Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2023, 12:42 PM   #61
Bronze Member

Well, I took the van out Friday to the Sheyenne Valley Grasslands. It was hot (in the 80s) and very, very humid so mildly miserable. The clouds were really think and heavy and rain was predicted. It took us a little bit to find where to go but there is a very nice campground and a whole lot of trails which was great. The striped gophers were everywhere giving the dog something to watch. Oh yea, and the wood ticks were out in force.

Anyway, we're still getting the van packed and getting everything in the right places, etc. I also had a very, very low cell connection so tossed on the extender and was able to take work calls while getting everything put away. Once that all got cleaned up and in place, we pulled out the Starlink, flipped on the generator and opened the app. I couldn't get it to work at all and I must have messed with it for an hour. Light came on to show the router was working (stupidly placed on the bottom of the router) and I simply never got past the same step in the set up process. Tried to do some troubleshooting online. Nothing. Put it away in disappointment. Maybe the clouds were to thick? Pup and I had dinner and went on a hike which was very nice. BTW, if you are ever in the area, it is a very nice place and the walk was really pretty. We'll have to see how much of the Great Northern Trail we can do.

So, rained heavy all night. Must have been well over an inch and that broke the heat some but it was pouring in the morning. A wet fluffy dog in a tiny camper has disadvantages to say the least. Since it was going to rain all day, we packed up and headed to the farm. After we got there, we drug the Starlink back out and set it up again. We messed with every connection and I have a feeling, the connection to the receiver might be loose. After messing with that, it turned on and started to fire up. Then it worked like a charm - went through the entire set up process and left it to run for a bit. I hope this was a one time problem not something random.

Storage: we ended up using the container from the box which held the receiver. As expected, it does fit under the bed but getting it in and out of there with other things and a huge long cord turned into a pain really fast so we separated the parts and put the feet under there but the receiver back into the carrying case and it fits snug right next to the wall under the table. Since I never sit that far over, it isn't in the way at all. We also bundled up the cords into 'sections' so I will only unloop what I actually need at one time and not have to roll all that back up over and over.

Last, I really, really hated the glass plate thing that I suppose is supposed to be a splash guard over the cook top. That thing was completely in the way always so in the act of taking that off, we decided to cut a whole in the cabinet and run the router plug out to a plug and give it a permanent home. It worked like a charm. Cut another hole for the plug from the sat dish and boom, one less thing to mess with and live around.

The camper goes in for warranty work with Thor today. Couple of lights need to be replaced and for sure, the solar isn't charging anything. I also don't understand the legs on the awning which don't lock and don't seem to provide any support at all. Then Wed it goes in for the springs and for a few other warranty issues like a blinking odometer and the blind spot monitor which is disabled. Last, hopefully I'll get the plate for the generator soon and assuming everything is fixed, we'll be ready for a real test weekend.

All in, not thrilled with the Starlink. I really hope it was a one time issue but I doubt it. Never is with electronics. I suppose I'll reach out to them today just in case it happens again.

Thanks all again for all the help. I've learned a ton off the site already and from your all's advice....
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:26 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Not the greatest camping weather... especially with a wet dog. Hopefully that means things can only improve. The mosquitoes don't seem to be out much yet, but they say the ticks are already thick up here.

Did they fix the blind spot monitor. It has been a total mess for many... most? The first year it came out - 2021 Promasters, most failed. I forget what year yours is.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #63
Bronze Member

Well, we'll see with the monitor (that's on Wed). I'm really hoping all the work on the camper portion is quick and I have it back by then. The only thing which I think could hold it up is the solar if they can't figure out why it isn't working. Off to drop it off right now.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:45 PM   #64
Platinum Member

There should be a setting in one of the custom screens on your radio/head unit that allows turning on the blind spot monitor. I have a Kenwood, so it won't help you which screen it is there, but it took me a while to dig through the GUI until I found that setting along with a few others that allowed some more features and customization.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #65
Bronze Member

Update: Van went to Thor for warranty work on Monday and I have two legit still open issues: 1. solar doesn't work. They backed into it being a bad controller and that's now on order. 2. the legs on the awning don't properly lock and so provide little to no support when the awning is deployed. New legs on order.

I thought two of the LED lights didn't work: when you flip on all the lights in the van, those two don't come on (over the sink and over the table). Found out that's because they aren't on the switch with the rest of the lights, they have a push on feature. That's great but never read, saw or was told that so I had no idea. I felt bad for wasting their time figuring that out.

Van is now at the Ram dealership getting the blind spot monitor and blinking odometer addressed and springs installed. Also, btw, there is a new recall for the van as of like a minute ago: debris gets into the parking position and it doesn't lock into park. No solution yet but sounds like fairly essential to set the parking break in the meantime so it won't roll away on you. Passing that one along.

All in, we're getting there. Plate for the low generator comes next week and so we'll have a moment to get that installed before I start the summer rounds. Not sure if both of the above issues will be fully addressed by then but it is what it is I suppose. I won't put off the trip for either item.

Also, taking it out with family this weekend. It should be very interesting sharing the space with someone else and their huge 130 lb german shepard dog. Who wants to guess we'll likely be back early on Sunday. Lol.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:13 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Van is now at the Ram dealership getting the blind spot monitor and blinking odometer addressed and springs installed. Also, btw, there is a new recall for the van as of like a minute ago: debris gets into the parking position and it doesn't lock into park. No solution yet but sounds like fairly essential to set the parking break in the meantime so it won't roll away on you. Passing that one along.
Do you think you will make it to Sunday? lol It sound like you are making a bit of progress. Are you sure you even want those awning legs? In windy ND, you will rarely, if ever, get to use it. lol (I excluded the awning on every one of my rigs and have never used one.)

The recall came out on April 27. Description on my Mopar page... you can set up a Mopar My Vehicle page... BTW. Use you vin # and it will have any recalls. Is your van a 2021?

"Some 2019-2021 Ram ProMaster vehicles equipped with the 62TE transmission may not allow the park pawl to fully engage the park gear due to debris interference. A partially engaged park pawl may lead to a vehicle roll away increasing the likelihood of a vehicle crash without prior warning and/or injury to those in or around the vehicle.

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles. For vehicles in FCA US Recall ID 44A, FCA US will update the Powertrain Control Module calibration software, and inspect, and if necessary, replace, the transmission or components within the transmission."

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to come up with the fix for this one. The first two recalls on my 2018, it took them a year - give or take - to come up with the fixes.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #67
Bronze Member

I sincerely doubt we'll make it until Sunday. Whatever happens, it will be an experience as are all interactions with my sister.

The warranty work at Ram was a bust. They needed parts to fix the BSM and that would stop the blinking. So, parts are on order. Very doubtful I'll have them before heading out on the summer trips which is a bummer just like the Thor parts.

This is a 2022 van / 2023 Thor build and so yea, they just issued the recall for this model as well. I have not yet set up a recall monitor so good reminder to do that.

As for the legs, I will almost never deploy it I'm sure. I've had them before and never used them except it is a whole lot easier being fully electronic so who knows. Either way, I paid for a working system and didn't get it and will likely resell it someday and they might care. Hence, worth getting it addressed.

The skid plate is next. Just got notified that is in the mail and that's terrific because I will have that before going.

Last, while I only put the springs in the back and haven't driven it very far, holy crap does it drive better. No kidding, the corners feel much more like driving a normal car and overall, it is way more stable. I may go back and add the front ones just cause even though I can't see how they would make it any better as the change was dramatic.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Many of those with the larger vans felt only a slight effect from adding the front ones. Most of us did it because it does raise the front about a half inch... while the rear ones add about an inch. Since the Promaster front end is already lower than the rear, it is just a little more pleasant for those of us who never level. lol

Did the Ram dealer fix the blind spot monitor?

The blinking of things on the dash display has been going on since at least 2015... usually the time. I've been lucky and neither my 2018 or 2021 had the issue.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-18-2023, 01:39 PM   #69
Bronze Member

No, they need to fix the blind spot monitor which is literally missing parts and not in stock and once that is fixed, the blinking odometer will reset. I really would like the blind spot monitor to work. The blinking odometer is just annoying and distracting. So overall, I'm 0 for 4 on the warranty issues between camper and van and 1 'I didn't understand' solution.

Good to know about the springs. It doesn't feel 'tilted' to me at all and doesn't even look like the front is lower. I have no desire to actually make it taller and so if there isn't much to gain otherwise, I'll keep my dollars in my pocket. This really didn't seem to raise the back end but it sure drives better. Completely worth it for that alone.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
<snip>
Last, while I only put the springs in the back and haven't driven it very far, holy crap does it drive better. No kidding, the corners feel much more like driving a normal car and overall, it is way more stable. I may go back and add the front ones just cause even though I can't see how they would make it any better as the change was dramatic.
After you decide whether or not to put in the fronts, have the headlights re-aimed: they'll be "down bubble".

... and good luck with all.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:29 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good to know about the springs. It doesn't feel 'tilted' to me at all and doesn't even look like the front is lower. I have no desire to actually make it taller and so if there isn't much to gain otherwise, I'll keep my dollars in my pocket. This really didn't seem to raise the back end but it sure drives better. Completely worth it for that alone.
I've never felt it, but I can see it on every Promaster.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #72
Bronze Member

My sister and I went out this weekend camping in Minn. She has a huge dog (130 pounds) and I have my guy (45 pounds) and so the camper was 'full'. She slept upstairs which was really nice actually. It was good for each of us to have our own space.

The camper worked very well for two people and two dogs. We ended up at Itasca State Park which is beautiful and being before the Memorial Day weekend, it was also not at all busy.

What I could use advice on is Ticks. Hundreds of them. My dog is a fluffy border collie and a magnet for the things. He has the chewable drugs in him so if they bite, they die before passing infections and he has the oil on the outside of him but he still must have gotten bit 50 times. This is with us constantly monitoring him and removing dozens and dozens. I washed him on getting home yesterday and had ticks going down the drain and I'm still finding them on him today.

Holy crap. I don't remember this from being a kid. I think it is because they are very wet up here but I'm getting jumpy about taking him back out. I ended up with two bites and one looks nasty. They healed fairly quick and didn't do the 'you've been infected red ring thing' but I don't want to end up with something either.

My sister called them mutant ticks because they bit so fast and aggressively that while we pulled scads off, they dug in so quick that it was impossible to stop them from biting.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Quote:
What I could use advice on is Ticks.
Have you tried spraying your clothes (NOT SKIN) with a permethrin based repellent? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CD9NFB4

Not sure about dogs, but keep that stuff away from cats, it's deadly for them.

It's supposed to last through several washes. I spray my hiking pants, hat, shirt, etc. Sometimes socks and shoes too.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:05 PM   #74
Bronze Member

Ordered it. That was a good pointer. I read through it all and yes, it can be put on dogs as well. He certainly needs more protection. He's fluffy enough I can keep it away from his skin (they recommend you keep it off yours) but it should still help. The oil I put on him is meant to be near the skin so that would give him 3 layers of stuff. I hate using a pesticide but he seriously can't go through that many bites again. I'm not ready to write of being outside yet....

Thank you.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:53 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Between the mosquitoes and ticks, the whole concept of "camping" in our part of the country is less and less appealing.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #76
Bronze Member

Yea. It just wasn't a factor in NM the same way. Never thought about it but I need to here. I was still pulling ticks off the pup yesterday afternoon. They were all dead but still. His 15+ year old body had to deal with being bit that many times. The mosquitoes don't seem to bother him and a bit of bug spray and they left me alone as well but he's making up for that in being a genuine and unfortunate target of the ticks.

I think I'm going to try far north in ND this weekend. They are supposed to be drier up there. I've never explored the area and the hope is the ticks aren't as bad. We really enjoy the camper and being outside so I just can't decide I'm not going to do it. At least not yet.

Oh, btw, the skid plate was delivered to the farm yesterday. Might go work from the farm for a day and get that installed. It shouldn't take that long I wouldn't think and since we're supposed to get rain again, my brother won't be in the fields for sure so also helpful. He's just so damn strong and sometimes that's really helpful.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:48 PM   #77
Platinum Member

I should think if you get away from the Red River and the trees, there will be fewer ticks? The mosquitoes are terrible here near Minneapolis and I was just swarmed when I took a walk today.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-24-2023, 12:08 PM   #78
Bronze Member

Yea, I think I'm headed to the ND / Canadian border for the weekend. Lake Metigoshe seems to have a nice state park, the Turtle Mountains right next to them and they are drier our there which should reduce the ticks. Plus, takes me past the farm where we can put the guard on the generator.

Interestingly, I don't seem to attract mosquitos. Sure they will bite but not like some people who just can't seem to stay away from them. Either way, I'd rather have them then ticks. I saw a stat that said like 70% of the ticks have lyme vs the 5% it used to be. I for sure don't need that in my life.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:31 PM   #79
Platinum Member

You're getting close to the Peace Gardens too. You might want to check it out.

Mosquitoes love me best... and leave me with big itching welts that can last up to 2 weeks.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-29-2023, 09:58 PM   #80
Bronze Member

Default Update

Well, the plate came and was installed. A little bit of a pain to install (the bolts need to be very long to get it on but then hard to snug them down). We backed up onto some blocks to at least get some space to get under it. After that, little bit of cussing but we got it on. So we had it for the weekend.

I've now put in the back springs, put a plate on to protect the generator and am waiting on a recall on the Ram and a fix for the missing parts for the blind spot monitor and warranty fix for the support arms on the awning and a controller for the solar panel.

Over the weekend, I received another recall for the generator (loose clamps so it could leak) AND lost the solar panel. Seriously. I now need to add the local Cummings dealer to the list of people who need to see it.

Additionally, I was driving back from the International Peace Gardens and the wind ripped the panel right off the roof. I wasn't driving very fast and while windy, it wasn't out of line wind for ND. Scared the crap out of me. I thought the entire pop up roof was coming off. I didn't realize it was the solar panel until it was to late to turn around and find it. Thank god no one was behind me and got hurt. That needs to now be added to the list on the warranty work cause no way should that have happened. They should also replace the connectors. Those suckers get damaged and they start fires. See Walmart roofs as an example.

Sigh. I'm about to launch into weeks of work trips and then hopefully use it for a couple of months and I have a list of things that need to get done on it. I feel like I've been trying and am further behind now then when I started. Oof.

The weekend was nice though.

Teresa