Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
for us 2000's Chevy owners, disconnecting the vehicle battery for an extended period will "reset" the ECM computer.

the vehicle will run rough and not maintain idle until it has gathered new data based on start/stop cycles and temperatures

This does not appear to be harmful, but can be disconcerting to the driver

on my van I have a battery tender on a timer which comes on every night

on my rarely used 72 Eldo I have a harbor freight solar cell which keeps it topped up.
the solar doesn't have a regulator- but 4 years of use and measurements show that the higher 18~20 volt, low current at about 150mA are ok for the AGM battery

Mike

Try letting it idle for 5-10 minutes after a battery disconnect and you probably won't see any noticeable oddities when you drive it afterwards. Most of the vehicles are "learning" what the fuel is compared to the base fuel map settings in the PCM. It will run the mixture up and down a few times and see where the stoich point is with the O2 sensors and put a correction on the mixture control to match the fuel.

They do this all the time you are driving it also, at idle for the most part IIRC, to keep up with what fuel is being used. Most of the time, the fuels are close together so not noticeable, but it can be way off when starting from baseline because of no battery. It can take much long than the 5-1 minutes if you are driving because you aren't at idle much.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #22

Default Trik-L-Start vs Battery Tender Jr.

Because of my previous stated concerns I finally decided to use the Battery Tender Junior. I bought an additional DC auxillary plug from Amazon that was made to go with the Battery Tender. I plugged the Battery Tender into the AC plug in the side doorway and plug the other end into the dash. This works fine when plugged into shore power. The only down side is one needs to plug and unplug from the dash if like me you also use that plug for a GPS or other device.
CJBill is offline   Reply With Quote