Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #381
Platinum Member

For $100K (or less) I hope WGO makes their Sprinter Adventure 4x4. Similar layout with fixed bed (granted the dinnette seems small on the WGO) built on a Sprinter with 4x4. Personally I prefer the looks and driving of the Sprinter over the Promaster chassis but opinions vary.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #382
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
The big/small question: how will the 100$K AKTIV position itself in the market vs. the RT SRT that starts at 85,306$ USD?

What else for a 15K difference?
Good questions, but not $15k difference.

First, the $100k number is not published yet. Somewhere in all the run-up publicity I remember "under $100k"

Second, you need to add things to the SRT that are "standard"in the Aktiv. TV, rear and side door screen package and underhood generator. Add those on the RT site and the SRT is then $90,532.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #383
Platinum Member

This Hymer rep lists a MSRP of $105,000 in his video.

The video is labeled "2016 Hymer Aktiv / Grand Canyon Walk Through" and was from Jan 31st, 2016.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #384
Platinum Member

Good call! If you check the videos, even as late as the June 2016 NY Auto Show, they were quoting that $105k MSRP.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I still think - for this initial push into NA market - they might keep it be that 100k barrier, say 99k. But the options will not be cheap. Just my guess.

Again, MSRP is one thing, street price is what matters.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #385
Platinum Member

Yes, marketing is always finding what customers are willing to pay, not the actual market value. That involves the dealer network put in place for the Hymer group vehicles. If they sell the RT and Hymer vehicles side by side it will be a big fight between those two Bs - AKTIV and SRT. Class C's is their real target and they might get a good share of the market if RT builds them well.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #386
Platinum Member

I hope WGO goes with the Sprinter 4x4 as well, especially under the six digit price point, just because it would fit a niche market.

After thinking about it, there is one thing that would fix the missing puzzle piece here: A MEPS alternator/inverter or similar item. I don't want to say "underhood generator" because that is a Roadtrek-specific thing, but Sportsmobile has been doing alternators to inverters to power the A/C unit in their rigs for decades, so doing something similar wouldn't be expensive, but would provide the ability to run that (as well as the electric part of the Truma furnace) anywhere. The technology isn't complicated. I was actually going to have that in my Transit van build before job stuff yanked the rug from under me. It just takes a second alternator, and a decent inverter (which is present for the stove, anyway).

Of course, WGO would have to spec the high idle feature with their OEM Sprinters, but that isn't too difficult.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #387
Platinum Member

Well, the SRT isn't coming with all those features standard is it? The solar, the engine generator, the voltrek and the 400 ah lithium pack are all options. If I'm reading it right these are all standard on the Aktiv, correct?

Both should transact at the typical Roadtrek discounting of 10-15%. Unless they can parlay the Hymer as "premium" or "limited" and not have any discounting at all. Otherwise, I'd see these two fairly close together in price if you equalize the equipment list.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 AM   #388
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Yes, marketing is always finding what customers are willing to pay, not the actual market value. That involves the dealer network put in place for the Hymer group vehicles. If they sell the RT and Hymer vehicles side by side it will be a big fight between those two Bs - AKTIV and SRT. Class C's is their real target and they might get a good share of the market if RT builds them well.
From the early articles with the Hymer executives, it was clear that their target is tag-alongs. Those are next in the pipeline and they did not mention class c's at all.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #389
Platinum Member

This is probably off topic, so moderators, move if appropriate.

Along all this sales stuff speculation, did anyone ever hear how Jim Hammil's "personal" factory direct sale turned out? There was lots of hype about it, and then it appeared almost nothing. Was the pricing good? How did they handle the on dealer lot units, etc. Did anyone get one that we know of? This was going to be showing sales folks how to sell, it was stated, so I wonder if it did, and if it fit into the Hymer way of doing things.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #390
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
This is probably off topic, so moderators, move if appropriate.

Along all this sales stuff speculation, did anyone ever hear how Jim Hammil's "personal" factory direct sale turned out? There was lots of hype about it, and then it appeared almost nothing. Was the pricing good? How did they handle the on dealer lot units, etc. Did anyone get one that we know of? This was going to be showing sales folks how to sell, it was stated, so I wonder if it did, and if it fit into the Hymer way of doing things.
ROFL!

I can't imagine Jim following thru on that. It violates franchise laws in quite a few states.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #391
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, the SRT isn't coming with all those features standard is it? The solar, the engine generator, the voltrek and the 400 ah lithium pack are all options. If I'm reading it right these are all standard on the Aktiv, correct?
As I read the brochure (look at the columns with "X" one column "standard" the other "optional", the engine generator is standard on the Aktiv.

On the Aktiv, Lithiums are options (AGM standard), Voltrek is option and solar is option.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #392
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
From the early articles with the Hymer executives, it was clear that their target is tag-alongs. Those are next in the pipeline and they did not mention class c's at all.
You are right, the trailers are easy to manufacture in volume and it was the highest on their priorities. They positioned Paul Cassidy for taking that segment of the expansion. But I hate trailers! I'm wishfully thinking that Hymer should introduce sophisticated compact class B to the NA market.

Concerning the features mentioned in the brochure of the AKTIV, BobB is right. The underhood generator is surprisingly standard. A $3,523 USD option on the SRT. I believe it's an important shift in the B market. More important than the slow evolution of Lithium storage. After Solar it should be standard on all Bs like generators were before.

I just spent a week without shore power in a wonderful site in the shade but I missed being able to quickly charge back my AGMs quietly. Lithium doesn't help if you don't have a way to replenish your battery bank.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:45 AM   #393
Platinum Member

Rather than a factory direct sale, I believe Jim was provided incentives to lower the price on units to be delivered through the regular dealer network or for units on dealers lots. Never saw any summary of his sales though...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #394
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
For $100K (or less) I hope WGO makes their Sprinter Adventure 4x4. Similar layout with fixed bed (granted the dinnette seems small on the WGO) built on a Sprinter with 4x4. Personally I prefer the looks and driving of the Sprinter over the Promaster chassis but opinions vary.
Yes, the WGO 4x4 Adventure is a great concept vehicle. Love it! An Outside Van van with an enclosed toilet!

Hymer just introduced in Germany the Hymercar on the short Sprinter See my album at: https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...64452260482188

Whether or not they will built it I like the fact that WGO is willing to venture in other markets. Although I will never buy a transverse bed van (I hate being stuck at the back of a van at night!) I think they have a lot of interesting features in that layout. Finally they are considering a contemporary interior design! It's a first in the high volume B market.

[ Will it sell? I have doubts but its great to see another major B manufacturer trying to make a living space in a 144 short Sprinter. A major challenge! See my 144 Sprinter project https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...99068833687199 ]

I did a complitaion of screen captures and photos of the WGO concept Sport camper from the great Fit Rv report on my Kampervan FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...07603536167060

Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #395
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the WGO Adventure photos. I really hope they make it. Kind of funny but on the Sprinter forums the gist is that it's for posers and just a Winnie with the same bad cabinets but with trendy finishes (white and green) instead of grandmas wood grain... They even trashed the RAM mounts as a marketing tie in... LOL. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice DIY Sprinter builds on that forum, but many of them are rough plywood style finishes and nothing my wife would be excited about camping in and she actually enjoyed half a week of torrential rain in a rented Sprinter thinking it was great for us to relax with need to go outside. . I don't have time, skills or space (down town city living) to do a DIY project or the desire to buy an Outside Van (cool but over priced IMO). Having a WGO product with shower, fridge, Truma heat and hot water and yes with the AC option sounds great to me. I am beyond the times of enjoying a week of sweat and no shower...

Anyway not fully sure on the market but I would think there would be people like me willing to buy it. The Hymer Aktiv seems to be going for the same space. I hope more enter the market and more options become available and the market grows. If WGO would build it all I need is an outdoor parking space rental (instead of garage) and I would rice that every day.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #396
Platinum Member

Posting error
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #397
Platinum Member

A new trend in Europe:
They are squeezing lengthwise beds in 6m (19' 8") vans.
Same length as the Hymer Aktiv and the Roadtrek SRT

In the new issue of Camper Vans magazine. Complete album at:
https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...10696809191066

Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #398
Platinum Member

Looks like Hymer Group NA will be selling a lightweight Eriba design travel trailer early next year manufactured in Kitchener...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...1963914962591/
Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #399
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Looks like Hymer Group NA will be selling a lightweight Eriba design travel trailer early next year manufactured in Kitchener...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...1963914962591/
Nice find. They finally reveal their towable line.

Apart from obvious functional considerations, it has a nice exterior retro look. The interior design is very Hymerish. Typical interior traditional curvy euro cabinetry. It will sell in the US.

So finally the solution to get a good sleep with an AKTIV: tow an Eriba!

I prefer the contemporary look of the Safari Condo Alto but it is heavier than the lightest of the Eribas.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #400
Platinum Member