Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #1

Exclamation Onan 2800 oil capacity

Hi all! I like to think I am a do it your selfer. Changed the oil in the 2800 and all I have as a reference is that DVD that came with it, it is too generic. Went online and found that this unit took one quart of oil. Apparently that information was wrong. Found out the hard way it should be .63 of a quart. Has anyone had the same problem?
Thanks
taguilera4@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taguilera4@cox.net View Post
Hi all! I like to think I am a do it your selfer. Changed the oil in the 2800 and all I have as a reference is that DVD that came with it, it is too generic. Went online and found that this unit took one quart of oil. Apparently that information was wrong. Found out the hard way it should be .63 of a quart. Has anyone had the same problem?
Thanks
Same thing happened to me 2nd time I changed the oil. I added way too much oil. Started the genny to check it out. It billowed white smoke out the tail pipe. Quickly drained out all of the oil. Replaced with about 20 oz of oil. Actually some people state these genny's run better with less oil.

On FB forum, someone mentioned how to know exactly quantity of oil to add. Get a plastic wide mouth, calibrated disposable container. When draining out old oil, measure the quantity. After doing this, you will always know the proper quantity within an oz or so.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Same thing happened to me 2nd time I changed the oil. I added way too much oil. Started the genny to check it out. It billowed white smoke out the tail pipe. Quickly drained out all of the oil. Replaced with about 20 oz of oil. Actually some people state these genny's run better with less oil.

On FB forum, someone mentioned how to know exactly quantity of oil to add. Get a plastic wide mouth, calibrated disposable container. When draining out old oil, measure the quantity. After doing this, you will always know the proper quantity within an oz or so.
Thanks that is good information.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

My '2012 2.8 KY gas model Onan (obviously different model than yours) takes exactly 1 qt. of oil and level is checked without screwing in the dip stick.

Just make sure you're using the correct oil quantity and checking the level according to manufacturer's recommendation for your model.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My '2012 2.8 KY gas model Onan (obviously different model than yours) takes exactly 1 qt. of oil and level is checked without screwing in the dip stick.

Just make sure you're using the correct oil quantity and checking the level according to manufacturer's recommendation for your model.
Yes, I understand, thanks
Old 02-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Our 2020 2800 uses .63 quart.

Newer 2800i uses 1 quart.

Drain plugs are also different and have different torque specs.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:47 PM   #7

Default 2800 oil level

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Our 2020 2800 uses .63 quart.

Newer 2800i uses 1 quart.

Drain plugs are also different and have different torque specs.
Seems not all 2800s are the same, have to drill down as to what model you actually have. Online I found one quart and .63 quart. I emailed cumins customer service. They called me and with my serial number he sent a PDF on my Gen. He claims they do include a owner's handbook to the RV manufacturer. I told him for my last two new rigs all I got was a DVD. Go figure?: banghead
Old 02-27-2022, 05:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taguilera4@cox.net View Post
Seems not all 2800s are the same, have to drill down as to what model you actually have. Online I found one quart and .63 quart. I emailed cumins customer service. They called me and with my serial number he sent a PDF on my Gen. He claims they do include a owner's handbook to the RV manufacturer. I told him for my last two new rigs all I got was a DVD. Go figure?: banghead
I think that’s wise counsel. Get the manual for your model genset. We got a paper manual in our owner’s packet.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:01 PM   #9

Dip stick! Not you, the one on the fill plug.
skier1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Interesting Thread? or not

Anyone with any internet link??

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #11

Thread? or not?

NOT THREADED
DwightB is offline   Reply With Quote