Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #1

Default Help Macerator Nor Gravity working

We have a 2006 Roadtrek 210P, the macerator is not working and when we try gravity by pulling the black or gray levers - nothing! How can we get our tanks emptied and try to get a new macerator pump? What could the potential problems be, that pulling the lever(s) to try gravity dump does not work? We took the hose out of the holding box to help gravity, but did nothing. We also checked the fuse - no problem there. Getting service is like a 2 month wait - Ugh!! Help!

On another matter a rock hit the driver side roof skylight window (one of the three skylight windows - signature Roadtrek look), and shattered it. Any suggestions on where to get the window replaced?
dchristaortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristaortiz View Post
We have a 2006 Roadtrek 210P, the macerator is not working and when we try gravity by pulling the black or gray levers - nothing! How can we get our tanks emptied and try to get a new macerator pump? What could the potential problems be, that pulling the lever(s) to try gravity dump does not work? We took the hose out of the holding box to help gravity, but did nothing. We also checked the fuse - no problem there. Getting service is like a 2 month wait - Ugh!! Help!

On another matter a rock hit the driver side roof skylight window (one of the three skylight windows - signature Roadtrek look), and shattered it. Any suggestions on where to get the window replaced?

There is no gravity dump option on the 210, just the macerator, so if it fails you can't dump in any normal way. You may have a cleanout connection in the tee from the valves to the pump, but in 2006 probably not. Look under the van from the passenger side about at the entry door to the coach and find the sheet metal cover over the pump and valves. If it has the cleanout, you should be able to see a square headed plastic plug about 2" in diameter. It will be in a notch in the tank that is right by it. Messy job to drain into buckets or a drive over drain.

If no cleanout, all you can do is shut the valves and disconnect the connections to the pump and catch the mess that is in the piping after the valves. Most people hire the pump replacement for good reason.

There is quite a bit of information on the forum about adding an emergency gravity dump system, which is usually a DIY job and quite a bit of work.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
There is no gravity dump option on the 210, just the macerator, so if it fails you can't dump in any normal way. You may have a cleanout connection in the tee from the valves to the pump, but in 2006 probably not. Look under the van from the passenger side about at the entry door to the coach and find the sheet metal cover over the pump and valves. If it has the cleanout, you should be able to see a square headed plastic plug about 2" in diameter. It will be in a notch in the tank that is right by it. Messy job to drain into buckets or a drive over drain.

If no cleanout, all you can do is shut the valves and disconnect the connections to the pump and catch the mess that is in the piping after the valves. Most people hire the pump replacement for good reason.

There is quite a bit of information on the forum about adding an emergency gravity dump system, which is usually a DIY job and quite a bit of work.
Did Roadtrek fuse the macerator in the 12V distribution panel on the 210P?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I've replaced similar "flat" non-curved glass with plexiglass, same thickness

easy to cut to shape with a rotozip/dremel or jigsaw.

install into same rubber seal

You'll never worry about it breaking again

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Did Roadtrek fuse the macerator in the 12V distribution panel on the 210P?

That is a good question, and I would assume it is on one of the fuses but it is not marked as such, at least as I remember. We have never blown a fuse, but also have never had a motor failure or jam that would cause it blow one either.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
Silver Member

"Did Roadtrek fuse the macerator in the 12V distribution panel on the 210P ?"

Yes. The macerator is a 15amp fuse on the fuse panel up by the control panel. Mine is marked on a 2007V.

Definately start by checking all the 15 amp fuses, BTW, a 20 amp will work, but it is probably not recommended unless it gets you out of as jam.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
"Did Roadtrek fuse the macerator in the 12V distribution panel on the 210P ?"

Yes. The macerator is a 15amp fuse on the fuse panel up by the control panel. Mine is marked on a 2007V.

Definately start by checking all the 15 amp fuses, BTW, a 20 amp will work, but it is probably not recommended unless it gets you out of as jam.
jbucking/booster

Apparently the macerator is protected by a fuse in the DC distribution panel. It is also equipped with thermal protection in the motor so a 20 amp fuse shouldn't be a problem. Interestingly, Pentair indicates a 25 amp fuse is appropriate. They also indicate that the pump can be run dry for up to 20 seconds without issue.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
Bronze Member

My 05 Roadtrek had an inline macerator so everything including the kitchen sink has to pass thru the macerator.
I've seen a clean out port in the plumbing so you can dump tanks .
I replaced my macerator with a 4" gravity drain system with an attachment to use a portable Flojet Macerator.
You'll find gravity is dependable going downhill.
Uphill drains you will need a macerator.
Flojet portable macerator solved the problem for me
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristaortiz View Post

I blew the fuse to my macerator one time after taking a shower on a rainy day (lots of moisture). It was a 15A auto blade type fuse and you should have a diagram on the inside of your fuse panel cover.
BasicBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
Silver Member

We had a macerator fail at the worst possible time on a previously-owned Winnebago-made Class C that we owned and we took it to a shop (much more pleasant and THAT I'll pay the cost for) and they replaced the macerator with a regular dump valve (gravity NEVER fails!)

Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
We had a macerator fail at the worst possible time on a previously-owned Winnebago-made Class C that we owned and we took it to a shop (much more pleasant and THAT I'll pay the cost for) and they replaced the macerator with a regular dump valve (gravity NEVER fails!)

Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida

We, and some others here, have never had a macerator failure, but the didn't stop a few of us from converting our systems to "dual dumping" systems that have both methods, macerator and gravity for backup if needed.

Ours has both built in, no portable macerato to install each time, so normal macerator use like it was from Roadtrek on our 07 190P. To use the gravity setup, all we do is hook up the slinky and pull one extra valve handle, so basically and normal gravity dump.

Makes for no worrying about a macerator failure, while still having the macerator convenience.

There are several discussions on the forum about adding dual dump capabilities.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I did Gravity Dump and have never regretted the decision
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
Gold Member

I would test for power at the motor (battery switch on, macerator switch closed).

If present, I would use the knob to try and manually turn the macerator to free up a jam and/or position the brushes on a different spot on the armature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1632.jpg (195.3 KB, 6 views)
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote