Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Plumbing question

I had the thought to put a spray nozzle by the back door so I can rinse off things and possibly rinse down the toilet. I have PB plumbing and it is my understanding yhat it is no longer used. I have only worked with copper pipe never any type of plactic. My question is how do I splice a T and a valve in the line and are there fittings to convert over to something else?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Maybe an outdoor shower kit (installed indoors ) would give you all you need in a neat package.

I've never worked with Polybutylene pipes. My understanding is that you use compression fittings. You don't glue it together like PVC.

Here's a link to some of the fittings available:

http://www.plumbingstore.com/polyb.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There are drains for the water system on my RV. I took the plug out of one and put a regular garden hose faucet on it. The faucet threaded right into the existing drain line. (My RV is 1977 so it probably has different plumbing than newer ones) I can reach slightly under my RV and connect a hose to that line. When I turn the pump on and open the valve, I have water available from the hose.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
There are drains for the water system on my RV. I took the plug out of one and put a regular garden hose faucet on it. The faucet threaded right into the existing drain line. (My RV is 1977 so it probably has different plumbing than newer ones) I can reach slightly under my RV and connect a hose to that line. When I turn the pump on and open the valve, I have water available from the hose.
That's a very clever idea. Pretty easy way to get pressurized water outside.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

My low point is way under where I cannot get to without crawling and it is only about a 1/4 line from a flip valve.
I already have the shower on the other side of the van, and that is what I wanted to move so I could also rinse down the toilet better. I never was good at compression fittings. Like I said I like copper. My guess is the pb plumbing needs some type of crimper for the ring unless compression rings take the place.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm lucky because the drain is next to my rear tire. I can get at the valve through the wheel well.

Compression fittings aren't too difficult. There should be 2 pieces and they thread together on to the pipe. When they tighten together, they will close in on the compression ring and seal on to the pipe.

Personally, I prefer copper too. I have to flush my water system for a long time to get the smell and taste of the winter antifreeze out of the lines. The old PB lines are porous and keep the smell and taste in them. Copper would probably work a lot better.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote