Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2023, 12:47 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Wow. That sure seems like a “Jerry-rigged” solution to that generator mounting design flaw.

Since they are cheap, I installed Sumo Springs on my van. That seems very odd to me though to use them to raise the van to solve that generator problem. Makes me wonder about Thor.
Thor is on the lower end of the spectrum, which is reflected in the initial price you pay. They don't use all high end appliances/materials/craftsmanship.

The Rize/Scope fits an amazing amount of stuff into a very short chassis - I am not sure there is any other floor plan that beats it. With that come certain compromises, like sticking a lot of stuff underneath the car, probably a bit too close to the road, with the ProMaster not having a lot of clearance to start with.

However, they are addressing the issues, and at least IME, their customer service is easy to reach and very responsive.

You'll find design issues and horror stories anywhere... If you expect perfection... good luck and deep pockets.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:18 AM   #22
Platinum Member

I ordered custom tuned Fox shocks at one time from "Agile OffRoad" for my Sprinter van and they did an excellent job for me helping me improve my suspension. I see that they also sell a lift kit for Promaster vans. I would consider giving them a call and asking them their opinion before I just let Thor throw on Sumo Springs to try to do to solve their generator problem. I would trust their opinion before I would trust Thor. Sumo Springs doesn't even advertise their products as a tool to specifically lift the van with no other changes in the suspension.

https://agileoffroad.com/product/ram...y-van-compass/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Thank you all for another option. I'll look into them all.

For now though, I've ordered the generator rock plate as a starter while I think through the rest.

I also bought a cell phone extender and bit the bullet and purchased a starlink package. I have no idea where I'll store the receiver but if I don't have connectivity, I won't be able to work and that kills a lot of plans.

Agreed that having to jack up the van to address a low hanging generator seems to be a hack of a solution but I'll also agree that the amount of features on this tiny van are incredible and so it isn't shocking that there needs to be some compromises. Between the price and the 'all in package' of stuff from air conditioning to generator and solar, etc - it really is a pretty great ride for $72,000 which is what I paid before taxes, etc. I expected I'd spend a few dollars after that and still come out way ahead vs what one can pay for a B class today. I'm happy with the purchase and overall, the quality has been fine. This will be the 4th van camper I've owned but all the rest were very well used which also came with issues and compromises.

Again, thanks everyone for a great conversation and for lots of direction on solutions. I've learned a lot and appreciate the community support.

Now if I could figure out how to use the radio. WTF is the on / off button on the darn thing? I hate that I have to open the door to get it to turn off but when I want to use it, I have to turn the key? What a bad design and zip on a manual anywhere. Android auto works fine and bluetoothing to it works fine but why the heck would you take away an on and off button? I just don't understand the trend of removing buttons that have worked for decades.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:22 PM   #24
Platinum Member

That's a great price! Which year is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Now if I could figure out how to use the radio. WTF is the on / off button on the darn thing? I hate that I have to open the door to get it to turn off but when I want to use it, I have to turn the key? What a bad design and zip on a manual anywhere. Android auto works fine and bluetoothing to it works fine but why the heck would you take away an on and off button? I just don't understand the trend of removing buttons that have worked for decades.
Depends on your particular model - Thor replaced the stock ProMaster (Accera) with different brands. Mine is a Kenwood, and the on/off button is the center button, via a long-press. Agree that a regular knob to push to turn on/off and turn to adjust the volume would be preferable, but I guess everything is going digital and virtual and touch-screen only.

You should be able to download/pdf/print manuals on the Thor Owners website, after you register with your VIN they will have all of the relevant (and a bunch of irrelevant) manuals ready for you.
https://thor.mizecx.com/login.html

When I got my Rize almost 1.5 years ago I had similar challenges and questions - if you search for "Rize" on this site some of them will come up and if you have the time to read some, you may find some of your questions answered there.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
And do you have the new improved crap Promaster radio with the big screen? lol My van is a 2021 with the base radio... no GPS since it is useless and I just use a Garmin on the dash. If you can find you menu... it is either on the radio or on one of the buttons to the left of the steering wheel. You don't HAVE to open the door. It will eventually shut off by itself. Their usual setting for how long it goes after turning the key off is like 10 or 20 minutes or something, and many complain that is too short. (mine does have the on/off button actually) I think there are setting options. I remember when cars had an accessory key position to run the radio with the engine off, but on the Promaster you just turn the key on... and not turn it to start. Same to use the 12v and usb ports in the cab.

As to the sumos, just call Super Springs (link on post above) and they will tell you which is the best for you. With the 1500, depending on the weight of your unit, it would be the blue or the black. Don't get the yellow, that is for the 2500 or 3500 - could make the ride too stiff. We talked about my basic conversion and they recommended the blue. They are the experts. Be sure to mention the Onan in the back, as that might make a difference.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:45 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Thanks.

I'm registered on the Thor site and scrolled through things out there a few times now but not a manual in site for the Panasonic radio I have. A sentence in it on the Thor Camper Manual but no model. I haven't taken the time to look really closely at the actual piece of equipment in the van. Other things to learn first.

This is a 2023 18A Scope if that helps anyone.

It continues to run after the key is off for some indeterminate amount of time which seems random and whether it is being used or not doesn't seem to affect it. Once it decides to turn off, seems the only way I can get it back on is turn the key. I'm sure that something can make this more usable (I did read yesterday on the site that the source button - long hold - might work but haven't tried that yet).

In the end, I have a wonderful Sonos mobile speaker with a battery and frankly, I might just say screw the radio and use that. It is so incredibly clear sounding and maps to my phone and computer effortlessly but in a tiny van, where to put it so it is secure and out of the way but useful isn't clear either. I may build it a little spot / platform of it's own in a corner and call it a day.

The trend away from an analog button .... grrr. Maybe we'll actually get voice activation to work well and this won't matter much anymore. That would be cool. Having said that, I was in my sister's fancy Tesla yesterday and she couldn't get it to switch to air conditioning which was funny but irritating. We were roasting and finally she hit on the right words to be heard but in the meantime, very distracted driving happening by screwing with the touch screen and yelling out phrases til one worked.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
That's a great price! Which year is it?
Don't feel bad. You purchased during the Covid price frenzy. Thank goodness that is now over and prices are becoming more normal.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #28
Bronze Member

BTW, yea springs are still on the list and I'll definitely call before ordering anything. Appreciate the guidance on the colors. Really isn't all that expensive and to one other comment, the Thor dealer in town punted and wouldn't even talk about them. I'll have to take it to Ram if we decide to not do it ourselves.

I'd much rather have someone say no to work then do something they don't feel confident about.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:11 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm registered on the Thor site and scrolled through things out there a few times now but not a manual in site for the Panasonic radio I have. A sentence in it on the Thor Camper Manual but no model. I haven't taken the time to look really closely at the actual piece of equipment in the van. Other things to learn first.

This is a 2023 18A Scope if that helps anyone.

It continues to run after the key is off for some indeterminate amount of time which seems random and whether it is being used or not doesn't seem to affect it. Once it decides to turn off, seems the only way I can get it back on is turn the key. I'm sure that something can make this more usable (I did read yesterday on the site that the source button - long hold - might work but haven't tried that yet).

In the end, I have a wonderful Sonos mobile speaker with a battery and frankly, I might just say screw the radio and use that. It is so incredibly clear sounding and maps to my phone and computer effortlessly but in a tiny van, where to put it so it is secure and out of the way but useful isn't clear either. I may build it a little spot / platform of it's own in a corner and call it a day.

The trend away from an analog button .... grrr. Maybe we'll actually get voice activation to work well and this won't matter much anymore. That would be cool. Having said that, I was in my sister's fancy Tesla yesterday and she couldn't get it to switch to air conditioning which was funny but irritating. We were roasting and finally she hit on the right words to be heard but in the meantime, very distracted driving happening by screwing with the touch screen and yelling out phrases til one worked.
Ha, that's hilarious about the Tesla. I have never sat in one so I can only imagine. Is it true they just have a single pedal?

You are right about the radio - they connected it to the chassis, so if you're camping somewhere, you can't use it unless you turn on the ignition (bad idea!). On my Kenwood, there is a time-out I can program in, but the max i think is 10 min or something like that. And... it stops immediately if the drivers door is opened. I guess they're doing this to protect dummies from running down their batteries.
I have thought about adding a switch to flip between chassis and house battery, but with the Maestro/OBD2 stuff it is probably a bit more complex, and in the meantime, like you, I got a mobile speaker (Soundcore) which works well when we're staying somewhere.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:13 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
BTW, yea springs are still on the list and I'll definitely call before ordering anything. Appreciate the guidance on the colors. Really isn't all that expensive and to one other comment, the Thor dealer in town punted and wouldn't even talk about them. I'll have to take it to Ram if we decide to not do it ourselves.

I'd much rather have someone say no to work then do something they don't feel confident about.
Did you show them the TSB I linked earlier? Maybe it doesn't apply to your model year, and they already updated the generator position on yours.

It's definitely not something you want to drive much on bumpy forest roads calling for 4x4 and lots of clearance.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #31
Bronze Member

It was very funny and I think my sister was embarrassed by the lack of ease in switching it over. We went from below zero temps to like 80 yesterday in a period of days so I'm sure it was still on heater mode but still. Stupid.

The Tesla has a gas and brake pedal (I think) but yea, everything else seems to run off the computer or simply by it's own decision. I've never driven one. It is a very fast and zippy car but you do feel like your bottom is scraping along.

I do remember in my walk through them telling me the radio runs off the cabin battery but even the really great lady who gave me the overview kind of punted on the radio. I didn't press it because frankly, figured how hard could it be....I also was a lot more concerned about other features.
Old 05-04-2023, 05:45 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
I do remember in my walk through them telling me the radio runs off the cabin battery but even the really great lady who gave me the overview kind of punted on the radio. I didn't press it because frankly, figured how hard could it be....I also was a lot more concerned about other features.
Thor (and I suppose every other upfitter) always switches things around which makes it difficult for the dealers, and even Thors own cust service, to give you always correct info.

For example, in these Rize/Scope models, you will find Pioneer, Kenwood, and (apparently now also) Panasonic head units. I believe originally they had wired them to the house battery, not sure though, as then you would always have to turn on the cabin switch in order to listen to the radio.

So, treat anything you are told with a grain (or bucket) of salt. Especially on online forums.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:46 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:

Either the Thor dealer or the Promaster dealer would just totally overcharge you. lol When I had my first ones put on, I just went to a mechanic up the street... that I had seen there for years, but never been there... and there were pick-ups on his lot. If he can work on a pickup, he can work on a van. You don't even need to take the tires off. All you need is a good heavy duty jack to raise the rear. The OEM bump stop screws off... and you screw the new one on. The front is a bit more fidgety because you have to fit the pieces inside the Springs. Turns out dishwashing soap works great to slip it in. I'm sure that your dad and brother could do it.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-05-2023, 02:50 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
For example, in these Rize/Scope models, you will find Pioneer, Kenwood, and (apparently now also) Panasonic head units.

So, treat anything you are told with a grain (or bucket) of salt. Especially on online forums.
So true... lol

Of course in the last 2-3 years the supply lines have been so difficult, that I suspect that they put in any radio they could find. And I suspect that none of them were installed correctly to maintain connection to the Promaster computer system.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-05-2023, 01:40 PM   #35
Bronze Member

Pioneer...I looked closely today and it is NOT a Panasonic. Correcting that mis-statement.

Hey, another question to all you folks - can I run my Truma heater when the van is winterized and if so, how? I was shown to turn on the heat to the temp I wanted and then turn on the hot water heater. I doubt like heck I'm supposed to run the hot water heater without water in it. Do I just turn on the thermostat and ignore the hot water heater?

I think we're past the real danger zone (I expect another freeze yet but it shouldn't be enough to hurt the van pipes I wouldn't think) so I could put water in it.....but it would be great to know it could run without water in it.

My cell phone extender came last night so we're putting that on today. Looks very easy to do. I don't have a ladder but I do have the Thule rack I can use and then slip it in the back door?

Teresa
Old 05-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey, another question to all you folks - can I run my Truma heater when the van is winterized and if so, how? I was shown to turn on the heat to the temp I wanted and then turn on the hot water heater. I doubt like heck I'm supposed to run the hot water heater without water in it. Do I just turn on the thermostat and ignore the hot water heater?
The Truma furnace function can be run without water in the Truma hot water tank. But if the Truma water heater function is enabled without water in the tank, you'll damage the Truma. Also, one should never run either the furnace or hot water when there is RV antifreeze in the hot water tank. If there is antifreeze in the Truma tank, you'll have to flush it before turning on either the heat or hot water.

When winterizing, let the Truma drain, bypass the Truma, and leave it empty. Don't put any antifreeze in it.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:08 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Yep, just don't turn on the hot water function on the Truma. Keep in mind you need propane and juice to run this (obviously). The juice is to keep the propane solenoid engaged, and the Truma fan running.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:29 PM   #38
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone. For absolute clarity: i turn on the thermostat, set it to the level I want and am good. Don't touch the hot water.

Also, I need to make really sure when winterized that I drain and bypass the 'boiler' function and keep the antifreeze out of it.

so I basically run the heater while on bypass and yep, need power for the fans and propane for the heat.

I wonder why she linked the two things together. Simply because they are side by side functions on the controller I suppose and a lot of videos also roll from one to another. Probably where my confusion came from.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder why she linked the two things together. Simply because they are side by side functions on the controller I suppose and a lot of videos also roll from one to another. Probably where my confusion came from.
The two main functions of the Truma are heating the cabin, and/or heating the water. So it makes sense to me to talk about both when talking Truma, but yes, they can be used completely independent from each other.

(Can't speak to winterizing as I am lucky not having to do that)
Old 05-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #40
Bronze Member

I'm sure I'll be a winterizing expert by next fall....heading south for 3 months but Nov in ND...gonna freeze.