Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #21

I installed the Truma Combi in my Simplicity SRT and have been very happy with the nearly silent performance. I also had a Cat brand vented catalytic heater in my boat and that was a quiet, clean, safe solution. Both are expensive. The cat can be found at http://www.ventedcatheater.com/. Installing the Truma required completing a bunch of tasks to tap into the propane, plumbing, power, and ducting. It fit where I removed the Suburban furnace and water heater with space to spare.
markoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Recently installed Espar D2L diesel heater. Very very efficient, the sound is there but more even and not distracting. And very warm! The old constant cycling is gone!
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:40 AM   #23

Hi,
Here is one Atwood that uses a 2 stage burner -- I assume its quieter on the lower stage?
Excalibur XT 2-Stage RV Furnace with Thermostat

Gary
GaryBIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:06 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBIS View Post
Hi,
Here is one Atwood that uses a 2 stage burner -- I assume its quieter on the lower stage?
Excalibur XT 2-Stage RV Furnace with Thermostat

Gary

Way to big for a class B at 34,000 btu/hr. Uses a lot of power, also, 11 amps on high and 5 on low.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:51 AM   #25
Platinum Member

I second Espar Airtronics D2, best RV heater I ever had but it is diesel powered. Propex is also very quiet and powered by LPG.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:53 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Way too big for a class B at 34,000 btu/hr. Uses a lot of power, also, 11 amps on high and 5 on low.
Agreed. That thing would toast you in Siberia. High at 16,000 BTU and low at 8,000 with a digital thermostat with one degree hysterisis would do it.

Certainly a correct idea needed on a smaller scale for Class B.

I re-emphasize the heated mattress pads. Try it, you will like it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:23 AM   #27
Silver Member

Here’s a clarification. The furnaces don’t make the condensation inside our vans, we do. Any condensation from the burning of whatever fuel it uses, propane, diesel or gasoline goes out the exhaust along with any carbon monoxide as long as it’s working properly. The moisture inside the van is primarily from us breathing and perspiring (more than 3 cups a day per person), but also from cooking and bathing. The condensation is just a factor of that moisture contacting a cold surface.
Sorry, I was a home inspector for more than 25 years and saying things inaccurately was a good way to get sued.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:27 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspekter View Post
Here’s a clarification. The furnaces don’t make the condensation inside our vans, we do. Any condensation from the burning of whatever fuel it uses, propane, diesel or gasoline goes out the exhaust along with any carbon monoxide as long as it’s working properly. The moisture inside the van is primarily from us breathing and perspiring (more than 3 cups a day per person), but also from cooking and bathing. The condensation is just a factor of that moisture contacting a cold surface.
Sorry, I was a home inspector for more than 25 years and saying things inaccurately was a good way to get sued.
An earlier post asked about using a catalytic propane heater and those do release water vapor.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote