Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Home Dump

While shopping for van and exploring logistics I found two dump stations in my Los Angeles neighborhood. One is at a Union 76 gas station ($20) and another at an Elks Lodge ($24 donation - includes overnight hookup, members only)

But what about hooking into your own home sewer? Has anyone adapted city sewer access like this. And how long can a macerator hose be?

HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team

There is very likely a sewer cleanout somewhere in your yard. Find it, unscrew the top, and dump away. Lots of us do this.

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have 27' of pipe which reaches from my van parking space to the clean out - elevation gives enough pitch to make gravity flow

The same water used to flush tanks, also flushes the pipe, which breaks down to 3 easily stored sections
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It is 96 feet from my front curb to my sewer clean out. I bought a 100 foot 3/4 inch hose at Tractor Supply years ago for about sixty bucks. Most residential hoses are 5/8 inch ID.

I can easily pump from the curb through the length of the hose into the clean out. Two years ago, I dug a shallow trench from the curb to the clean out and buried a one inch pvc pipe from the curb to the clean out. At the curb, I installed one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-0-in-L-...ve-Box/1060283

I ran the pipe into the box and attached an appropriate connection for the macerator hose discharge. I dug down at the sewer clean out, drilled a hole into that vertical pipe just below the surface and plumbed the pvc direct into the clean out pipe.

I back filled the trench complete with original sod and in a couple of months the entire project was invisible. Since there is a slight down hill slope from the curb to the sewer clean out pipe, the whole thing is self draining and just several inches below the grass surface.

Problem solved! No more dump fees. Total cost of the project was a sore back and about fifty bucks. I could have just buried the Tractor Supply hose and accomplished the same thing, but I wanted a one inch line if I was going to make it permanent.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Awhile back, we were doing an addition to a vacation home that involved digging up some outdoor sewer lines. I had the plumber install an extra cleanout right next to the driveway. Probably added around $50 to the bill.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
Gold Member

Great. I have a mobile home (24x60) and the main sewer line comes out at the skirt near the end of my 3-car car port and turns down into the ground.

However, there is no cleanout tap. But it would be easy to install one near the exit hole in skirt. I will need about 75 feet of hose (car port is about 8-8.5 feet high)

This stuff is good to know. Gives an extra couple points to the black tank debate when comparing to cassette and composite systems.

This 2011 imagery shows my home with what appears to be a class b rv size vehicle in my pre-carport area. The star marks the egress of main sewer line. I'll definitely have one installed when the time comes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-01-01_11-23-44.jpg (88.0 KB, 28 views)
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:44 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I bought a portable macerator pump and a 3/4" hose. I can dump our tanks with this to our septic system which is about 30 yards from my driveway. The best part of this pump is that I can hook up the garden hose to the water inlet of the pump and flush out the tanks thoroughly. I probably fill and empty the tanks 4-5 times every time I use it to get them clean. I don't even use campground dump stations for short trips anymore because I can quickly do a much better job at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550...9558506&sr=8-5
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Will a portable macerator pump work in conjunction with one that is built-in? Our van has the gray tank on the passenger side, and the black tank on the driver side. The black tank is just gravity drain, but the gray has a macerator pump to get the waste water up over the driveline to the passenger side. It empties into the same plumbing and comes out through the same waste valve (there is only one valve).

I would be interested in trying something like that Flojet system, but not sure what would happen if the built in pump was pumping water faster than the portable one.

To dump at home I would need something like this.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I use this portable macerator pump with a clear 90 degree adapter (see below) which makes it easier to connect. It also though allow me to see what is happening so I can shut off the pump when it runs dry and the tank is empty.

The side hose water connection has a valve that I can adjust to keep some water flowing so the pump doesn't run dry. I would think you could use it with an existing built in macerator pump as long as you made sure they don't pump dry.

This portable macerator pump seems pretty strong. I am sure I could pump more than the 30 yards that I use. I have a 12 volt battery for my boat sitting in my garage that I use to power it although have debated putting in a 12 volt connector in my van right by the tank dump area.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39857-R...9613738&sr=8-2
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #10
Platinum Member

There is a sewer manhole in the street, 10' from the end of my driveway, just the correct distance from the curb to park between the curb and the manhole which has two holes used to remove the cover. By grinding down the diameter of the nozzle on my hose, it fits in the holes.
Yes, I made sure it is a sewer manhole.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:10 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
There is a sewer manhole in the street, 10' from the end of my driveway, just the correct distance from the curb to park between the curb and the manhole which has two holes used to remove the cover. By grinding down the diameter of the nozzle on my hose, it fits in the holes.
Yes, but did you make sure that it was a SANITARY sewer and not a storm sewer?
Old 01-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I immediate thought and question also, Avanti.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Yep, I did.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
Platinum Member

To empty my holding tanks I purchased a low profile blue boy tank (one sold as working with tent trailers). It fits nicely in the limited space below my tank drain outlet. After dumping into it, I wheel it over to the sewer cleanout and drain into that. This is a workable solution for me.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #15
hyc

After I bought my 2010, 170V, I went into the crawl space of the house and add a connection to the existing sewer line then extend it to the exterior wall with ABS inlet pipes and a cap. The RT has macerator pump so the higher elevation at the inlet was not a problem. I park the RT about 15' away from the inlet and RT's sewer hose is about 30" lower than the inlet. Never have any problem dump the tanks.
hyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I had a clean out (the white cap) about 15 ft from the driveway, and for a while had a couple of lengths of PVC to use it. Last year I ran an underground connection up to the edge of the driveway (the gray cap) so I don't have to mess with the temp rig. This extended run is 2 1/2" since I have a macerating dump system. If you have a gravity system you should use 4".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0107211330_HDR.jpg (635.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0107211330.jpg (467.0 KB, 16 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #17
Gold Member

Default Home Sewer dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
While shopping for van and exploring logistics I found two dump stations in my Los Angeles neighborhood. One is at a Union 76 gas station ($20) and another at an Elks Lodge ($24 donation - includes overnight hookup, members only)

But what about hooking into your own home sewer? Has anyone adapted city sewer access like this. And how long can a macerator hose be?

I have a Class B travato and on our street in Florida they have the clean outs like the photos below or in the other comment. I pull up close and dump my black nd grey water, then add some bleach and hose it down. No problem since it is a good size so good luck. PS Pilot and Flying J gas truck stops have dumps and with a Good Sam membership it should be not charge plus you get .5 cents off a gallon. Here in Florida we pay 2.05 a gallon. Take that California. LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Normally Sanitary Sewer manhole lids are solid. They don't want ground water runoff to enter, creates extra operating costs. Also the Sanitary Sewer Utility will highly frown on private individuals dumping into their manholes.

On the other hand if you know it is a Sanitary Sewer (and not a storm sewer as a previous Posters mentioned) and are discreet when you dump...
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #19
Silver Member

I'm curious if anyone with a septic system has done this? It seems the volume/rate of the discharge might be a problem?
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post

I have a macerator in my Roadtrek any have used it to discharge into a bucket then into our home toilet when our local RV dump station is frozen over in the winter. No problem controlling the flow compared to a gravity system.
Ross Waters is offline   Reply With Quote