Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #1

Default New owner of 2018 Lexor TS with Lithium Batteries - Winterizing

Let’s see if I have this right. We live in Toronto in a condo and will be storing our van outside in a secure storage lot and there is no shore power. It does get below -4F here during the winter. I have read several forums and thought I would summarize what I found.
• I will “Winterize” the van as per P-W Owner Manual and other sources
• I will not cover the van
• I will make sure all windows are covered to protect the van interior
from the effects of the sun
• Will turn OFF the charge line disconnect (red key).
o To prevent the solar panels from charging coach batteries you
must turn OFF the charge line disconnect (red key).
• I will disconnect/remove the van battery and store in the basement of
my daughters’ home
• I will disconnect/remove the 2 lithium batteries and store them in
basement of my daughters’ home
o Will have a qualified tech disconnect the lithium batteries

Questions:
Do I need to trickle charge the 3 batteries while they are stored in the basement?
Can I purchase one “Trickle” charger and switch between each of batteries every month. So, the longest that a battery would not be receiving a charge is 2months.
Could I use a DIGIFLEX Volt Testing Digital Multimeter Voltmeter Ammeter AC DC Meter OHM for to determine if they are discharging?
Should I be concerned with storing the batteries at my daughters’ basement. Would be in the basement in the workshop area away from everything else.
Do I cover the van tires to protect them from the sun, while in storage?
RMLetstryrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If you disconnect the lithium batteries, they will maintain their charge throughout their Winter storage. You never want to "trickle charge" or "float charge" lithium batteries, especially never below zero degrees farenheit.

By disconnecting, you avoid damage that could be caused by charging or discharging them in cold temperatures. The main question is, will your disconnected lithium batteries survive damage simply by being chilled to below zero while stored? That would certainly be taking a risk.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

There is also what SOC, state of charge, to store lithium batteries vs lead acid - not the same.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
There is also what SOC, state of charge, to store lithium batteries vs lead acid - not the same.
OP just pm'd me that batteries would be removed and stored indoors over the winter. Since lithium storage SOC is recommended to be less than 100% (unlike lead acid as you note), it would not be necessary to top out the lithiums before removal. 50-75% would be about right according to storage recommendations I've seen. The lithium batteries would lose little in storage, maybe only 5-10% of charge during that time.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Consider storing in a Southern State, so that when the winter blues hit the 3rd week of January, you can fly to your RV and have a break!
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, winterize