RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Steering Wander

I am a new owner of a Ď02 Dodge 3500 Popular. I love it EXCEPT it tends to wander left or right on smooth roads with no traffic at 50-70 mph. Iíve had linkages checked and an aftermarket steering box stabilizer installed. No improvement. Any suggestions?

GjsGjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #2

correct tire pressure and front alignment +caster

robert g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:18 AM   #3

Like Robert said... yes an alignment is next step after being sure that all front the suspension and linkage are OK. It is not a waste of money to get it aligned either way. Make sure bushings, tie-rods and ball-joints are OK. Wheel bearings should also be checked.

If no better, than if the tire pressure is ok, it is most likely the tires themselves.
Uneven worn tires can produce this kind of behavior.
A test could be to switch rear with front and see if there is any changes.

Good luck.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
Platinum Member

There are lots of discussions on here about Dodge handling issues, so a search would probably be in order so you can see all the details.

Dodges appear to need more than an alignment, although and alignment to the Dodge TSB for handling improvements is one of the things.

Stiffer rear springs

Better shocks

A good steering gear like a Redhead rebuilt, not parts store ones

80/65 tire pressures

I would also do a rear sway bar and make sure the front one has good links and bushings.

Front wheel bearings adjusted properly

Maybe rear wheel spacers to even out the track width

The short wheel base, big overhang makes it tough to get rid of the wander especially in the post 1998 units, we have heard.

Most can be made a lot better, but they will not likely ever be considered great handling vans, I think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:52 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Owner of 1997 PW on Dodge 3500. I experience "light" steering at high speeds but I can take my hands off the steering wheel and get no pull whatsoever to either side. Unless road is crowned it just keeps going straight. Suggest alignment but contact RV mfg. My alignment specs from PW are different than the Dodge alignment specs. Also recommend what previous posters have suggested including booster's extensive comments. I've never done the rear wheel spacers, though.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GjsGjs View Post
I am a new owner of a Ď02 Dodge 3500 Popular. I love it EXCEPT it tends to wander left or right on smooth roads with no traffic at 50-70 mph. Iíve had linkages checked and an aftermarket steering box stabilizer installed. No improvement. Any suggestions?
Hi, as I already did the following mods on several B3500's with the same issue, for my friends and a few fellows RV'ers with noticeable improvement , I suggest these 2 easy mods to begin with.
1- Rear wheels spacers 1-1/2" should give you an easy 20% improvement
2- Rear Air Lift ( Firestone or Air Lift) kept at 55PSI is another easy 20%

The Air lift will transfer some weight to the front axle and also reduce sensitivity to crosswind .
There is a lot you can do to improve the handling , but these 2 items are on the easy path

Soyouz9 is offline   Reply With Quote