Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default new tire time- Chev 3500 Pleasureway Lexor

quick thread I hope.

Will need tires soon, Costco is running sale on the Michelins this month. Replacing the A/T2's due to age, they offer Agilis which I have no experience with.

Use: paved road 95% occasional dirt/gravel
No snow

LT245/75R/16 Load E Options:

Michelin LTX A/T2 set $714 ( tread depth 32/64th)s

Agilis Cross Climate set $674 ( tread depth) 25/64ths

My spare is 2 years old, never hit the road- it's an LTX A/T2

Thoughts?

Thanks Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There was some discussion recently here: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ion-10185.html, mostly about 16" tires for the Chevy Express.

For those of us who were happy with the recently discontinued Michelin Defenders, we will have to do the same research you're doing for our next set. In my case, not for a few more years.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks- I'd started off on that thread

the LTS vs Agilis is my question

BTW the costco website shows Defenders available

The load index on teh Defenders is 111 ( 2403 lbs) vs 120 ( 3086lbs) for the other michelins I've listed
Old 04-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Thanks- I'd started off on that thread

the LTS vs Agilis is my question

BTW the costco website shows Defenders available

The load index on teh Defenders is 111 ( 2403 lbs) vs 120 ( 3086lbs) for the other michelins I've listed

Those Defenders would not be load range E tires, probably range C at 44psis of so and not suitable for the Chevy.

The very few examples of the Agilis we have heard so far have been favorable. I am still somewhat concerned about ride harshness as they are touted as being much stronger in the sidewalls with more nylon cord, but we haven't heard any complaints on that to this point. There have been some claims online, but I haven't seen it on an official site that the Agilis has an improved compound that should not age crack as quickly as the Defenders and LTS series do.

I just replaced the LTS MS tires on my old Buick, which were 225-75-15 size and about 9 years old and starting to crack even though always stored inside so no sun or ozone. They were decent but somewhat harsh riding and didn't handle as well as the Continentals I put on it. Can't speak for the larger size and load range E tires on the van in that style. We still have a set of MS2s on the van which have been excellent for us, but are aging out soon.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

thanks, I think you hot the nail on the head regarding load range

this was helpful:

https://www.treadwright.com/blogs/tr...-vs-load-range

I'll stop in and ask costco about the agilis

I have had excellent service from the techs over the years

I wouldn;t mind a little smoother/quieter ride on the interstate

Cheers, Mike
Old 04-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Here in Europe, the crossclimate had a good reputation, a wintertire, that has also good summer-qualities. Even has the mountainprint, wich is needed in winter in some countries by law, like Germany.

So I would go for the crosclimate.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #7

Default Agilis

No experience with Chevy.

I put a set of Michelin Agilis on my Sprinter a year ago and have been very please. We have about 18,000 miles on them. No noticeable increased noise over the Vanco’s. It like the look for the tire slightly more aggressive. Rise seem just fine.
Ebyronjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Default new tire time- Chev 3500 Pleasureway Lexor

I also drive a Pleasure way lexor (2011) I recently needed new tires ended up at Costco left with 4 new Agilis tires took a road trip down to LA from Sonoma, and I love, love these tires, very quite, not much sway, great ride. Best decision I have made regarding the Van, now all I need is to get the generator sorted but thats another story.

Stay well and safe,
Bob S
rpns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Bronze Member

The Agillis of Michelin is a seris of tires.
For instance Agillis 81 and 51 are old names, now new names are agillis+, i mean to remember, and the agillis crossclimate here mentioned.
Michelin began with crosclimate first only for normal car tires in standard load and XL, expanded it later to C-tyres is LT-tires.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I also have the Chevy PW, Lexor TS. Sorry I don't have the number, but they're Michelins and have been great. About 2 years and 20,000 miles
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Just checked, Defender, LTX M/S
Old 04-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Decision made:

4 Michelin 245/75/16 LTX A/T2 set $714 installed ( plus tax- 9%)

these have a longer 60,000 mile warranty than the other models I considered

they have the load range E or load index 120= 3086 pounds each tire

( 12,344 pounds for vehicle wet and loaded under 9000#)

deeper tread depth than others

same tires as i had been using, so my spare will match

The costco has a bay tall enough for my 9'4" clearance and the 8000# empty weight is ok for the lift

none of the AZ stores have in stock, they'll have to be ordered in- last time this was about 9 days, date code was "fresh"

costco shoppers know that they run sales on the michelins a few times a year, I'll delay until the next sale as I don't anticipate using the van for awhile- planned run to Ontario to see Mom is off with the closed borders

thanks Mike
Old 04-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Good deal, I paid $20 a tire more and mine say 50k miles, same brand defender
Old 04-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I bought quite a few sets of tires at Costco, but finally got fed up with long waits for installation and service. I discovered Discount Tire (America's Tire in some markets) has faster service, next-day availability on most not-in-stock tires, and will price match Costco (including rebates*). At least in the Southwest, Discount has a lot more stores for service on the fly.

Only thing missing are the pretty green caps...

*Rebates come from the tire manufacturer, and they're normally mail-in rebates. Costco converts them to instant rebates. Discount will do the same if you show them the Costco quote and ask.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I bought quite a few sets of tires at Costco, but finally got fed up with long waits for installation and service. I discovered Discount Tire (America's Tire in some markets) has faster service, next-day availability on most not-in-stock tires, and will price match Costco (including rebates*). At least in the Southwest, Discount has a lot more stores for service on the fly.

Only thing missing are the pretty green caps...

*Rebates come from the tire manufacturer, and they're normally mail-in rebates. Costco converts them to instant rebates. Discount will do the same if you show them the Costco quote and ask.

Us too, the last 5 sets have come from Discount Tire, with no issues. Last fall when I I got aluminum wheels, centers, and tires all at once from them for my old Buick, they matched 3 different places that were the cheapest for each of the parts. Great service.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Me too. Discovered the American Tire by mistake. I was told some west coast areas were forced to NOT use the Discount Tire name, because there was a smaller business on the west coast who had the name prior to Discount Tire. Very happy dealing with them. Between auto and RV, I would guess 4 sets of tires
Old 05-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #17
Platinum Member

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP
the final chapter

New tires on- this was an adventure- for a multitude of reasons, my order thru costco was screwed up
I went back to the store and they were having problems with their inventory

and I'd have to select other tires- after doing research and etc

I set on the Agilis CrossClimate 245/75/16
the Costco price was $801.92 + tax ( with instant $110 off for set of 4)

HOWEVER costco could not guarantee an install date.

Discount Tire was founded here in PHX

Online, I found a store a few miles away with the tires in stock, called to confirm

from the website I clicked on the "found a better price" and started a chat with an agent- they asked me to email a screenshot of the costco price they beat the costco price =$795 + tax( 62.01)..and they sent me an emailed cert to display at the store along with my costco screenshot print out

( and discount has an online rebate of $70 for set of 4)

so my final price after I get the rebate will be 787.01

The discount tire guys had them on in an hour.
They used 4 floor jacks to lift the van and had 3 techs working on it, 1 pulling, 1 mounting, 1 balancing

I DID have to point out that the balancing weights kept the wheels covers from seating, they pulled 2 wheels and fixed that.

(the last car I took to Discount was my '72 Eldo, that also required a call back for weights and wheel covers)

so all good & tires on the short drive home feel nice

I gave the guys $20 towards pizza or tacos for the extra work at 106º

mike
Old 05-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Glad to hear it worked out well! I'll look forward to your reports on this tire. My Chevy Roadtrek tires are going to age out in a year or so, and I have had great recent experience with Michelins.

I was at Discount Wednesday to repair a leaking tire on my daily driver. They let me stay in the vehicle during the repair since the waiting room and coffee shop next door were both closed. The manager came into the bay and greeted me by name. I also got to observe at close hand the correctness of all their procedures: TPS sensor rebuilt, wheel rebalanced, properly installed and torqued, checked pressure and retorqued all four wheels.

I'll bet if you had asked they'd have converted the mail-in rebate to an instant rebate, since Costco does that. They have done it twice for me (I hate dealing with those pre-paid Visa rebate cards).

My wife, who rarely ever deals with vehicle-related stuff, stopped in to top off a low tire once and remarked how efficient, courteous, and thorough they were. I could go on about their customer service over the years, but suffice to say they have earned my respect as a company, and I don't say that often or lightly.

Do one thing and do it well.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #19
Platinum Member

going to post a review today
mike