Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Bea

Post Insurance Recommendations Please

I am moving to Florida, and need to register and insure my Winnebago Sprinter there. I currently have it insured with Progressive, but the agent I'm working with in Florida is quoting insurance with Hartford through AARP. Comparing the Hartford policy quote to the declarations page from my current Progressive policy is like apples and oranges. Anyone on here care to chime in about pros/cons of Hartford vs. Progressive? Or some other great coverage? Thanks!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Insurance is regulated at the state level, and rates are determined by your zip code, your age, and your driving record.

You will get lots of opinions of the form "I have had XXX for 60 years now and I had a claim once -- they are great". Such reports are all but useless unless the reviewer has nearly identical demographics to you.

Moreover, the "right' answer changes all the time. The marketing departments of the insurers are constantly refocussing their rates to favor one demographic or another. It's just like cell phone plans: carefully designed to steal customers from other insurers, while also making maximum profits from existing customers who don't bother to shop regularly.

You basically have two choices:
1) Shop carefully once a year or so and be prepared to change insurers on a regular basis; or
2) Pick one of the quality full-service providers (State Farm, Nationwide, etc), give them both your auto and home insurance, and stick with them.

Option #1 will save you quite a bit of money. Option #2 will give you fewer ulcers. They are both reasonable choices. Depends on what you value.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Is he quoting automotive insurance or RV insurance?
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm@atlanticbb.net View Post
Is he quoting automotive insurance or RV insurance?
Good question.
I think it is most commonly best to insure your RV with the same company you use for your regular car insurance, if that is an option.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Good question.
I think it is most commonly best to insure your RV with the same company you use for your regular car insurance, if that is an option.
The quote includes both my automobile and the Sprinter. The cost is reasonable, but I'm not sure the coverage for the RV is comparable to the current Progressive policy.
I will have to make a phone call and sort it out with the agent.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Having transferred to central FLA(Lake County, nw of Orlando) back in '06 from MN(Welch, then Hastings) it was a bit of a shock on the premium front. Zip code makes a lot of difference here.

FWIW, I have Progressive on everything here, Roadtrek, auto, motorcycle, and boat through an independent agent. She has me with someone else for homeowners.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
Gold Member

I use Progressive and they have been very good. I have an option for no charge replacement of the windshield which I really like.

Keith
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
The quote includes both my automobile and the Sprinter. The cost is reasonable, but I'm not sure the coverage for the RV is comparable to the current Progressive policy.
I will have to make a phone call and sort it out with the agent.
Why don't you call Progressive and have them refer you to agent down there?
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Insurance is regulated at the state level, and rates are determined by your zip code, your age, and your driving record.

You will get lots of opinions of the form "I have had XXX for 60 years now and I had a claim once -- they are great". Such reports are all but useless unless the reviewer has nearly identical demographics to you.

Moreover, the "right' answer changes all the time. The marketing departments of the insurers are constantly refocussing their rates to favor one demographic or another. It's just like cell phone plans: carefully designed to steal customers from other insurers, while also making maximum profits from existing customers who don't bother to shop regularly.

You basically have two choices:
1) Shop carefully once a year or so and be prepared to change insurers on a regular basis; or
2) Pick one of the quality full-service providers (State Farm, Nationwide, etc), give them both your auto and home insurance, and stick with them.

Option #1 will save you quite a bit of money. Option #2 will give you fewer ulcers. They are both reasonable choices. Depends on
PERFECTLY STATED.

For me I have used AAA, who for the most part have always been there & fixed the problem.

A couple of times though I had to have the vehicle inspected by a higher up because they don't have the audit understanding of writing off a Class B & that was before Covid.

Both times required a $13,000 claim to repair bumpers & the ground effects which to them using an ACV* (Actual Cash Value) of $25,000 doesn't reflect the true replacement value of $42-50k without all the modifications. If there are any available on the ground in California - typically on RVTrader there might be 6 only in the whole country, of similar quality , WITHOUT all the modifications.

*Book Value which I have since had the payout guaranteed at $52-55,000 with another Rider.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I have my RV with Geico, which also has my car. They have been great! I had an accident when traveling in Montana and they were super helpful and prompt with coverage.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote