Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default New TV

Hi...any recommendations for a new 19" Wifi ready TV that we can connect to using one of our cell phones as a hot spot? Our current model is powered by AC...it would help if the new one did too. Thanks!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have had great results with a 21" samsung ($140 costco)

it is not a smart tv but can stream into in using a google chrometv dongle- in most cases the wifi available in the boonies isn't fast enough

I do have plenty TV and movies downloaded to thumbdrive which play using the built in media player

it also works great with my antenna

Reason for my choice:

biggest size would fit easily

DC native ( comes with ac/dc transformer- as do many smaller samsungs- native 14 VDC)- used same coax plug as old tv

headphone out to the RV audio system ( which is what the original tv used)

digital native ( was able to remove analog/digital convertor box)

price/costco warranty

it took me less than an hour to remove the old 2006 stuff and mount the new tv.
I've posted pics in an old thread

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree that it probably makes more sense to skip a smart TV and instead go with an external device like AppleTV, Fire Stick, or Chrome TV. The built-in stuff tends to be kind of clunky and more difficult to upgrade. Not a huge difference, though.

If you do decide to go with a smart TV, I don't have a positive recomendation, but I do have a negative one: We got one for our bedroom that had Roku built in (because it fit). The interface is a mess and the device is generally unstable. I would avoid.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Silver Member

Agreed on the external ... I personally use an Xbox One S since it has a wide range of apps, wifi or ethernet and can play local files. Being able to game a bit is nice too and placement is open to pretty much where ever you can run an hdmi cable.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terance13 View Post
Hi...any recommendations for a new 19" Wifi ready TV that we can connect to using one of our cell phones as a hot spot? Our current model is powered by AC...it would help if the new one did too. Thanks!
Why not one that runs on DC?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I installed an LG projector in the ceiling with a 35” roll down screen. Don’t see this type of TV often in B class but based on my personal experience it is well suited for a camper van. LG projector is based on Texas Instrument DLP and LED light source. LED in red/green/blue dramatically reduces power consumption if compared projectors with white light source with color wheel. It draws less than 100W and it can be powered by 12VDC or 120VAC.

Newer LG DLP LED HD draw 65W or less. https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-PF50KA-projector
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR10526.jpg (639.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR10520.jpg (405.2 KB, 22 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:29 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We don't watch TV during our escapes. But we like to watch TV series and movies. They're on our 10.5" iPad. We set the pad in the old CTR TV/VCR location (you can tell that's REALLY old). I had special eyeglasses crafted so I could see the screen. Not. But vision challenged individuals would need them.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We have opted not to have a TV in our next van. I might make provisions for a rough-in hookup if we change our mind for a flip down TV from the ceiling but the ones with a swing arm on the wall are cumbersome. We seldom watch TV on the road and most stops are deficient of over the air or cable not being available. At home we are opting more and more watching Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and Youtube, etc. For the little we watch we can get streaming on our iPads, laptops and iPhones or by downloading episodes.

We can't do without Sirius/XM satellite radio. If I want local news from home there are several streaming radio station apps on an iPhone and we have a digital facsimile subscription from our local newspaper that can be downloaded and read offline.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We have opted not to have a TV in our next van. I might make provisions for a rough-in hookup if we change our mind for a flip down TV from the ceiling but the ones with a swing arm on the wall are cumbersome. We seldom watch TV on the road and most stops are deficient of over the air or cable not being available. At home we are opting more and more watching Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and Youtube, etc. For the little we watch we can get streaming on our iPads, laptops and iPhones or by downloading episodes.

We can't do without Sirius/XM satellite radio. If I want local news from home there are several streaming radio station apps on an iPhone and we have a digital facsimile subscription from our local newspaper that can be downloaded and read offline.
You don't have a stationary/fixed screen with or without a broadcast tv tuner built in. Your multiple screens are all portable, but I would say you watch tv with some or all of them.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We seldom watch TV on the road and most stops are deficient of over the air or cable ...
I like to check local stations to be aware of weather forecasts or events...thinking tornado season, we also are often camping in/near tsunami zones where we would want to be able to check local news outlets

sometimes we get TV where we don;t get cell service for alerts

mike

PS just reminded that TV makes more attractive kicking guests out of the house after dinner, we sometimes use the van for a "guest room"
Old 08-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
sometimes we get TV where we don;t get cell service for alerts

mike
Hadn't thought about that. Good point.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Check your inverter too

You mention using AC, but not whether you are using an on-board inverter or shore tie. Be aware that many stock inverters produce a modified sine wave AC that is not tolerated by newer electronics. Our TV was upgraded by previous owners and would not run off inverter AC. I upgraded our battery capacity and added a pure sine wave inverter and that solved the problem.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #13

I have a Pleasure-way Excel TS that had a small TV. I replaced it with a Vizio 20" (I think) smart TV. It has all the HDMI ports and many of the built in features. It is light weight and works great with the power inverter on my unit. My grandson can watch movies or play games while we are driving down the road, or it will work great when connected to shore power.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
I have a Pleasure-way Excel TS

Hey Kojo, Welcome to the Forums

Mike
Old 08-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #15
Bronze Member

I got a Skyworth 19" LED TV DVD Combo AC/DC (SLC1921A) 12 Volt TV DVD from RoadTrucker Logbooks, Travel Gifts, Truck Locks, Accessories... supposedly ruggedized for mobile usage. It had an intermittent short out of the box, may have solved it with insul goo and tape. Discovered problem out of 90 warranty of course. I do not recommend this one for several other reasons as well. When it is making a good pix, it draws about 3A of 12vdc. Maybe give it a pass. Otherwise tho, Cheers!
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #16
Silver Member

All this is way beyond my knowledge base. I just know I have a TV and an antenna and at the moment, the TV gets NO signal. So I just thought I'd get a new smart TV and use our cell phones as hot spots. It sounded so simple when I explained this to my wife and now she asking about when she going to be able to watch her Netflix shows!!!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
Silver Member

My current TV is 12v powered. So don't I need a 12v TV?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
My current TV is 12v powered. So don't I need a 12v TV?
In your original msg, you said that the tv was AC-powered. Is it 120VAC, or 12VDC?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #19

I have a Vizio D-series 24" Smart TV. I added a "Firestick" and using my iPhone as a hot spot, I can watch all the channels that I subscribed to, including Netflix.
As far as needing a 12v TV. If your RV has an inverter you should be able to use either a 12v or 120v TV. Mine has an ON/OFF switch to turn on the inverter which changes the 120v to 12v. Also there is a 120v outlet that I can change the TV to when I have shore power. I know it all works because my grandkid watches DVDs and Netflix while we are going down the road.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a TV and an antenna and at the moment, the TV gets NO signal.

is there an antenna amplifier which needs to be switched on?

mine looks kinda like this: