Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 AM   #161
Platinum Member

The Westfalia bed is some slick engineering but you need to know that it is for one very short person or a child.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:07 AM   #162
Platinum Member

As a nightcap!

From the RT group:
An encouraging reaction to the interior design of the AKTIV.
Hymer's design might finally influence a change in the dated interiors of Roadtreks. That's very good news! The EHG will probably initiate that badly needed modernisation of RT.

We will see if there will be enough "progressive" customers like this one to initiate the change.

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #163
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
The Westfalia bed is some slick engineering but you need to know that it is for one very short person or a child.
Yes I guess it is short. They are now offering a crosswise bed for the front.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #164
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
And that front dinette with the sliding screen is magical. We don't have a TV but if you position it just over the dinette seats you get a perfect view from the best seats in the house. I sometimes use it as mobile office/man cave, feet up on the dinette seats. You have to try it to understand the potential of that space.
I would never have any use for a dinette. I've never even eaten at my dining room table at home. And I would never be carrying more than one other person.

What is needed are options. An optional dinette for those who want one... and the ability to exchange it out for something needed or wanted for others.

Its existence in every Hymer unit shown on that website means that I would be one of those who would never buy one.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #165
Platinum Member

I think there is a very good reason to continue to have two very distinct brand identities and design characteristics for Roadtrek and Hymer. It is seems clear to me that for the foreseeable future there is no advantage to try to make either one more like the other in terms of van floorplan designs. Continue evolving the floorplans of each brand to adress the customer preferences of two distinct markets. On the Roadtrek side get the build quality up to Hymer levels and add some new interior materials options for those customers who are looking for something beyond their dark colored traditional look. On the Hymer side for North America don't jump too fast to make their vans more appealing to the market here until you really get a good reading on the market for your vans. This initial Aktiv seems to have a very reasonable set of updates and adds the Roadtrek technology options to move it ahead in a significant way versus its European version. The floorplan that Mumkin would desire seems to fit in with an evolution of the current Roadtrek designs rather than the Hymer designs where it would be a larger change in direction.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #166
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I would never have any use for a dinette. I've never even eaten at my dining room table at home. And I would never be carrying more than one other person.

What is needed are options. An optional dinette for those who want one... and the ability to exchange it out for something needed or wanted for others.

Its existence in every Hymer unit shown on that website means that I would be one of those who would never buy one.
That's usually the case with companies with high volume production. You don't get a lot of different options for layouts.

Safari Condo offers an alternative to the front dinette with storage and a table that retracts on it's new Sprinter layout. But they are small, they can manage to change the production line.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

They were inspired by the Knaus [unfortunately not part of the Hymer groug] Box-Star layout.

You also have this innovative "wedge" layout by Possl.

OK, now I have to go to work!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #167
Platinum Member

Quote:

So where do you eat at home if not using the dining room table?

Where would you eat when in an RV?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #168
Platinum Member

Quote:

I agree that the dinette wouldn't be for me. But even worse, the seats on the dinette are straight up and down and don't recline at all. I get a sore back just looking at them. I would never buy a B without a decent reclining place to sit other than the drivers and passengers seat up front.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #169
Platinum Member

I've yet to find a layout I like better than what I've got in my K. I'd rather have open-ness and light above all other things. That's one reason I like the huge skylight in the Hymer. Rather have that then a solar panel.

You need a bigger table if you don't have any counter space in the kitchen. If you have more counter space, then a smaller table will do. I'm not hosting dinner parties in the van. The flip up tables are more than adequate for light meals or using the laptop.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #170
Platinum Member

I think that it is different when you are travelling as a couple. Sometimes it's nice to eat facing each other. So one person at swivelled driver seat and one in the forward facing dinette seat. I would think that Zion owners sitting at an angle in the front sharing the front table would be cramped. The flip up table for the swivelled passenger seat in the Travato K is perfect for one person. I don't think the driver seat swivelled works as well with the extension. I can't see that person working on a laptop being very comfortable.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #171
Platinum Member

Interesting discussion here on layouts. Obviously, the needs of singles differ from couples, “weekenders” differ from “cruisers”. Elsewhere on this forum was a thread “should boatbuilders get into the RV business”, discussing what boatbuilders do differently, construction, etc.

Some boatbuilders, specifically Beneteau in their Oceanis 35/38 series, now offer 3 different layouts (+options). The “DaySailer”, the “Weekender” and the “Cruiser”. Same boat, same engine, same sails and rigging, etc. but the number of berths and layout differs. Daysailer has one aft berth, one forward berth, open layout, less cabinets. Weekender adds another berth, but opened up forward berth and Cruiser adds forward bulkhead for privacy and more storage. Everything is very modular. 

Check it out at Oceanis 35 / Oceanis / Sailboats - BENETEAU AMERICA Also built in Marion, SC.

I could imagine an option for an RV, like one with the dinette layout, where the dinette can be swapped out for another counter, with swing out table and another fridge.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #172
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
So where do you eat at home if not using the dining room table?

Where would you eat when in an RV?
At home I eat in my recliner - with the computer in front of me... and my plate in my hand. In the RV, I do sit the computer aside, but I still hold the plate in my hand. I'm not an eater of big complicated meals... cut things up as needed before I sit down to eat it.

One of the best things about the old GWV company was that they offered 6 or 7 different floor plans in their little B's. My first is still my favorite floor plan... the side sofa... rear bath...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #173
Platinum Member

We thought we would use the front seating position and fold out table on our 07 Chevy 190P, and even made smaller, easier to get around, table top for it. But as it turns out, we don't ever seem to use it. 99% of the time we cook and eat outside, and if we grab something inside we lounge on the bed with the arm pillows we have. Using up all the space of a dinette would be a tough one for us to justify. Of course we don't use the dining room table at home either.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #174
Platinum Member

The Official Handout for the HYMER AKTIV
Phoenix RV Show - March 2016

The complete album with the specs at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

It wasn't clear if the specs on this handout, posted on FB, were correct. The EHG marketing team sent me the PDF and confirmed it was official. They will get the feedback from a couple of RV shows before the official launch of the AKTIV planned later this year. So there's room for improvements!

They will eventually update and merge gohymer.com and hymer-usa.com so the info on their websites are not up to date. Go Hymer
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #175
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
They will get the feedback from a couple of RV shows before the official launch of the AKTIV planned later this year. So there's room for improvements!
In previous RT FB post, JH responded, to question of Canadian availability, something about needing 3 months for Canadian safety certifications.

What do you think/guess timing for Aktiv hitting market and available to buy? Early Summer '16 or more like late Summer '16? or even later?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:53 AM   #176
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
In previous RT FB post, JH responded, to question of Canadian availability, something about needing 3 months for Canadian safety certifications.

What do you think/guess timing for Aktiv hitting market and available to buy? Early Summer '16 or more like late Summer '16? or even later?
It's very hard to speculate on the availability of the AKTIV when the management doesn't have a clear schedule for its production. They need time to test the vehicle but above all to restructure the company, to build the new plant and to negotiate with the dealers. And I'm sure they worry more about the new in-laws than the newborn B. Maybe they will have some AKTIVs on the lots late June but its too early to tell.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #177
Platinum Member

One big question in the rollout and timing will be if it will be done like past Roadtrek rollouts that were premature, poorly done, and with lots of problems do to lack of testing and quality checks, or will they get a hefty dose of "get it right, not fast" from Hymer?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:25 AM   #178
Platinum Member

Interesting info, they will be displaying Roadtreks and the Hymer Aktiv at the New York International Auto Show. Nice to see them expanding the visibility outside the established RV community...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #179
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Interesting discussion here on layouts. Obviously, the needs of singles differ from couples, “weekenders” differ from “cruisers”. Elsewhere on this forum was a thread “should boatbuilders get into the RV business”, discussing what boatbuilders do differently, construction, etc.

Some boatbuilders, specifically Beneteau in their Oceanis 35/38 series, now offer 3 different layouts (+options). The “DaySailer”, the “Weekender” and the “Cruiser”. Same boat, same engine, same sails and rigging, etc. but the number of berths and layout differs. Daysailer has one aft berth, one forward berth, open layout, less cabinets. Weekender adds another berth, but opened up forward berth and Cruiser adds forward bulkhead for privacy and more storage. Everything is very modular. 

Check it out at Oceanis 35 / Oceanis / Sailboats - BENETEAU AMERICA Also built in Marion, SC.

I could imagine an option for an RV, like one with the dinette layout, where the dinette can be swapped out for another counter, with swing out table and another fridge.
Bob, we have four manufacturers of towables, that also do Boats. No Motorhomes as yet
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #180
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
I think that it is different when you are travelling as a couple. Sometimes it's nice to eat facing each other. So one person at swivelled driver seat and one in the forward facing dinette seat. I would think that Zion owners sitting at an angle in the front sharing the front table would be cramped. The flip up table for the swivelled passenger seat in the Travato K is perfect for one person. I don't think the driver seat swivelled works as well with the extension. I can't see that person working on a laptop being very comfortable.
Actually it's fine. I'll often flip the drivers seat around and eat my lunch there. You are at an angle, but you have the space of the pull-out plus the kitchen counter. So plate on the pullout, laptop and drink on the counter is usually how it goes.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote