Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Default No idea what I’m doing

Hi guys so I’m real new to the RV world. I just recently got a 1988 dodge Xplorer that’s been passed down from my grandparents. It’s only got 92k miles and all thing considered is in really good condition. I’m a mechanic so most of this stuff is simple but a few things that I’m ashamed I can’t figured out lol. I’m looking for the location of the propane tank. I’m also looking for any advice or tips in general or specific to these machines. I don’t know much so anything is helpful! Thank you!
writtenaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

As a mechanic, you'll have no problem keeping the Dodge running. Like every vehicle (especially one this old), they need service a maybe a steering box upgrade. But overall the old Dodges seem to run forever as witnessed by the many on this forum. A lot of recent owners of older Xplorers have joined this forum lately.

As far as your question, one of those owners will be along soon to answer your question. In the meantime, it would be a good idea to drive it onto some sturdy wood blocks and take a peak around underneath. You will learn worlds of helpful information on what's what, what's where, and what condition things are in.

Good luck.

Ps. - Get some new shocks on it and new tires if their age and/or their condition warrants.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #3

So far it seems to run great. I’ll definitely be bringing it to the shop to see what the underside looks like. I appreciate it!
writtenaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:11 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Dodge vans are known to wear out steering boxes, resulting in 'death wobble.'

There's a clever fix to this, that doesn't require pulling the steering box. You just add a pillow block with a bigger bearing to the pitman arm shaft.

Does your Dodge Ram truck or van have the "Dodge Death Wobble" (violent shaking of your front end) or even road wander or sloppy steering???

Typically, these problems are not enough to put you in the ditch (but can). They are enough to be very tiring and annoying to drive, and make you look like a DUI candidate.

This product is designed to solve the "very common" steering and handling problem found on Dodge Ram trucks/van.

I've put two of these on. One class B with 180xxx on the odo needed it. Another one with 64,000 miles didn't need it, but it keeps it from needing it later.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have 1997 PleasureWay on Dodge 3500 chassis and added the stabilizer as Nic mentions. But I never had the severe shake or wobble. Just light steering. It added some improvement in terms of road feel for me. It's relatively cheap and easy to install.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I have a 1998 dodge,I have had no issues with steering box. Just have to watch out for the front frame rust where the steering box attachs. Love my dodge!
Frumpster is offline   Reply With Quote