Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
There is a sewer manhole in the street, 10' from the end of my driveway, just the correct distance from the curb to park between the curb and the manhole which has two holes used to remove the cover. By grinding down the diameter of the nozzle on my hose, it fits in the holes.
Yes, I made sure it is a sewer manhole.
There is no way that the man hole plate is the barrier between the sewer system and the public/atmosphere. You are not dumping into the piping system but are dumping your sewage into a working space from which the utility personnel access valves or clean out points in the system. Very bad...
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #22

Sorry, didn’t see your next post. Thanks anyway.
Layton100@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Wrong o, I was watching when the house was built, and saw the sewer pipe being connected to the sewer. As well as, the city cleans out the sewer pipes and they access the sewer from the same manhole I used.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:16 PM   #24

Default Macerator w/Septic System

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
I'm curious if anyone with a septic system has done this? It seems the volume/rate of the discharge might be a problem?
Discharge is no problem into our septic cleanout using the macerator pump. 2 septic tanks underground, each 500 gallons.
TXLeadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
I'm curious if anyone with a septic system has done this? It seems the volume/rate of the discharge might be a problem?
Major problem would be if you use chemical treatment containing formaldehyde such as this one which would kill all bacteria in your septic system - https://www.campingworld.com/aqua-ke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

California outlaw formaldehyde treatment.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #26
Silver Member

Hey GeorgeRa, thanks for that bit of info. I would have never thought to consider that!
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I have dumped into my septic system for years and had no ill effects on the viability of the system. I suspect the ratio of the black tank gallons produced are so small in relationship to the volume of the septic tank (hundreds of gallons) that the infrequent dilution makes it a non issue. This is a B forum and Bs have small black tanks. Some, tiny.

Use of household cleaning products have the same potential, but again: the ratio. PLUS, the daily human input into the system recharges the anaerobic bacterial processes.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #28
Silver Member

More good info, thanks Doneworking! We are currently building out a ranch, and the septic will be really for the RV until we get the barns, house, etc in place. Since that's the case I'll be sure to monitor what I use in the black tank while at the ranch.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Brian, I use the original formula additive and it has, at least for me, never been a problem. I have tried more modern and environmentally forgiving additives, but in a B with small space, man I just don't want any odor and my experience has been nothing works as well as the original products.

In your situation, you would be wise to use a less aggressive product just as you said, because your effluent to chemical ratio would be higher because the only input will B from the B until you build the house.

In the last forty-two years we have had two homes, both with septic systems. If you take care of them and have adequate lateral lines and keep them biologically balanced naturally, they work great. We had our first house with septic pumped out only once and that was when we sold it after twenty years of ownership. The septic guy told me it didn't need pumping out and that there were virtually no residual gunk in the tank. He told me he knew of one septic system on a farm near here that was over fifty years old and had never needed pumping.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:05 AM   #30
Platinum Member

I had direct experience with formaldehyde black treatment in our septic system, it took days to recover. Certainly, the extent of damage is proportional to final concentration of formaldehyde in a septic system.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...wastewater.pdf
Old 01-09-2021, 03:31 AM   #31
Platinum Member

We now use fabric softener and a little laundry detergent in our black tank. This should be safe in any septic system and is even cheaper than the commercial black tank treatments.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:36 AM   #32
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Major problem would be if you use chemical treatment containing formaldehyde such as this one which would kill all bacteria in your septic system - https://www.campingworld.com/aqua-ke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

California outlaw formaldehyde treatment.
Are you saying formaldehyde treatments are illegal in California, or that it's illegal to dump them into a septic system in California? Because I've seen that exact six pack of Aqua-Kem on the shelf at multiple RV stores and Wal-Marts in California.
JDBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:43 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
Are you saying formaldehyde treatments are illegal in California, or that it's illegal to dump them into a septic system in California? Because I've seen that exact six pack of Aqua-Kem on the shelf at multiple RV stores and Wal-Marts in California.
I think you can dump anything to your own septic system, with exception of a few like for example nuclear waste.

I think the discussion about banning formaldehyde in California started in 2010, but this is the most current info - https://www.rvtravel.com/california-...tank-chemical/

https://rvbusiness.com/california-bi...dehyde-debate/
Old 01-09-2021, 05:56 AM   #34
Bronze Member

Interesting, and thanks for the info. Looks like I'm still seeing the formaldehyde products in CA because the ban doesn't go into effect until 2022. Guess I'll have to start looking into the "green" alternatives.
JDBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #35
Gold Member

What do you think of using the sewer cleanout's cousin, the sink cleanout (with macerator)?

Advantage at my place [1] No need to install a sewer cleanout (I don't have one) [2] Its about 30-40' closer than the sewer cleanout would be

Disadvantage: Its currently inside my home and about a 4' rise from driveway. I would get another one spliced in accessible from outside and closer to ground. I am in a mobile home and placement would be behind skirt, or just sticking out of it.

Here is a photo. It seems I should just be able to shove the macerator hose down the pipe The sink and trap are to the right. The downpipe connects to the main line and eventually to sewer out.

[not sure why forum rotates photo. correct view is 90 degree clockwise. See https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqeIgBl1WBFMhNR9yMy66U6u_QdaaA]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210321_123822.jpg (105.5 KB, 5 views)
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
There is no way that the man hole plate is the barrier between the sewer system and the public/atmosphere. You are not dumping into the piping system but are dumping your sewage into a working space from which the utility personnel access valves or clean out points in the system. Very bad...
Actually it is.
My cousin installed sewer extensions for the City of Colo Spgs.
The sewer manhole is a part of the active wet-flow of the sewer.
Using it as a dump point, though probably mandated against, is not factually a problem.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Good if you are lower. My question would be what is the diameter of the clean out piping, and how far is it until it hits full size sewage piping? I gave about a 10 foot sloped run of 2 1/2" direct to the 6" line out of the house. Can't go anywhere but down. If there is a backup downstream of where you connect you could be sending black tank contents up into your kitchen sink. If you have a disposal on that sink the potential for clogs in the future is higher.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
Good if you are lower. My question would be what is the diameter of the clean out piping, and how far is it until it hits full size sewage piping? I gave about a 10 foot sloped run of 2 1/2" direct to the 6" line out of the house. Can't go anywhere but down. If there is a backup downstream of where you connect you could be sending black tank contents up into your kitchen sink. If you have a disposal on that sink the potential for clogs in the future is higher.
For sure. I too would be very reluctant to use the sink clean-out tap.

Plumbing codes require a clean out in the "major stack".
This is the large section of the in-house line that all "branches" dump into.
I would find that threaded plug (usually 4" dia) and pump into it
Old 03-23-2021, 12:02 AM   #39
Gold Member

In response to the above 3 comments.

The run is about 30 ft with a 4ft drop. Pipe is 2.5" and is lower than the sink's trap.

I would test with garden hose and lots of pressure before trying black tank.

Anyway, I've got a sewer guy coming over tomorrow to check out my place and make suggestions and provide quotes.

Worst-case scenario: I can always run the hose deep into one of my toilets. I'll be traveling solo; weekends only for a few more months so how bad can it get haha
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote