. I originally borrowed fan power from the furnace power line.

Check out the thread at Dometic-3-way-fridge-10436.html. Lots of good discussion there.