Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Also Replaced My Headlights

Mine were yellowed and cloudy. I tried the restoration route, but wasn't happy with the results. I purchased non-OEM replacements and had the same experience as others with units arriving broken. Eventually I got a good pair, but I'm not delighted with their aiming.

My van is a T1N Sprinter, and I haven't yet found a good set of instructions for aiming the headlights. I was hoping the new ones would "just work", but they're not quite right.

Any suggestions?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Mine were yellowed and cloudy. I tried the restoration route, but wasn't happy with the results. I purchased non-OEM replacements and had the same experience as others with units arriving broken. Eventually I got a good pair, but I'm not delighted with their aiming.

My van is a T1N Sprinter, and I haven't yet found a good set of instructions for aiming the headlights. I was hoping the new ones would "just work", but they're not quite right.

Any suggestions?

I can't speak for Sprinters, but I have found a lot of the aiming instructions, even with the gauges give less than stellar results. I usually go to a flat, level, dark, stretch of road and adjust them one at a time, with the other covered, to how I like the road illuminated for low and high. Does the Sprinter use something other than the very normal two adjusting screws per side, on up/down and one left/right?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post

Any suggestions?
Your replacement headlights should have come with adjusting instructions. The ones for my Chevy showed the adjustment screw. Shame on your supplier for not providing them.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Sprinter headlights do have easily recognized up/down and left/right adjustment knobs. My problem is with the actual aiming. I found a diagram on another site, but the depicted cut-off pattern is hard to achieve pointing the headlights at the garage door.

Recently I've become more sensitive to poorly aimed headlights on other vehicles at night, and I don't want my van to be in that group.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I usually go to a flat, level, dark, stretch of road and adjust them one at a time, with the other covered, to how I like the road illuminated for low and high.
I like that suggestion.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #26
Gold Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Hey Rowiebowie, where in South Texas do you live. If in Austin, maybe you can help me install .
Marie
organize4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #27
Gold Member

GroupB did you change your rear mount spare to the front? I have the rear mount and it is pretty heavy to lower and raise. Would like a different alternative. Thanks,
Marie
organize4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Here's a good look at this update ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210623_205248_resized.jpg (125.9 KB, 10 views)
Santee2005PWTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:15 AM   #29
Platinum Member

I have the same year and model chevy and replaced mine. Don't make the mistake I did, I bought aftermarket and wish I had spent the bucks for OEM. They look pretty decent, but one had some sort of sealant that was obviously a screw u when manufactured. Both leak, and yes I tried a few things. The good news is that after it rains or I wash it, the lens dries out pretty quickly. Some will say restore them, but at least with mine, they were too scratched up.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:52 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I have the same year and model chevy and replaced mine. Don't make the mistake I did, I bought aftermarket and wish I had spent the bucks for OEM. They look pretty decent, but one had some sort of sealant that was obviously a screw u when manufactured. Both leak, and yes I tried a few things. The good news is that after it rains or I wash it, the lens dries out pretty quickly. Some will say restore them, but at least with mine, they were too scratched up.
If you still have the OEMs try this. Mine were pretty scratched or "crazed" from the UV. I got most of the scratches out from sanding; should have sanded them a bit more. Supposedly the kit has a lifetime warranty. At a year now I am happy with them and if it holds for a few more years then that is OK.

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cera...omotive&sr=1-2
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #31
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organize4u View Post
GroupB did you change your rear mount spare to the front? I have the rear mount and it is pretty heavy to lower and raise. Would like a different alternative. Thanks,
Marie
I did. I made a receiver hitch for the front and a new mount for the tire to shed a few pounds. Moving to the front eliminates the the rear access nuisence and helps balance the vehicle weight.

Have yet to find any negatives. Engine and transmission cooling seem unaffected and no headlight impediment that bicycles may cause.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:43 AM   #32
Platinum Member

I used these over the beds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote