Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2023, 04:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Temp Sensor Placement

Just bought a BMPro SmartTemp sensor that connects with my BMPro/RVMaster multiplex panel. I want it to give me the outside temperature while being parked.

Where would you put it?

I figure it should be in a place where it does not get hit by direct sun. Also, not being affected by the temperature inside the camper. And ideally not too close to exhaust/cat/engine so it does not get as much heat from those, although after a couple of hours that should equalize with the surroundings.

I thought about sticking it into one of those magnetic key holders.

Where and how did you stick yours?
Old 01-18-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are no good locations as far as I can tell. I have installed multiple temp sensors, including hardwired ones. Every one of them gives different readings depending on the conditions around the camper. With multiple locations I can pick the one I most believe. Mounting the temp sensor under the van tends to give you overly high readings due to radiated solar heat from the pavement in hot weather. Mounting it on the sides makes it susceptible to solar heating if the sun is from that direction. Placing it behind a shielding panel can reduce the solar heating effect but then you end up with the readings being affected by the heat stored by the vehicle.

The outdoor sensor for the PM is on the underside of the driver's side mirror, which is about as good a place as any given the challenges with every other mounting location.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
There are no good locations as far as I can tell. I have installed multiple temp sensors, including hardwired ones. Every one of them gives different readings depending on the conditions around the camper. With multiple locations I can pick the one I most believe. Mounting the temp sensor under the van tends to give you overly high readings due to radiated solar heat from the pavement in hot weather. Mounting it on the sides makes it susceptible to solar heating if the sun is from that direction. Placing it behind a shielding panel can reduce the solar heating effect but then you end up with the readings being affected by the heat stored by the vehicle.

The outdoor sensor for the PM is on the underside of the driver's side mirror, which is about as good a place as any given the challenges with every other mounting location.

Yep, no one place works with the sun moving and all the rest.

We finally just put our remote wireless sensor in a zip lock bag with a magnate. I can open any door and stick it to the van body out of the sun. Hardest part is remembering to bring it in before we drive away
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks guys! And here I thought you had it all figured out.

I bought the key hider thing that I linked above, and it is big enough for the temp sensor. So I put it in there with a bit of shock-proofing (without insulating it toooo much) and stuck it under the camper, on top of the bracket that holds the propane cylinder. Magnets seem ok, but I wrapped it with a ziptie just to make sure it doesn't fly off while driving.

Good point about the asphalt capturing and radiating heat. I guess it would take a while to equilibrate. It will be a process of learning, while monitoring the temp and maybe take along another thermometer to spot check.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

If you want it to work all the time while stopped just set it on a leveling block underneath the coach.

I usually just want to know the evening and night time temps so I put it in the spare tire under it’s cover. Error while driving and when in direct sun. Don’t have to worry about leaving it or running over it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote