Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Congrats on your transit. My 2013 Sprinter never went into limp home mode. It went directly into 10 starts left. 5 times on 6 long distance trips. Seems like I have seen more sprinter dealerships across the nation than National Parks. As you know, repair facilities (including freightliner) are not near where you break down. And then there is the wait time to get in, inconvenience of canceling future campgrounds that were booked, driving way out of your way, etc. After our first horrendous episode with sprinter, my wife (the trip planner), included all the closest dealerships and freight liner service centers on our trip ticket. Once, we even booked appointments at these dealerships in advance to minimize wait times. Out of 6 booked appointments, we used 3 of them to keep us running. You don't have to explain to me why you went with Transit. Happy travels.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
...Both mentioned that the current VS30 will be the last diesel Sprinter, and they may not last the whole model run. Speculation is the in-line 6 cyl gas that MB has now will replace the diesel engine currently used.
I'd be very interested if that M256 gas engine became available on the Sprinter. Although if I remember correctly that engine has no belts, pulleys, or PTO to operate accessories - it's all electric other than the transmission driveshaft. So that might require significant modifications in the engine compartment.

And as a former owner I miss some elements of the Sprinter, but not the sphincter tightening experience of embarking on trips dependent on reliability.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
I'd be very interested if that M256 gas engine became available on the Sprinter. Although if I remember correctly that engine has no belts, pulleys, or PTO to operate accessories - it's all electric other than the transmission driveshaft. So that might require significant modifications in the engine compartment.

And as a former owner I miss some elements of the Sprinter, but not the sphincter tightening experience of embarking on trips dependent on reliability.

Who knows what gas engine will replace the diesel. I doubt it would be a turbo 4 cyl. Does MB make a V6 turbo or no anymore?

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:50 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Who knows what gas engine will replace the diesel. I doubt it would be a turbo 4 cyl. Does MB make a V6 turbo or no anymore?
Besides the M256 turbo inline 6, the only other six cylinder gas engine in the Mercedes stable is the old M276 V6 originally introduced in 2011. The last two vehicles using that engine are the C series sedan, which will be discontinued in February, and the AMG version of the GLC crossover that will be redesigned the following year.

This Road & Track article from 2018 discusses the phase-out of V6 engines at Mercedes:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...asing-out-v6/#
After that the M256 inline, technically a mild hybrid engine, will be the only six cylinder gas option. Based on the interview with MB R&D director Ola Källenius it seems unlikely they will make any further V6 investments in the foreseeable future.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote