Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Missing alternator shield

....Happy Winter everyone!...I brought out this question a few months ago but didn't get any bites so I'll try again. I think I'm missing my lower alternator shield on my 2016 Roadtrek Simplicity. Where can I pick one up so I have it ready to install once spring rolls around? By the way the nearest Roadtrek dealer is about 4 hours away. Anything after market or is it OEM? Thanks!!
HappyCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
Silver Member

Default Shield for Promaster Nations Alternator

Our 2018 Promaster (Hymer Sunlight2) Has the Nations alternator which hangs pretty low. I will assume yours is the same. The van had the OEM passenger side (plastic) shield. To accommodate the lower alternator they cut out a section of the shield and riveted in a "bowl" that made room for the alternator.

The shield AND the alternator are very prone to damage from a high curb. We bought used and the shield was damaged and where it pushed up into the alternator the wires were also scraped. I repaired the wires and spent hours fixing, repairing, reinforcing the bowl... and then -- I -- damaged it again. It now has an extra layer of aluminum flashing that I can hear rubbibg if I get too close to a curb. I will rig up a simple "curb feeler" that will make a louder noise.

I would suggest you contact Nations and ask them about the shield for their alternator. And what your options are. Possibly they supplied the original shield? I see they have a full metal shield but it's very pricey.

Let us know what you find out. --KenA

https://www.nationsstarteralternator...er-e-guard.htm
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't know anything about alternators but I do recall reading some discussions about the pros and cons of putting shields under alternators especially second alternators. The concern was there was an important cooling effect from the airflow around the alternator. Placing a metal shield below the alternator would protect the alternator but it would also remove the cooling air flow. I remember some people advising against this but I am no expert. Luckily the second alternator on my Sprinter sits high enough up that it isn't necessary.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The plastic guard is from Roadtrek, but I would check with Nations Starter in Missouri to see if they can supply it for you.

Nearly all of us with the Roadtrek second alternator have added the engine guard created by Edge Van Works. I am on a couple Roadtrek pages on FB, and no one has reported any issues with these or overheating issues of the unit. Curb wipeouts have been way too common. BTW, Ram Promaster service depts are not bothered by it either... except for a few of the shadier ones looking for extra charges.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/

https://edge-vanworks.square.site/
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:55 PM   #5
Silver Member

Default e-guard

The e-guard looks interesting but pricey. Probably cheaper that a new alternator though. I'm glad I don't need one. It would appear to me that with it the whole front is now as low as the alternator so even more to catch on curbs. And make it harder to change oil.

As far as the alternator running hot from lack of airflow... Bilmar has a temp sensor for the alternator that will reduce the output if it gets too hot. Now I'm curious if I have that or not.
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:19 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Allan View Post
The e-guard looks interesting but pricey. Probably cheaper that a new alternator though. I'm glad I don't need one. It would appear to me that with it the whole front is now as low as the alternator so even more to catch on curbs. And make it harder to change oil.

As far as the alternator running hot from lack of airflow... Bilmar has a temp sensor for the alternator that will reduce the output if it gets too hot. Now I'm curious if I have that or not.
I never had the balmar with mine because I had AGMs. I never even knew that my engine guard was there except for it telling me when I got too close to a curb a couple times... and it told me that all was well. I think my front sumos likely took care of any lowering caused by the guard.

Definitely much cheaperr than the alternator. And my Promaster dealer said it was no big deal and not in their way at all.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote