Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #21

Default Little help with selling.

This was my issue as well. So I decided not to buy a revel, but to build my own on the same chassis. If you’d like to know how I got it to work to carry two bikes inside with a queen size bed and a shower, cooktop and sink , All without flares, let me know.
Rhino 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Well, the lowest hassle/least odds of being swindled way is to sell it back to a dealer.

Of course you'll get more from a private party. In that case, list it on RVTrader.com and Craigslist, etc. Then for the final signing-over of the title, stipulate that you will meet them at a branch of your bank and require a cashiers' check, which you can have your bank verify and deposit on the spot.
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #23

I recently sold my Rialta using craigslist and RVTrader. I was advised to accept a cashier’s check issued by a bank, and then to call the bank to verify the amount of the check before turning over the title and keys. It seemed to work OK.
colleencarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #24

Accept only a cashier’s check issued by a bank; then call the bank to verify the validity and amount of the check before turning over the title and keys.
colleencarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwi View Post
I have 2019 Winnebago Revel. Which works just fine. But really isn't for me (bicycles need to be on a rack on the back, I really want the bicycles inside the van. Lesson learned.)

Given what dealers seem to think they'll get for a new one, it would seem I should get an OK price for it.

So, what's the lowest hassle/least odds of being swindled out of the payment mechanism to sell such a vehicle?

Thoughts on this?
As others have commented, RV Trader and Craigslist are good places to list your Revel.

One thing to consider if you are thinking of purchasing something else are the sales tax considerations. I think in Washington state you pay the difference between a trade-in and a new “like kind” so that can mean savings of many of thousands of dollars which may or may not off-set the lower price a dealer wants to give you versus selling yourself.

Also, in the Summer of 2018 when I was purchasing a camper van I wanted a Revel with its 4X4 but when I figured out the garage was useless for bikes because the bikes had to be removed to put the bed all the way down I opted for a Travato K instead. Very happy with that decision.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #26

For the folks making various suggestions about clever bike racks - a number of these suggestions are really quite sensible, but they miss some key points (for me.)

(Which I'll expand on here mostly hoping to be of use to some future person who finds this thread and wonders "why did this guy sell a perfectly good Revel???")

1. A large part of being a bicycle race van is the ability to stand up *inside* and have a lot of space for working on the bikes, and their pieces, inside, out of the rain, wind, and sometimes snow - we're talking MTB and cyclocross here. The awning doesn't help since most races there's no space to open it, some places the easy way in/out is through the rear doors. The Revel, like any RV, has an interior full of "house" - thus doesn't do so well at this.

2. It's super important to be able to get in and out of the back of van without obstruction. By far the best solution to this is the Owl rack, which attaches to the hinges and swings with the door. The problem with it is that it's always there on the back of the van.

1-2 -> in short, I didn't really want an RV, a cargo van is a better answer for me. I tried it, really. Lesson learned.

3. I sometimes stop in sketchy places, and no bike lock in the world will make me feel secure - but having the bikes inside a generic looking van, with the windows covered, giving no hint of being anything other than a used plumbers van with nothing worth steeling inside, is a feature. For that matter, not having an awning (which I never use), solar panels, graphics, etc. is also a feature.

3 -> in short, I want the bikes, tools, etc. inside a cargo van. I didn't really want an RV. It was an experiment.

One more thing for perspective. Most folks here go on longish trips and do things like overnight in their RVs a bunch of nights a year. That's sort of the point.

I didn't, and won't. I have overnighted in the revel about 5 times. It works well - nice bed, heat, nice lights, handy toilet. That's just all the races that justified it. Then 2020 came. But the wonderful sleeping for those 5 nights doesn't offset the other 360 days a year where I really would have preferred to be using a cargo van.

*IF* what you want is a very small RV that you can stuff into all manner of places, that attracts very little attention compared to larger RVs, buy a Revel. In fact, buy mine.

*IF* what you really want is an adaptation of a cargo van, dont' buy an RV, you will be unhappy.
bryanwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #27

Just say Rhino 1's reply - and I will do something simpler - my stuff will be removable so the van can be the shop cargo van most of the time.

But "why did this guy buy a Revel at all?" - because I was able to buy one, and get it going in time for the first race of 2019. I wasn't going to get my van upgrades done in time.

By the end of 2019, I knew I wanted a different arrangement, and began researching more on the web about how to do it. Then 2020 came and, well.....

How will my build be different from the typical "vanlife" build?

1. Everything will be removable in a few minutes, installable in a few minutes. Because it's the shop cargo van as well as the bike race van (I've owned it in parallel with the Revel the whole time.)

2. Far less stuff. Heat. Bed. Porta-potti. Hand wash. Racks and hooks for bikes, parts, tools, clothes. No cooking (I don't cook anyway), no fridge (I never use it), much simpler lighting (though the lighting in the Revel is v-e-r-y n-i-c-e so I will copy some of it.) Some kind of simple charger for phone, watch, etc. (Another thing the Revel does v-e-r-y well.)
bryanwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Have you though about getting a Lets-go-aero carrier. Works for us. https://letsgoaero.com/gearspace-car...er-light-gray/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C33247D3-1F90-4D0B-84FB-560065B2AD9E.jpeg (119.2 KB, 2 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Methinks...
Old 12-16-2020, 12:10 AM   #30
Gold Member

Quote:
For the folks making various suggestions about clever bike racks - a number of these suggestions are really quite sensible, but they miss some key points (for me.)

(Which I'll expand on here mostly hoping to be of use to some future person who finds this thread and wonders "why did this guy sell a perfectly good Revel???")

1. A large part of being a bicycle race van is the ability to stand up *inside* and have a lot of space for working on the bikes, and their pieces, inside, out of the rain, wind, and sometimes snow - we're talking MTB and cyclocross here. The awning doesn't help since most races there's no space to open it, some places the easy way in/out is through the rear doors. The Revel, like any RV, has an interior full of "house" - thus doesn't do so well at this.

2. It's super important to be able to get in and out of the back of van without obstruction. By far the best solution to this is the Owl rack, which attaches to the hinges and swings with the door. The problem with it is that it's always there on the back of the van.

For what its worth, here is my 2 cents (or less). When I saw the Travato 59G, one of the first things that came to mind is what a nice spot for bike. Even more, if you remove the murphy bed seems you would have what you are needing?

That model is out of my budget but I think its my favorite floor plan because of the rear "garage."

Here is one in TX - https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...59G-5014685350
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Quote:
I have 2019 Winnebago Revel. Which works just fine. But really isn't for me (bicycles need to be on a rack on the back, I really want the bicycles inside the van. Lesson learned.)

Given what dealers seem to think they'll get for a new one, it would seem I should get an OK price for it.

So, what's the lowest hassle/least odds of being swindled out of the payment mechanism to sell such a vehicle?

Thoughts on this?
You should be able to get within $5-10K of purchase price in this market, or better depending on what you paid.... We sold our 2018 and did great to buy a Winn Solis 59PX. Reason was same to have bikes inside in bad weather, but still be able to use rear bed.... with L track system and bike mounts it works great, plus with the pop top we can sleep 4 easy and do so with no issues even at temps to 10* with Truma system.

You can get a 59PX with AT tire and wheels for list price of $125-130K and purchase for around $90-95K. We have had it for 5 months and love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8711.jpg (397.0 KB, 4 views)
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Under the current circumstances with deman far outstripping supply I would post on Craigslist and RVtrader. I would also weigh the $5,000 or more cost for sales tax on buying another RV against what else you could do to resolve your concerns over having the bicycles stored outside the RV.

For more compact storage there are some very nice folding bicycles available. Only downside is that they tend to weight more than 25 lbs.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote