Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek Compartment Leak

Rain leaks into the long compartment on the driver's side of my 2010 Roadtrek 210 Popular. The compartment cover has edges that overlap the drawer, and the rubber seal seems intact. I removed the two locks in the top of the cover and installed O-rings under them. I can't figure how the rain can get in when the compartment is closed and locked under the body. It's usually only a few cups of water but enough that I can't keep anything with fabric in there.
Anyone else have this problem?
rscrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Gold Member

I had this problem with my 2008 210V. The water was coming through the latches. Confirmed it by running water on them with the compartment empty and dry. Memory is foggy on the details but I did address the seal on the latches but can't say whether I replaced them or just added some type of sealant. I think they were flat rubber gaskets on top of the lid. The other thing I did was to add grease to the voids in the rotating latch assembly to repel water. Now when I pull out the drawer after a rain, the depressions on the lid are full of water, but not a drop gets into the compartment. It's been years.

The other aspect of this set-up is the gutter, located on the body above the opening, that channels water horizontally to either end of the drawer. This gets clogged with dirt running down the body when it rains. Keeping it clear and sealing any gaps behind it, between the rivets, minimizes the amount of water reaching the top of the lid. When everything is right, the is no water collected in the lid depressions after rain. From my experience this is rare. It doesn't take much to overflow the gutter.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks. I did have some water in the latch depressions and thought the O-ring under the outside part would take care of it. I'll try the grease and also check the gutter. I wasn't aware of that but it probably is how the water gets there.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I had the same problem with a 2014 Roadtrek Ranger RT. When running test with a hose I saw the water coming thru the hinges. I used clear silicone above the trim (above the hinge) and put gorilla tape inside the door along the hinge. So far, no water....! I suspect that after a while the tape will go, but it is a cheap fix. In my view, definitely a design problem....!
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Tags
compartment, roadtrek leak