Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default LP and CO alarms

Propane alarm beginning to act up. It's been 6+ yrs since I've replaced both the LP and CO alarms. When I got the RV I replaced both with OE MTI Industries Safe T Alert alarms. I didn't mind the fact that they were relatively costly but in looking at reviews on AMZ there are a lot of complaints about the CO alarm going and even showing end-of-life warnings in less than a year.

Is this the brand that most of you are using or is there a better or more cost effective type?

thx.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Call me an Idiot but I have never changed any of the Three Alarms in my rig.

I will admit to disconnecting the Smoke Detector but that is because for years I operated & worked in the New Zealand bush & then jungles all over the World - my cooking style would be aptly described as Neanderthal/Cro Magnon.

Occasionally I will get a warning from the Detector under the full time bed where the dinette is but that usually passes.

The Alarm on the wall for Carbon Monoxide has made itself heard only when in the early days I would leave a heavy electrical on unknowingly.

The Security Systems in my rig are designed to alert me if anyone is tampering with my Home.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here is what you need to replace your propane detector with. They have an end of life printed on them. They last about 6 years.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TFporKfyRiTeGg
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Call me an Idiot but I have never changed any of the Three Alarms in my rig.

I will admit to disconnecting the Smoke Detector but that is because for years I operated & worked in the New Zealand bush & then jungles all over the World - my cooking style would be aptly described as Neanderthal/Cro Magnon.

Occasionally I will get a warning from the Detector under the full time bed where the dinette is but that usually passes.

The Alarm on the wall for Carbon Monoxide has made itself heard only when in the early days I would leave a heavy electrical on unknowingly.

The Security Systems in my rig are designed to alert me if anyone is tampering with my Home.

PS. My rig was built in 2005
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I used the OE type bought from amazon

the date codes on them were good and they appear to work.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

mexdoc: If you have the Safe-T-Alert brand they are supposed to beep and then send an alternating red/green light to indicate "end-of life." My LP is
acting up without showing that, simply a flashing green. The mfg recommends vacuuming them weekly (!) which I had never done until now; before the last trip I recently made. It remained solid green the entire time.

Mike and mloganusda are in agreement with the STA brand so I'll go back to ordering what I've been using: Safe-T-Alert.

thanks, guys.

glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

My Safe-T-Alert started false alarms last year, a year before it was supposed to expire. It was a scary experience, since I had to disconnect it since I couldn't find any propane leak. Since it only had a year to go, I just bought a new one, which has worked perfectly. I bought the same brand because it seemed a lot easier to buy the same model than to worry about wiring or mounting position for a new one.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:31 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
mexdoc: If you have the Safe-T-Alert brand they are supposed to beep and then send an alternating red/green light to indicate "end-of life." My LP is
acting up without showing that, simply a flashing green. The mfg recommends vacuuming them weekly (!) which I had never done until now; before the last trip I recently made. It remained solid green the entire time.

Mike and mloganusda are in agreement with the STA brand so I'll go back to ordering what I've been using: Safe-T-Alert.

thanks, guys.

glenn
I had that issue on a fairly fresh Safe-T-Alert LP detector. I had another 12 volt supply close by so I tapped into that instead and it's been good for several months now.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote